WC4 Remake

I appreciate the work effort, however I always hated the Cockpitframe, since it is blocking vision. WCP style is ok tough.

BTW: Can you guys make a WCP all in one patch including the enhanced starfield patch, enhanced shipmodels, HD Vids etc. all in one package as an installer? That would be great, since it is hard to keep track what to install in which order :D

Another one to hit @PopsiclePete with. We need to bring him back into the active community.

Hello everyone, I came lured by the teaser trailer in YouTube. I'm a programmer from Uruguay (though in Spain atm), my experience is mostly boring enterprise software stuff, and have limited game dev experience, but I'm sure I can lend a hand with code if I could be of help. Shoot me a PM if you feel my skills would be of use.
Thanks for your efforts! I'd love to see this come to completion, seeing as Star Citizen is still a huge joke (for people like me waiting for a single player Wing Commander successor, at least), this would be a great way to experience Wing Commander all over again.

Cheers.

Any eyecandy of a Longbow cockpit yet? Will be interested to see what you guys come up with.
Hi @-danr-,

Defiance did a news post on the website about the Longbow cockpit back in July :^)

It's not yet textured in those preview shots, but it gives you a good look at the canopy struts & the dome as well as the consoles and flight column.

Hi @-danr-,

Defiance did a news post on the website about the Longbow cockpit back in July :^)

It's not yet textured in those preview shots, but it gives you a good look at the canopy struts & the dome as well as the consoles and flight column.

Oh nice, I missed that. Looks faithful, and I can't wait to see the finished project.

Now, I'm going to be a complete douchebag and probably incite the combined wrath of @Pedro and @DefianceIndustries at the same time, but was there ever a time when you considered using the WC3 Hellcat cockpit instead of the cutscene WC4 one?

The only reason I would even suggest this, is because from my armchair soap box, I always thought that the WC3 'pit looked a touch more realistic; all kinds of switches, dials - the sleek fighter jet curve of the dashboard. I remember thinking that the one in the WC4 cutscene looked a bit...movie proppy, they'd obviously spent a little time making a real one for the scene but it just struck me looking a little more artificial than its predecessor.

I think at the time, I used to headcanon that the cockpit is different because the Hellcat V went through all kinds of revisions and variants.

Regardless, you've made it look great, better in fact, so I'm glad you've evolved it into what it is now. It's beautiful.

Now, I'm going to be a complete douchebag and probably incite the combined wrath of @Pedro and @DefianceIndustries at the same time, but was there ever a time when you considered using the WC3 Hellcat cockpit instead of the cutscene WC4 one?

No, never. Our guiding principle with this project is to make the FMV and gameplay mesh as much as possible. When you move from an FMV sequence our dream would for that to be seamless. Same nebulas, models indistinguishable from the FMV ones.
And we aren't trying to create a new consistent style for the games either, every title in the series had it's own unique look and we are respecting that.
I mean personally I prefer the WCIV FMV cockpit, the WC3 one looks a bit old school, but we aren't letting personal preferences guide us much.
If we did a WC3 remake then we would look to the WC3 sources.
Sometimes it's tempting to look to other sources, for instance I love the CCG Thunderbolt, especially the intakes, but that's not what we're doing here.

When picking visuals our priority goes something like this:
WC4 FMV <-- Highest priority
Hi Quality Renders
WC3 FMV
CCG artwork
WC4 Gameplay
WC3 Gameplay
Artistic license <-- Lowest

Gameplay is pretty low as we're replacing that entirely

Last edited:
@-danr- All that said: if we get around to adding WC3 support, I will have to do a WC3 Hellcat cockpit to go along with it. The reason the Longbow 'pit looks more like the WC3 version (with artistic license to update screens, etc.) is that there isn't any FMV in WC4 that shows us the cockpit for the Longbow. As a guiding principle, more modern fighters like the Bearcat, & Dragon, will have more info on the HUD which will make them easier to fly, the older fighters like the Longbow will hew more toward WC3, which moves critical info off the HUD in favor of a simple reticule and onto secondary displays, thus giving each fighter a different look and feel to fly. Most people who play through WC4 tend to think the Bearcat isn't worth the effort in most cases, but the goal of the cockpits would be to make it a fun ship to fly and something someone might want to go the extra mile for (also just to annoy Panther and get that cool Empire ending) :)

The UBW fighter cockpits are all being spun entirely out of whole cloth, but hopefully they will still be pleasing to the player. They're gonna look alot more slap-dash with exposed wiring and instrumentation bolted all higgledy-piggledy wherever it seems to fit. Looking for kind of a late 50's early 60's gen 1 Soviet bloc look for the cockpits, to help distinguish them from the more westernized Confed 'pits.

Last edited:
Haven't read all the posts here, but on the news post about the cockpits, that sounds good. I think the problem with WC3's cockpits is that they took up so much of the screen space - and remember that the most they had to work with was 640x480 in that era. Monitors today are usually many more times that resolution so there should be plenty of room to add some of the cockpit immersion that we enjoyed with WC1-3 while still leaving plenty of space to see outside the fighter. Prophecy's cockpits were a reasonable compromise at the time, I think, in trying to give each fighter a unique appearance without obscuring too much of the screen, but what's been presented here looks good too.

That’s neat, can you point me that upscaling technique?

I assume it’s offline rather than online.

Same as always, download and config esrgan, then IEU(which makes everything easier since its a good frontend for it), and use one of the models there
Lollypop is at the photorealism tab since its a general upscaler

i've been using that for quake 2 monster and weapon textures along with the fatality model

Attachments

• q2_0005.jpg
    q2_0005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
  • q2_0035.jpg
    q2_0035.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Ahh thanks, ODVS was hoping to try out the latest version on the WC3 room files but is having some issues with it.

Minor update from the art department - The UBW Hermes is now meshed and art department approved. There will be two versions, one that is rigged with landing gear and doors for FMV work, and an in-game model without the extra rigging and triangles. Additionally, the turrets will be rigged so they won't be as toothless as before. :)

Attachments

• HermesWIP3.png
    HermesWIP3.png
    362.8 KB · Views: 78
  • HermesWIP4.png
    HermesWIP4.png
    465.9 KB · Views: 84
  • HermesWIP5.png
    HermesWIP5.png
    406.4 KB · Views: 73
Hello everybody!
This project have me hyped!
I own the original 6CD MS-DOS version, which included Spanish subtitles and GUI, which GoG and Origin releases are lacking.
I was working long time ago with the OP of this thread: https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/russian-translation-of-wc4.27188/page-2#post-410884 trying to extract the spanish files of the disks, but the OP vanished.
If you are considering new language additions, I'd like to help.
Cheers!

Back