It's been several years since Queeg's Wing Commander 3 movie set download records and gave Wingnuts a concise way to relive the game. Lots has changed in the time since, and new source videos and production software finally makes a modern remake worthwhile. Queeg has set out to redo the movie again with higher quality cutscenes and updated gameplay footage. He's even looking into making his own CGI animation to power the space battles. You can see a two minute sample of the new format here (20 meg Xvid).
I'm currently making a new Wing 3 movie from scratch. Thanks to Mario's extraction tool, I'm able to rip the videos off of my PSX discs directly to uncompressed AVI. I'm editing the uncompressed AVI's directly so they can be encoded straight to the final product, retaining as much quality as possible.
Here are some of the things I'm hoping to achieve:
- Less repetitive, more exciting mission sequences
- Less of shoving in sub and main titles when not needed, preserve more of the original footage
- Better quality video, no nasty frame drops
- Better audio, no loud quiet, loud quiet business
- Different story decisions, (last time made Blair look a bit of an arrogant jerk)