Excalibur Paint Job for Movie

I would have to agree with Preacher on the fact that the pilot is seated too far aft.

Additionally, I would disagree with Preacher though when it comes to scaling the pilot up--- I firmly disagree about that, you should assume a 5'9" (1.75 m) to 6' tall (1.82 m) pilot. And keep it within scale. The Excalibur is 32 meters long and that's like 105 feet.

Also. You got the regular model... wouldn't it also be nice to have the ship with landing gears as well? Those are kind of important if you plan on landing ;). Perhaps copy the model, then carve out a landing gear-well (make sure you have the landing-gear doors visible and stuff and the well) and save it as a different model? That way you got the regular one, and you got the version you'd see landing on the deck. If you're making a movie, it should be believeable. I mean the gears fold into the wells, then the doors close over them. Unless you want to make a model that has moving parts and stuff... that would be cool, but too much work most likely (if you're up to the challenge by all means). Animation would be cool though. Especially if you had the ship making it's approach, as it heads in, you could show the landing gear doors open up and the gears lower into position. Or you could show the gears going up just after takeoff.

-Concordia

Concordia: My fighters were built specifically for my WC short animated film, which will take me some time to do. I have no intention of landing any of my fighters, so landing gear would be irrelevant and a waste of time to produce. But thanks for the suggestion. :D

Chernikov: I realize that but I just liked their logo. Perhaps if you can find another logo that is more fitting to the squadron, and just as cool looking, I could use that instead? :D

Oh and jammyo2k, the problem with the Excalibur mesh in SO was not the paint job as much as it was a poor job at a model. It was even lower in polygon count than the WC3/4 Excaliburs and so the lack of detail on the mesh really made it seem uglier than normal. But I would admit the paint job was kind of crappy.

The only note that I can make is that the Flying Tigers were a mercenary/volunteer unit. Perhaps not the ideal nose art for a Confed fighter but great for some BW jobs.

Several WC fighters (including the Thunderbolt and the Arrow) have had the shark-mouth paint schemes.

Originally posted by Chernikov
The only note that I can make is that the Flying Tigers were a mercenary/volunteer unit. Perhaps not the ideal nose art for a Confed fighter but great for some BW jobs.

Anyone for StarLancer?

The Model looks very nice, how long has it taken you to make it cam?
what 3d package were you using?

Oggy you took the words right out of my mouth. The 45th Flying Tigers from Starlancer. Yes the WWII Flying Tigers were a volunteer unit, but they were operating in the Far East long before the US entered the war.

The Starlancer 45th Flying Tigers were named after the WWII Flying Tigers, which was also a volunteer unit. Says so in the game! :D

Loaf, I think he was referring to the Flying Tigers emblem I have not the shark mouth. :)

I ve got a book about them somewhere, apparently the pilots were paid according to how many enemy planes they downed, this caused problems with pilots claiming kills and being accused of leaving their wingmen hanging whilst they chased down more kills

Pilots getting Commission, that would lead to problems. But the Flying Tigers from Starlancer are the best Squadron in the game, since the Vampires were taken down, plus the Ronan

Originally posted by TopGun
Pilots getting Commission, that would lead to problems. But the Flying Tigers from Starlancer are the best Squadron in the game, since the Vampires were taken down, plus the Ronan

'Ronin'

Hardly surprising that the Tigers are the best squadron in the setting. After all, they've got the PLAYER as a pilot. And besides, it would make for a rather screwed up game where every time you turned around you heard, "Well, your squadron pretty much sucks and is the worst in the fleet with the sole exception of you. Ever thought about transferring to a REAL squadron?"

Oggy: I don't remember how long it took, aproximately two to three weeks from what I can remember, modeling it was rather fast, texturing it took a while. I use 3dsmax.

I'm not too knowledgeble in World War II fighter squadrons. I'm still interesting in hearing suggestions for a new emblem though. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Originally posted by Cam
I'm not too knowledgeble in World War II fighter squadrons. I'm still interesting in hearing suggestions for a new emblem though. Does anybody have any suggestions?

This is the 350th Fighter Squadron (1st Brazilian Fighter Group) emblem, the "Jambock" Squadron of P-47s, from WW2:

bolacha.jpg

Uh TC, that was a heavy bomber squadron. :)

I might just stick with the Flying Tigers. They have the coolest emblem. :D

Back