The "the price of freedom" Movie Project

I found a video very similar to this project, It had the wing commander 4 dvd version turned into a movie. Although I am much looking forward to seeing your version, this version I found had a couple important flaws. Absolutely no gameplay in the film, this of course left gaps in the story and someone who hasn't played the game from start to finish is likely to be confused watching it. Also the film was 3 hours long! It had all the mission briefings but no space flight at all. One scene it has the mission briefing of a convoy in trouble and then it cuts to a scene with Melek.

After seeing your sample of gameflight, I can see its going to action packed with no story left out :). After finding the other version, I chose wing commander III in hope that it hadn't been done before. I didn't see this thread until after I finished the project (before that I had just been reading wing commander general chat). I read through it before posting and figured this was the right place to post.

Anyway I wont ramble any longer, I can't wait till your WC4 movie is finished :)

Queeg said:
I found a video very similar to this project, It had the wing commander 4 dvd version turned into a movie. Although I am much looking forward to seeing your version, this version I found had a couple important flaws. Absolutely no gameplay in the film, this of course left gaps in the story and someone who hasn't played the game from start to finish is likely to be confused watching it. Also the film was 3 hours long! It had all the mission briefings but no space flight at all. One scene it has the mission briefing of a convoy in trouble and then it cuts to a scene with Melek.

After seeing your sample of gameflight, I can see its going to action packed with no story left out :). After finding the other version, I chose wing commander III in hope that it hadn't been done before. I didn't see this thread until after I finished the project (before that I had just been reading wing commander general chat). I read through it before posting and figured this was the right place to post.

Anyway I wont ramble any longer, I can't wait till your WC4 movie is finished :)

Yeah that's a pretty cheap version. WIth the DVD or Rips from the CD version, You could easily do exactly the same thing with just a playlist file.... As long as you specify the folder to put them in you could just post the playlist and anybody could watch the same film.

However, I'm sure you noticed that as far a a movie is concerned, playing *all* the movies, certain things become repetitive (briefings) and others are unnecessary.

I'm currious though. YOu said you had never played the game before? What was your overall impression of that version? Seeing it for the first time, (obviously there were holes) on a dramatic level, what fell flat for you, or felt unnecessary?

AD said:
Oh, there will be gameplay stuff. It's more of a necessity with WC4 than 3 in my opinion as there is more story stuff that takes place inflight. My comment was rather about the method that was described for getting the footage for which I had already worked out a solution to ages ago. I Don't know if Queeg read this thread before starting his project or not, but his process actually seems very similar to the one I've been using for a year now. (I should have had this out earlier but it's my own fault really).

When your done with it can I see it?
I mean can I watch it?

AD said:
I'm currious though. YOu said you had never played the game before? What was your overall impression of that version? Seeing it for the first time, (obviously there were holes) on a dramatic level, what fell flat for you, or felt unnecessary?

Huh? When did I say that? I have played the game several times from start to finish. I felt that a lot of mission briefings and conversations could have been cut out, infact at one point it showed Both decisions of seether boarding being played out, while it still made sense it did use up a lot of time.

Queeg said:
Huh? When did I say that? I have played the game several times from start to finish. I felt that a lot of mission briefings and conversations could have been cut out, infact at one point it showed Both decisions of seether boarding being played out, while it still made sense it did use up a lot of time.

Ehh... I must have been thinking of Raptor_Pilot

It's not me, I haven't seen any project movies yet. I think you got confused when queeg said that someone who hasn't played the game would get confused by the movie because of holes in it.

And I quote:
I found a video very similar to this project, It had the wing commander 4 dvd version turned into a movie. Although I am much looking forward to seeing your version, this version I found had a couple important flaws. (--->) Absolutely no gameplay in the film, this of course left gaps in the story and someone who hasn't played the game from start to finish is likely to be confused watching it.(<-- Right There!!!) Also the film was 3 hours long! It had all the mission briefings but no space flight at all. One scene it has the mission briefing of a convoy in trouble and then it cuts to a scene with Melek.

I think that's what you were refering to??

OHHHH. I just re-read the posts!!!

Were you refering to the WCIII Sample video in your post?

quote:

Because that's the only movie thing I've seen yet. It was only a couple minutes long, I can't form any opinions on only a few minutes of movie.

(I could be just getting really confused)

Raptor_Pilot said:
OHHHH. I just re-read the posts!!!

Were you refering to the WCIII Sample video in your post?

Because that's the only movie thing I've seen yet. It was only a couple minutes long, I can't form any opinions on only a few minutes of movie.

(I could be just getting really confused)

I was asking queeg about the WC4 stuff he watched and had him confused with you about only having played wc1. Nothing to be concerned with yet Raptor_pilot.

Raptor_Pilot said:
How are things progressing on your project, haven't heard anything for a while...

Getting there... Just trying to find the time to do it can be a challenge when I get distracted by other things. Ill let you know more as it happens,

Well, just know that there's one more guy out there waiting for this project to be complete. Played the game on PSX only, and REALLY want to see it again, but the video is SO BAD...

Also, are you going to make some Special Features? You should, just include any scenes you don't include in the movie as Deleted Scenes...

Beckmen said:
Well, just know that there's one more guy out there waiting for this project to be complete. Played the game on PSX only, and REALLY want to see it again, but the video is SO BAD...

Also, are you going to make some Special Features? You should, just include any scenes you don't include in the movie as Deleted Scenes...

First, I'd like to apologize for any delays. And second, I really like that idea. Should I, after making the Actual downloadable cut, get to the DVD, I'd definitely think about it. I was actualy experimenting with DVD burning last weekend and with making menus and stuff so I think this is a very doable option. I'd like to add though that I don't think I'd include *every* variation because of disk space and such. Besides... That is ALOT of menus

If there's a way to send me the footage I might be able to work on the extras disc for you. I have some editing software (Pinnacle) and a decent computer.

Beckmen said:
If there's a way to send me the footage I might be able to work on the extras disc for you. I have some editing software (Pinnacle) and a decent computer.

The best way to get the videos is to track down the DVD edition of WC4. It's a pretty hefty amount of disk space for me to have to send stuff to idividual people.

Some time ago, I edited the WC4 DVD footage together for easy viewing on my television (no transitional cuts or in-game footage). On that DVD I included as an easteregg a remastered version of a funny take on WC4 (which was originally on a CD of a German PC game magazine with bad video quality). AD, if you do make a DVD version, I can send you the MPEG2 version of this short clip (if you want it). A divx version can be downloaded from my site.

included as an easteregg a remastered version of a funny take on WC4 (which was originally on a CD of a German PC game magazine with bad video quality).

You should know...I was actually laughin (quite) hystericallly when watching that clip.

This justs makes me more hungry for trying to find the DVD WC4 edition.

TomGaines said:
Some time ago, I edited the WC4 DVD footage together for easy viewing on my television (no transitional cuts or in-game footage). On that DVD I included as an easteregg a remastered version of a funny take on WC4 (which was originally on a CD of a German PC game magazine with bad video quality). AD, if you do make a DVD version, I can send you the MPEG2 version of this short clip (if you want it). A divx version can be downloaded from my site.

Thanks, I'd like that. I think I do have the divx versions but the Higher Quality the better...

Back