Hi All, as you may have seen in DefianceIndustries' WCP:MUP thread I have been working on extending or removing some of the upper limits in the Vision engine.
It all started when I seen that DefianceIndustries was working on high definition models and slicing them in to parts to stay within Visions mesh detail limits. This method, although ingenious, has some issues, especially when working with cap ships, so I decided to try and find out why the game crashes when models are too detailed. After finding the cause and creating a fix I decided to expand to other limits that are hit when pushing the engine.
The idea is this dll can be used in new or existing mods to enhance the experience. The dll is compatible with Prophecy, Secret Ops CD and Secret Ops web release. Let me know if you are interested.
The intention is to continue to develop this patch, not only to extend limits as they're found, but to be able to modify options via the config file that were previously not configurable through IFF files. Ideas and suggestions welcome. Here's an image of what this patch is able to do:
- Maximum normals (NORM/VTNM) per mesh increased from 1024 to 9999999
- Maximum renderable objects increased from 256 to 30000
- Maximum number of different types of objects increased (ships, bullets, asteroids)
- Memory Management modified to allow the limit increases
- Frame rate can be changed via config file
- Frame rate counter can be enabled via config file
60,000 triangles and running at 140 fps. This engine has a lot to give.
Special thanks to HCl for his dll patching tutorial and DefianceIndustries for helping with early teething problems with the dll.