Hobbes scene

Well... the 'interrogation' in Freedom Flight (written before WC2 was released) lends credence to the fact that Hobbes' was always a traitor -- in it, Hobbes has been accused of being a traitor by local authorities and is being interrogated. Thrakhath shows up at the prison and free's him... a bit suspicious!

Then, of course, there's his mysterious escape during SO1...:)

That said, Hobbes wasn't really a spy in WC2 -- he was a sleeper agent, and wasn't *activated* until he heard Thrakhath say 'heart of the tiger' in WC3.

WC3 3DO used an engine similar to WC2 rather than WC3 -- so the ships couldn't have fly through bays... you start off your missions in space (after a neat cut-scene of your fighter taking off and flying out of the carrier).

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Well... the 'interrogation' in Freedom Flight (written before WC2 was released) lends credence to the fact that Hobbes' was always a traitor -- in it, Hobbes has been accused of being a traitor by local authorities and is being interrogated. Thrakhath shows up at the prison and free's him... a bit suspicious!
Mmmhh.. pardon me, but when does Freedom Flight take place? BEFORE or AFTER SO2? Indeed, if Hobbes had already gone renegade, then it seems HIGHLY suspicious that Thrakh came to free him...

But now you've started to know me LOAF, I prefer to stick to "game" history when it comes to "what to trust"... ;)
Which brings me to the next point:

Then, of course, there's his mysterious escape during SO1...
You know, I never thought about it THAT way... It makes a lot of sense...
The question is, was this skilfully done by the programmers in order to leave the option of Hobbes' treason open, while at the same time leaving the player doubtless about his integrity, at least before he kills Cobra in WC III... or was it a mere coincidence?

You know I like to nitpick, but here I'd tend to believe the former...
HOBBES, HOW COULD YOU!!! :(

That said, Hobbes wasn't really a spy in WC2 -- he was a sleeper agent, and wasn't *activated* until he heard Thrakhath say 'heart of the tiger' in WC3.
Wow, you make it sound as if he was a "robot"...
I really didn't get this part... was "Heart of the Tiger" a signal that Hobbes and Thrakhath had agreed upon before he went renegade?

[Edited by mpanty on 04-04-2001 at 12:16]

Freedom Flight is *before* SO2... (far before) -- it's a Hunter story that includes the back-story of Ralgha's defection (it's also written by the same woman who did SM2, WC2 and the SOs...). Ralgha was imprisoned on Ghorah Khar by Jakhai, and Thrakhath came and free'd him... and then an old friend of Ralghas to whom he is oath-sworn tells him he has to take the Ras Nik'hra to Firekka... and he does!

Anyway, "Hobbes" was a personality overlay -- a fake personality created by the Kilrathi... when he heard the name "Heart of the Tiger", he reverted to his original Kilrathi persona.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Anyway, "Hobbes" was a personality overlay -- a fake personality created by the Kilrathi... when he heard the name "Heart of the Tiger", he reverted to his original Kilrathi persona.
So it was a "signal" arranged BEFORE... A signal that had to do with his spy mission

Or was it some kind of "Kilrathi honor" thing? :confused:
(this is really confusing...)

LOAF, I have read that part (since its on the game box), Jakhai is nothing that a low born trying to act as a noble, Thrakhath free Ralgha because Jakhai cannot prove anything...
Also unless the autor knew what would happen in WC III (I doubt that) he never try to put anything like that in the novel since Ralgha part is not of a deep mole.
I know that you try to put everthing to fit together and in this case we know that Thrakhath knows how deep Ralgha loyalty to him is :).
We must rememeber that the autors have diferent ideas at the time that novels came out, they dont know the future.

Yes Dragon, but we must admit that LOAF is extremely skilfull in trying to make everything coincide (ggrrrrr... WC IV!!)...

He digged up many arguments very hard to disprove... and although what you say makes sense (I'm handicapped here, I didn't read Freedom Flight :( ), I have to admit that Thrakhath's escape from the Bonnie Heather is kind of suspicious...

(LOAF, I STILL maintain my opinion concerning the Price of Freedom novel... :p )

[Edited by mpanty on 04-04-2001 at 12:35]

I'm not saying that Freedom Flight *explains* Hobbes' defection... that scene from Wing Commander 3 does that well enough -- I'm just saying that once you know that that scene in WC3 exists, you can view the Freedom Flight bit in a completely different light.

But anyway... look at the scene -- *why* was it in the novel, if it's not a prelude to his being a spy? Why was it included in all the later releases of WC2?

:rolleyes:
LOAF, its a nice part of the novel (in my case half of what I read) that simply the way to show how hobbes is sick of the Kilrathi imperial way.
Besides you are telling that the autor already knew the WC III script, I dont think so.

No, I'm saying that they'd already planned the WC3 script. We know the WC3 script was developed around the same time -- hence "TO BE CONCLUDED IN WING COMMANDER 3" at the end of SO2...

And the section doesn't really show that he's sick of the Empire at all -- Thrakhath *saves* him!

Originally posted by redwolf
Wedge: what uni? I'm at UWA...we get 4 mb a day...

So much for being a 'leading university'... (well for women thats a different story :D)
Huh? What's the bit about 'leading uni' supposed to mean? I'm at Macquarie in Sydney, our comp accounts allow a max of 50MB, but we have serious restrictions on the types of files we can download.

As for the Hobbes: traitor-or-not thing, I like to think as Quarto does an believe that it was the 'evil' Ralgha who was the overlay, and not the 'friendly' Hobbes. :)

But I asked about Thrakhath's escape in SO1 before, and that scene where Thrak insults Hobbes' honour was not faked - I think we established that Hobbes really did believe his honour belonged with the Confederation during the time from SM2 to WC3. So I don't believe it was Hobbes who freed Thrakhath.

I don't believe he free'd Thrakhath either -- although it still is suspicious... why *didn't* Thrakhath kill Hobbes then?

Something about it not being honourable to kill another from behind, and Hobbes being one of the few relatives who hasn't tried to kill him. ;)

Odd that he considers someone who supposedly defected with a prized capital ship and supposedly valuable tactical information to the enemy to be a person who *hasn't* tried to kill him. :)

Well... it just makes more sense at the time, when you don't know anything past SO2, and you believe that Hobbes is on your side. It does, however, make an interesting point in favour of the 'personality overlay' experiment. I did suggest at one point too, that Hobbes could have been infected with the overlay during that escape from the Bonnie Heather. At least, in my mind, that would have made Hobbes the real personality, and the Trigger personality the fake one.

They could have known by the SO's that Hobbes was going to be a traitor in WC3. THey could have been thinking that far ahead and thats why Thrakhath let him live.

No, we know that the Hobbes persona was fake... because we're told specifically that the Hobbes persona is fake <G>

It's just suspicious how Thrakhath *always* lets Ralgha survive... first at the interrogation, and then on the Heather.

Fine. But if others have their fanfic, then I can believe that Hobbes was real. Call it a tragedy, then at the back of the WC3 box, it can have action, comedy, suspense, romance, tragedy, etc.

Thrakhath lets Ralgha survive because he needs him. That being said, the ConFeds wouldn't get suspicious if an answer such as 'Thrak didn't kill me as it would have been dishonourable' was used.

Humans were quite ignorant of the nuances of Kilrathi society. Hobbes would've been their best source, so anyting he says, goes.

On the side, why didn't they kill Thrak. Did they really believe there would be other kats worse than him? God, were they proven wrong when all the slaves were ordered killed!

Back