Privateer 2: The Darkening
Wing Commander Privateer 2 was created in the wake of Wing Commander III as the cinematic video step up for the Privateer subseries. Erin Roberts developed the game with a more modest budget in the UK. The main character, Ser Lev Arris, was played by Clive Owen. He was supported by Christopher Walken, David Warner, Jürgen Prochnow, Mathilda May and John Hurt. The game took place about 120 years after Wing Commander IV in an isolated pocket of space known as the Tri-System. Planet Anhur was been home to humans for some two thousand years, and the locals independently developed faster-than-light drives from the Confederation. The futuristic setting lets players utilize advanced jump gates, short-range time travel devices and massive cargo haulers. In addition to the traditional build-up phase and story portions of the game, Privateer 2 peppers the experience with random cinematic mini plot missions. Certain upgrades are only available once these subplots have been completed, and entire character arcs are explored with recorded video cutscenes separate from the main story.
You regain consciousness, and the unfamiliar faces around you inform you that you've lost your ship in an accident. You're new to this cutthroat world of Tri-System privateers, and now your only order of business is survival. You've got just enough credits to afford a new ship, but it's going to need upgrades if you expect to live for long. The sector is full of people willing to do business, but who can be trusted? Legal or not, it's time to trade, travel and battle your way through a place where high risk means high yield and those with the brass reap the rewards.
Where to buy
The easiest way to enjoy the game on a modern computer and operating system, is to buy it as a digital download from Good Old Games.
Playing the gameDon't know how to land your ship? Stuck on a particularly difficult mission? The following items may be of help:
Included game documentation
"Crius Hospital Rehabilitation Guide" and "Guide to Space Travel"
In-universe manuals from the UK edition. more...
"Your Guide to the Universe"
In-universe manual from the US edition. more...
Lists all keyboard, mouse and joystick commands in the game. more...
A schematic map of the Tri-System universe. The European Privateer 2 didn't come with this map originally, but the EA Classics reissue did. more...
Patches, enhancements and tools
- Enhancement patch: Fixes crashes and game speed, deinterlaces video, updates DOS version to Windows, and much more.
- Savegame editor: Edit money balance, player ship, loadout and cargo, and much more.
- Spacesuit mode: Play as a laser-welding spaceman, with a single laser and jetpack.
- Das Erwachen: A German-language fan novel
- Screenshot archive: A fan-created screenshot archive. Contribute your own!
- Completionist checklist: A simple checklist of things to accomplish in the game.
- Dialogue deciphering: A community effort to transcribe the game's cutscenes.
- Game data extraction: A community effort to understand (and modify) Privateer 2's data files.
- Texture palettes explained: Information on how Privateer 2 implements texture palettes.
- Language conversion observations: Research into converting between English, German and French versions of the game.
Cast & crew interviews
- James Hannigan, Classic FM, February 2015
- Clive Owen, Reddit AMA, March 2014
- Diane Duane, Personal blog, May 25, 2012
- Diane Duane, io9, November 2010
- James Hannigan, Square Enix Music Online, March 2010
- J. Allen Brack, WC CIC, August 2006
- Erin Roberts, WC CIC, August 11, 2006
- Paul Hughes, WC CIC, August 11, 2006
- Paul Hughes, Origin, January 14, 1997
- Erin Roberts, WC CIC, 1996
- Joystick #74, France, September 1996
Behind the scenes
Detailed release information
Windows 95 PC Original
- Published by Electronic Arts
- Released 1996-12-06
The original release. A fan-made patch adds video de-interlacing and fixes numerous bugs.