Hobbes scene

It just... doesn't make sense that way... why not just believe that he didn't have a personality overlay of any sort?

Well, I always wanted to believe the Hobbes we knew was somehow the real Hobbes, not because there's any logic in that view (indeed, it's entirely unlogical) but simply because he was one of my favouritest characters.

Meanwhile, I recall reading a Chris Roberts interview some time back in... oh, I dunno, 1995 probably. And in that interview, I think (although my memory could be faulty) that he said that they had always intended for Hobbes to be a traitor. I wish I could remember what exactly he said, but alas, so long ago. The magazine in which the interview was, if anyone's interested, is an Australian magazine called "Hyper". I don't know what issue, though.

Yay! Go Hyper>>! (It is actually called Hyper>> for some strange reason)

And I know it's illogical, but we can always believe. :)

I never liked the cat from the beginning.

Then again, this may have been because I played WC4 firs, then WC3, the complete set of WC1 and 2, with all the add-ons.

Oh well, I'll never know... :)

Playing WC2, then WC1, then WC3/4 later will put your perspective in check. Better yet, it would have been nice to play in order first time. Then you would have seen why Blair didn't like Hobbes on the first encounter.

I felt so miserable when I found out that Hobbes was the traitor. I liked him SOOO much. Also I find the explanation of the identity overlay a bit shallow. I mean Thrakhath could not have known about the Behemoth at the time of SM2 (OK, he could but it seems highly unlikely to me) so for what purpose was Hobbes. I mean a sleeping agent for 15 years. Hobbes has done so much harm to the Empire in that time or he could have brought victory to the Kilrathi so often respectively, I really think the writers of the WC3 script just wanted another shocking event in WC3.
And shocking it was... :(

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I felt so miserable when I found out that Hobbes was the traitor. I liked him SOOO much. Also I find the explanation of the identity overlay a bit shallow. I mean Thrakhath could not have known about the Behemoth at the time of SM2 (OK, he could but it seems highly unlikely to me) so for what purpose was Hobbes. I mean a sleeping agent for 15 years. Hobbes has done so much harm to the Empire in that time or he could have brought victory to the Kilrathi so often respectively, I really think the writers of the WC3 script just wanted another shocking event in WC3.
And shocking it was... :(

Well in WC2, there was no indication that the war would end soon. Just look at our great old neighbor in the east, the famous Düjtsche Demögrohtische Repübigg. They had invaded Western Germany with many sleepers that were never reactivated, they were just given targets that they should destroy if there ever came a war. I think Thrakhath did it the same way, he waited until there was a real threat (well it seems a bit strange to me, however, that he reactivated Hobbes even though Thrakhatch didnt even know anything about the Behemoth, but as the Kilrathis were very close to their final attack run, Thrakthath might have known that Tolwyn had planned some desperation attacks and thus calling Hobbes home) Additionally, Hobbes certainly was under constant supervision, as no one trusted him ever. It took therefore a lot of time for Hobbes to get a high clearance so that he really got insight into classified projects, and in WC2 he didn't have access to these things yet.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but Ralgha was "awoken" after the successful Behemoth test? I can see where the cats may have detected it. Plus there may have been a few Mandarins or other spies left that supplied Thrak with the info that the thing was in the works. I guess Thrak figured if Hobbes was accepted by Confed as legit, he would over time, be allowed better and better access as he proved turstworthy. It does seem that there might have been another couple time when he might have used Hobbes, but he usually had some other type of spy to assist him, Jazz (WC2), Mynx (SO2), Confed's Secretary of State (Fleet Action.) SO1 would have been about the only other time when waking him might have made sense. Though Thrak's escape in SO2 does seem more suspicious. I wonder how easy it was to turn him off and on?

Originally posted by redwolf

Humans were quite ignorant of the nuances of Kilrathi society. Hobbes would've been their best source, so anyting he says, goes.

Not really, they had Kirha too....in fact, they should've known quite a bit by WC2

Sonntag, you may be right with yopur example of the DDR. Still, Hobbes had plenty of opportunities to sabotage Confed in those 15 years. He was already a Colonel in WC2 and worked for the Secret Ops. And why did Thrakhath let him escape with Fralthi full of vital information? Why not let him defect in a single fighter?

Why not let him defect in a single fighter?

That made it look much more realistic. Just look at WW2, after the Enigma code was hacked, the Allies continued to sacrifice ships so that the Germans didn't realise it was hacked, and in the same way Thrakhath sacrificed a cruiser

You are almost convincing me... but no! I just HAVE to believe that Hobbes was turned traitor in the WC3 script because they wanted a shocking treachery. If you want, I perhaps just don't want to face thwe truth in that case. :)

You are almost convincing me... but no! I just HAVE to believe that Hobbes was turned traitor in the WC3 script because they wanted a shocking treachery. If you want, I perhaps just don't want to face thwe truth in that case. :)

Well I was absolutely 100% sure after having played WC2 that Hobbes could NEVER be a traitor... But if it is true that Chris Roberts had planned it a long time before, we have to live with it. BTW, how were the scripts for the WC games written? I mean in Star Wars we know that George Lucas had planned almost everything even before he started with the first movie. I'd guess that at least the Prophecy script was written and invented after WC4 (LOAF do you know anything about this?)

So that would mean that Hobbes had a secret agenda after he defected. I remember reading his note to the other pilots, saying he was disgruntled on how his race was not winning the war as they anticipated, along with the many losses they took. He surrendered his ship and crew. Then he kills Cobra and runs away like a cat caught in a trash can. Indeed, a "shocker".

RFB

Hobbes disapproved with the ways this war was fought (at least, that's what he said).

Hobbes was a honourable warrior, just like Blair. (I believe him when he explains his motives for the defection, as he did not know that he was a traitor, so he was not betraying anybody knowingly. I think that attacking civilians would be unhonorable slaughter (Compare Privateer if you get hit many times: Fight back, there is no honor in slaughter!), so I wonder whether the Kilrathis had problems with their morale.

What happened to the rebellion of Ghora Khar, BTW? why did these kilrathis fight with the humans?

Sonntag, you may be right with yopur example of the DDR. Still, Hobbes had plenty of opportunities to sabotage Confed in those 15 years. He was already a Colonel in WC2 and worked for the Secret Ops. And why did Thrakhath let him escape with Fralthi full of vital information? Why not let him defect in a single fighter?
It seems likely to me that Thrakhath was not expecting Hobbes to defect to the humans. I think Hobbes was originally supposed to infiltrate the rebels at Ghorah Khar. After all, how could Thrak know that Hobbes would be the one dispatched to the humans? Even Hobbes didn't realise until the very end.
Thrak was probably just trying to ensure that at some point in the none-too-distant future, he could destroy the entire rebellion in a single action - something that he'd need excellent intelligence for. This theory seems to be supported by the fact that he was unable to eradicate the rebellion between Hobbes' defection and WC2.

You think Hobbes was an overlay personality to fool the Kilrathi rebels? Hmm, I never thought about that. I always thought that Thrak knew that the rebels wanted to send someone to the humans or that Hassa was part of Thrak's plan.

Back