capi3101's latest role-playing project is an exciting "pen and paper" translation of Wing Commander Armada! The setup is fun and easy: players can use any Wing Commander sector for their battle. Gameplay pieces are comprised of capi's printable WC tokens and several dice. The rules have been summarized at the wikia WCRPG page here, and a printable rules PDF is also available at the CIC Forums. Give it a try and let everyone know what you think!
One of the big problems with creating all those counter sheets is that I really didn't have any specific pnp games in mind when I did them. True, I was pretty sure I could use some of them with TacOps (and later WCRPG), but the vast majority of them would be sitting unused for who knows how long. So, I decided since no games yet existed that would take advantage of those counters, I should probably make a few. And a pnp adaptation of Armada seemed like a good place to start.
I'm happy to announce that I completed the first draft of Wing Commander Armada: PNP this afternoon. The rules are currently online at the WCRPG wiki, at http://wcrpg.wikia.com/wiki/Wing_Commander:_Armada_PNP. The game is a reasonably faithful adaptation of the original (at least in my humble opinion). Of the counter sheets, it only requires the logo sheet (used as "Production Points" and "Claim Tokens") and the Armada Strategic sheet. I will probably need to work up some custom maps at some point; right now the rules suggest using the maps available from CIC.
The game is a first draft and it has yet to really be playtested at all (though I did do a pretty thorough check of the combat system while drafting the long combat example), so I'd definitely appreciate some help on that front. Anyone who has any comments, questions, concerns, complaints, etc. regarding the game may reply to this thread.
I hope y'all like it, share and enjoy, and so forth...
The voting period is starting to wind down, but it's not too late to make a difference! This is the last week to vote for nominees of the CIC's annual Fan Project & Web Site of the Year awards, and results will be posted next weekend. Head over to the voting page if you haven't cast your vote yet!
Fan Projects of the Year
- Enigma 2666 began as a remake of Wing Commander 2, but has evolved into its own fledgling campaign. Deathsnake made steady progress all year long, including a couple of brief playable test releases.
- OpenGL for Prophecy & Secret Ops offers substantially enhanced graphics for these two classic games. Pedro and Popsicle Pete's improvements in 2011 include new graphical assets, support for the WCP demo and compatibility with the Enhancement Pack that enables high resolution, multiplayer and DVD movie playback.
- Rapid Prototype Mini Models include major contributions from several people: Astro Commander, AAN and Klavs independently continued to expand how many of these amazing ships there are. The paint jobs are just incredible!
- Remote Control Dralthi & Morningstar is one that's hard to believe exists! Chris Carpenter has worked some aerodynamic magic to make physical Wing Commander models that actually fly.
- Standoff still serves as the gold standard for Wing Commander game mods, and in 2011 they released patches for 64-bit versions of Windows and new ATI video cards. Dedicated fans of the game, Ilanin and wcnut, even helped complete mission walkthroughs and a Macintosh port!
- Tactical Operations Online made consistent progress all year long with new features and test games. Avacar has taken an already great tabletop game and successfully brought it to the Internet.
Web Sites of the Year
- HCl's Wing Commander Editing Site offers an amazing assortment of editing tools for all sorts of Wing Commander games. HCl made considerable progress this year decompressing file formats used in WC games, and he published one such tool to grab Privateer 2 text in addition to several collaborative works.
- Paper Commander released half a dozen new models this year, including designs from guest modeler Thunderchild. All of the newest designs even include integrated paper stands!
- Shotglass' Site launched this year as a useful new Wing Commander hub for German-speaking fans. The site continues to be frequently updated with WC news and other stories of interest to Wingnuts.
- Tactical Operations serves as the base of operations for Ironduke's tabletop WC RPG. The fun role playing game is the inspiration for the online variant up for nomination in the Fan Project section, and it also works with capi's counter tokens.
- WC Saga kept fans up to date on the latest beta test progress at their project's website. The frequent updates on the mod's development status will surely continue throughout 2012.
- Wedge's Wing Commander Site is one of the most complete archives of WC information on the internet. It's a prime collection of organized resources in addition to displaying its own content.
Don't forget to vote here!