Read This!!!

Originally posted by Supdon3
There have been times when i havent even penetrated the shield of a Devil Ray with a missile when it hit full on.

A salvo of dragonflies/mosquitoes works pretty good on the buggers, though.

Best, Raptor

Devil Rays were great. It's a madhouse at the comm station after Blair's abducted and you're confronted with that ace (as well as being swarmed by other fighters) waiting for Bravo to jump in. It's intense trying to kick his ass while you're the sole target for every enemy fighter in the area AND having to pretect the station too. The real bugger is when you've been pounding his six for ages and Maniac gets a lucky shot and finishes him!

For real fun you couldn't beat a Stingray though. Used to love it when three of 'em would form up and start using that hefty plasma. Weaving in and out between it's blasts, heading straight for him, picking your shots just right so that they break apart right when you get near and you fly stright through the centre of the formation, pulling a 180 and cutting throttle just fast enough to pick off one or two of the three singles before they make a break for it. Great :)

Devil rays were the tough ones. Those fighters are fast and furious. Plus they usually just jumped in and started firing at you with no warning. I'd be locked on the tale of a Manta, getting ready to blast it, when all of a sudden the cockpit would flare and shake with a plasma blast from a Devil Ray. Those suckers could do a lot of damage in a short period of time. Thank God that the Wing Commander series came up with the TARGET NEAREST ENEMY feature, otherwise I'd probably be debris out there by now. But the greater the challenge, the greater the RUSH when you turn it into an exploding fireball!!!

I hate Devil Rays! One time I played the Comm Station mission at average-difficulty-level and I was not able to kill the 'nice' enemy. I was alone, all shot at me, I shot back but then it came, hunted me and some time later it killed me almost in front of the canons of the Midway. It wasn't very funny at all! There I asked myself whom thinks about such things in the computer games! But the idea to put 3 Stingrays together, to crate a new hard weapon, I think it's good! It makes you frightened when you fly and have such one behind you...it destroys your shields and if you don't kill it fast enough it kills you with 3 or 4 shots if you don't react.

Do you remember the first time you saw three of them coming together? Oh, that was an interesting moment. At first I was excited to see something new, then I got scared when it started shooting at me!

Completely right...*LOL*. I had the same feelings. But you even can kill them very easily. Alone they're nothing.;)

Those things can be a nightmare in packs!! They shoot them fast firing Plasma weapons that 2 or 3 hits will take you into ejection pod land! But they do blow up nicely!! :D

RFB

True, but I can live without the adrenaline. :) My usual tactic is to try and vape the induvidual Stingrays with missiles before they can form up. Without decoys, they're easy meat.

Best, Raptor

Taking off?? But yeah it really feels like adrenaline when you see them form up and coming towards you....but then I say to myself stay calm be cool and fire with all your guns in their middle. 3 times and they give up their formation leaving one dying and you can turn and kill the second sometimes even the third. For this you really don't need any missile. :)

I actually prefer it if the clustered Stingrays targetted me - it's more of a nightmare if they target my wingmen or even my carrier.

bumpercars in WC4, now that's fun, remember if you run straight into another ship you die, so you need to pull up just the right ammount you might still get a bit damaged if your in a light fighter though. I seem to remember the left wing of the hellcat usually seems to get damaged doing that.

The Devil Ray was the only enemy fighter which could rival a Confed fighter, but their tactic was just so boring. Some clustered Stingrays were always far more frightening to me. Alone they were as ridiculous as the Lampreys or Skates or Rays or Morays.

P.S.:
I know I am picky but WTF are you talking about the Devil Ray's fearsome Plasma weapon? The only plasma weapons the Devil Ray mounts are those lilac balls in WCP and they do not pose a threat at all. I think you mean those green snot things the Manta also mounts. But I think they are called "Gorgon", at least that's what my WCP guide calls them.

Manta mounts a pair of Gorgons and a light plasma... the Devil Ray mounts a trio of Gorgons and a pair of light plasmas.

Back