When and How you heard or saw something about WC for the first time?

I was stationed at El Toro Marine Corps Air Station, Calistinkingfornia, 1994.

One of my VGA Planets buddies had Privateer going on his old 386, and said "Check out this cool game!" I watched for a few minutes, didn't get it, and went back to Planets, and my old 8088.
Then in 1995 I got transferred to Okinawa, for a one year unaccompanied tour. I got a VGA Planets group going, but got tired of always having to bum a computer to do turns and stuff. Sooooo, I walked over to Kadena Air Force Base one day and bought the only Pentium computer they had. My trusty dusty AST P-60. I got a cheesy knockoff sound card, and paid $250.00 for a 2X cdrom drive for it. Then I went to look at games. There it was. Wing Commander III. I recognized Mark Hamill and decided to give it a shot. Once the computer was properly configured, I started it. I sat stunned, my mouth hanging open as the intro ran. I never dreamed that such things were possible. I played night and day, If I wasn't working, I was blasting cats. I played it start to finish, over and over again.

Then one of my buddies and I were talking games, and he mentioned he had WC 1 & 2, and Privateer. 1 & 2 ran way too fast on ol' Dusty so I gave Privateer a try. I got it going, and, well, the next thing I know I'm all over Chips & Bits trying to get anything and everything Wing Commander.

I rotated back to the States and ordered WC 4 and P-2 as soon as they were released. I had to get the Kilrathi Saga off ebay, I never saw it in stores. Paid $80.00 for it, but was prepared to go to $300.00. Look at what it goes for now. WHEW! I got Prophecy at a Computer City I was working at, I waited until it got reduced on clearance for $15.00. I got Prophecy Gold from a guy I was bidding against for an entire collection (minus P-2) on ebay. He sniped me at the last minute, but I asked him to sell the P-Gold and WC4 playtest guide for $50.00. He already had those, so he agreed, and I now have all that I can get.

I am now working through disk 4 of Gold, on that same AST Pentium 60, now with a 120 Overdrive, 80 meg RAM, and SoundBlaster Graphics, Sound and CDROM. I think that the only reason that I can run Prophecy on it is because all the sound & video stuff is matched. It locks up once in a while, but I can get through it.

Yes, ol' Dusty's about had it, and I am in the process of building the replacement.

1991, lets see... i was 6 years old. my dad had the greatest computer ever, a Comodore Amiga 500! anyways, The game looked great (even though it couldve and shouldve been so much better, they put no time in converting the pc version to Amiga i think.) but the music and the sound were outstanding (even to the newer Kilrathi Saga redone music)... i played that thing over and over (though the furthest i got back then was to a Scimiter... untill one day the disks got a read/write error (the amiga curse)... but that started the intrest!;)

eh, the Amiga is still the most dependible computer to this day!

I've talked to the guy who did the Amiga conversion of WC -- he put a lot of work into it... the requirement that WC work on an Amiga 500 was what hurt it -- it'd have been fine on later Amigases...

really? do you still have contact with him? if you do, ask him wheather they did it with 16 colors (out of the 4096) or 32. cause the main reason why i said they couldve done so much better is it looked like 16 colors when they couldve done 32 im guessing. that and they filled evry other pixel with a dark grey color, instead of say, all red around it one would be red the next grey, the next red, and i thought it made it look very old and not good looking. but that was mostly for the 2d scenes. the 3d space combat stuff might have been 32 colors cause i know how thin they have to spread the colors in Simulators on the amiga with diffrent angels and stuff so you have to get multiple versions of diffrent blues and stuff. so it could apear like theres not many colors on screen at a time. but im not sure, so if you still have contact with him ask him if it was in 32 if its not to much trouble. thanks;)

ridgerunner, if you can, get Super wing commander. it's a great game and can run on a pc even though it's designed for a mac.

Originally posted by Darkmage
ridgerunner, if you can, get Super wing commander. it's a great game and can run on a pc even though it's designed for a mac.

You know, you don't have to repeat this in EVERY THREAD.

Newflash: computer games run on computers.

1991 my roommate had WC1 on his comp. He wanted me to hook up the stereo and the big screen so we could play in style. Thats the ONLY way to fly.

yes Loaf that true, but will a mac game run on a computer normally? HELL NO! you need a special emulator to do it. in fact a large number of people Don't even know Super wing commander exists.

I'm confused about why you capitalized "Don't" in the middle of a sentence, but nothing at the start of any... and also Super, but not Wing Commander... :(

Unless it's how the Concordia went down or where to find a copy of KS.

I bought my computer at a used computer store and they had Wing Commander Three there. I got it to see how it would work on the computer. ( HP Pentium 133)

:( O.K. How old is too old? 2 days? 3? 7? 2 Weeks? 3? What? If I just read it for the first time, am I not allowed to post? Why isnt it locked if I cant post? I saw a poll for the first time, voted in it, and got yelled at.

Back