Hobbes scene

Sonntag

Spaceman
I just found the Hobbes scene on WCNEWS, so now I finally know what happened to him. I just don t understand why my German WC3 PC version doesnt include it.
Is there any reason why such important scenes were cut out from the WC3 PC Version? Was that due to space restrictions?

Probably. If it wasn't essential, they could have just cut it to save space.

Then again, there are a lot of unessential cutscenes in WC3. I mean, honestly, who here turned transitions off? After the third time of seeing Mark Hamill look around, pause...then walk to the elevator door, pause...then step inside, THEN seeing the elevator move up and down the shaft, and seeing Mark Hamill walk out...honestly.

Maybe the producers didn't want us to feel sorry for Hobbes. I sure didn't! The next time I played the game, I killed him and ejected so fast it made my own head spin.

Probably not the reason, but I wonder if they thought because of the gee-whiz nature of FMV and all they might bring in a whole lot of people who didn't know the background of Hobbes from the other games and Freedom Flight (which I believe was released before WCIII) and thought that it might just confuse them. I doubt it, but a similiar reason was given, iirc abot some of what was cut from the WC Movie.

As for the transiition videos, I also turned them off after a while, but that is because I had seen them and knew what I was missing. Some people might complain if they didn't show the transisitons, at least once, so I think keeping them and giving you the option was a good idea. I'm trying to think of another scene they could have cut, but it has been a while and most of them were either plot points or character development. I guess they could have cut the Flint/Rachel relationship segments, but that was part of the point of being in an interactive movie.

It was due to space limitations -- Wing Commander 3 was published back when CD drives that could only read 60 minute CDs were the norm... (on versions that can support more space -- PSX and 3DO -- it's included, along with a number of other scenes).

The consoles couldn't handle the ground missions so there is a neat little clip in place of the ground action. So you fly to the planet, the clip plays, then fly back to the Vic.

That sucks... I mean, if you're going to make the game, make the game right. Do you have any idea why it couldn't handle the ground stuff? I honestly wouldn't expect a problem. SNES managed to pull off Starfox...

Yeah, I missed the "Glad you made it back alive, sir." or "Looks like it got a little hot out there." Also, the battle damage on your ship made it seem awesome to fly a ship back that had big holes and tears in it.

Well, Rachel's comments got annoying after a while (especially in Prophecy), and the only reason the techs didn't get annoying in WC1/2 was because they didn't actually speak. I thought WC4 was a nice compromise - see the damage, skip the talk (at least until you choose the loadout for the next mission). Completely trashed ships just looked amazing :).

I liked how the transitions seemed to disappear by themselves in WC4. At least they did for me once I started using the map instead of clicking on the exits.

I think we all have a bit of Maniac in us :). Ramming is one of the best ways to kill in WC4. In my case, though, it's usually accidental - I prefer the faster ships (I *love* the Bearcat... if she could jump, infiltrate BL bases and carry a Flash-pak, I wouldn't even touch the Dragon), and I'm always flying about at 100% throttle and afterburners. When you fly like that, collisions are almost unavoidable (and frequently lethal for both sides ;)).

I suppose, granted that we only fly against simulated enemies, we all fly like Maniac instead of Flint as described in Victory Streak. But I tend to go with the heavier ships, so flying at 100% throttle doesn't give me a problem of ramming into other fighters. :)

Eh, the only heavy ships that I really enjoyed were the Raptor (fast for its time), Broadsword and the Crossbow. The Vindicator's quite fun, and the Avenger is better than the Longbow, but if I get a choice, it's Banshee or Bearcat. In a way, it's not surprising that the Bearcat had that awful gun arrangement - if it didn't, who the hell would waste their time with the Dragon? :)

Yes, well, I can certainly see your point... the Dragon can survive not one or two but rather three or four collisions :D. Still, a mere 1200 on afterburners? Not enough, just not enough :).

Originally posted by Sonntag
I just found the Hobbes scene on WCNEWS, so now I finally know what happened to him.
Excuse me, but what scene are you talking about? I can't download it from the CIC right now for space limitations problems (or rather for temporary TOTAL download ban from the university computers :( )...

Can you describe it? :D

Back