Ser Lin Kuei Ominae has further researched Privateer 2 and discovered it's relatively easy to switch between regional versions. For his testing, a German copy was converted into English, but this should also apply for the French edition. Simply copying a number of key files into the game's installation folder (typically C:\Dark) will drive one language to another. Here's a couple of shots that highlight some interesting comparisons, and details of the conversion process are beneath that.
I managed to convert my German P2D into an English one (thanks Mincemeat for the files) and noticed some small differences:criticalmass suggests NHK stands for "Netzwerk für Handel & Kommunikation."
For those who are interested, the following files are needed to convert the game into a different language:
- The shortcut NHK instead of CCN in the booth welcome screen. I still don't know for what the 3 letters NHK could stand for as the text below actually gives the shortcut KKN which is also a quite accurate translation from the english text
- A different background in the P.A.D. with a quite simple done removal of the smaller "Personal Access Directory" text
- The small added suffix "verstorben" (eng "deceased") in the german Larn Regis and Douglas Pemtur entries as well as the missing title "Nurse" ("Pfleger") in the german Douglas Pemtur entry
- The different name of the papogod clan which is called papago in german. However even the english one isn't consistent as it is called papagod in the text and papogod in the headline. I wonder what's actually the correct name of this clan.
P.S.: it would be cool if someone with a French (or other language) version could post the pictures here too.
- Booth.iff - text in the booth like the welcome screen
- Dani.big - the audio of the ships computer voiced by Dani Behr
- Gameflow.iff - text that is displayed in menus (e.g. load game), pad (name of the transits, e.g "customs", "You Are Here"), planetary interior (e.g "exit to transit", "enter booth"), text between fmv's (the text of the 2 plot-choices), text of the various commodities, weapons, ships, systems, missiles, Bulletin board text "Reward"/"Tons"/"Hire
- Isets.iff - the audio that Lev Arris speaks between the FMV when the player has to make a plot-choice
- Mission*.iff (0-9,m,r) - the text of the missions and diary entries
- Pad.iff - the text on the P.A.D. like the "exit" button and the background images.
- Speech.big - the voices of the different pilots