Proof Shotglass lives...

Fighting ships are *supposed* to *fight*... and there's always a risk that the'll be destroyed -- but this doesn't mean they're constantly being sent on suicide missions <G> Tolwyn ordered the Tiger's Claw to delay the Kilrathi -- nothing more... thus, he did not order the carrier on a suicide mission. He ordered it to go do what carriers do.

I cannot see Maniac as a flight instructor or a commanding ship officer. So being an advisor for fighter construction or so is the thing I can imagine for him.

I can't see him working for a manufacturer, either... because that'd require that he leave the military <G>

There are almost certainly laws against (or at least methods preventing) the purchase of a MilSpec fighter... you can go out and buy a Cessna today, if you're very rich... but good luck finding an F-15. :)

(Plus, being an independant test pilot isn't really likely to make him the quarter of a billion credits to just buy a fighter... not to mention the millions necessary to maintain it... <G>)

Well i wasnt talking test pilot, but anyone ever see that Cary Elwes movie, Tank Wars? Had Kelsey Grammar too. It was a true story and if Elwes' character had gone along with the program he would have been very rich. AND there was this little game called Privateer, in which you can purchase combat ships. Im sure with the connections he gained in manufacturing he can beef up his fighters to military standard.

The ships in Privateer are nowhere close to military standard... they're nice for the Gemini sector, but a Centurian is a lumbering dinosaur of a transport compared to the Hellcats and Thunderbolt's that occupy Confed's inventory at the same time <G>

That doesnt mean there arent other sectors where he could purchase other, better ships. Possibly from the Border Worlds, after having made some connections there. He could offer enough money and theyd probably sell him a good ship (good for Border Worlds standard)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
There are almost certainly laws against (or at least methods preventing) the purchase of a MilSpec fighter... you can go out and buy a Cessna today, if you're very rich... but good luck finding an F-15. :)

Actually, this isn't ENTIRELY true ... an F-15 is
off-limits, but you *can* purchase a Mig-21. I've
run into people on the USENET group rec.aviation.military
who have done so. I suspect (but I'm too lazy to do
it now) that a search engine could probably turn
up the name of a company or two selling x-USSR
military equipment -- including supersonic aircraft --
to private citizens. They will, of course, have
their military capability removed (no missiles or
guns) but it's nonetheless a functional aircraft.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

See! All we need is for the US to go horribly bankrupt and then we'll have them BEGGING us to take a few F-15's off their hands. :)

Originally posted by pendell

Actually, this isn't ENTIRELY true ... an F-15 is
off-limits, but you *can* purchase a Mig-21. I've
run into people on the USENET group rec.aviation.military
who have done so. I suspect (but I'm too lazy to do
it now) that a search engine could probably turn
up the name of a company or two selling x-USSR
military equipment -- including supersonic aircraft --
to private citizens. They will, of course, have
their military capability removed (no missiles or
guns) but it's nonetheless a functional aircraft.

Quite right, I read an article about it in Popular Mechanics, people buying Mig-15s and Mig-21s....sadly, such historical US jets as the F-106 Delta Dart cannot be purchased due to the stringent US laws, so none remain in flyable condition in the US. The US military renders planes unflyable before selling to the private sector by breaking the planes 'backbone', a process which is pretty much unfixable.

Hmm, aren't they still flyable when they're in museums? I know the National Air & Space Museum restores all its aircraft to a state where they could theoretically fly...

Originally posted by Supdon3
That doesnt mean there arent other sectors where he could purchase other, better ships. Possibly from the Border Worlds, after having made some connections there. He could offer enough money and theyd probably sell him a good ship (good for Border Worlds standard)

I think the Border Worlders have enough trouble finding enough milspec fighters for their own military, without selling them off to a third party.

Best, Raptor

The Border Worlds are a legitimate government -- not a group of pirates who sit around wondering what the best way to help arm the criminal element is. :)

(Plus, Confed's responsible for their defense now...)

Back