Read This!!!

No, this was real, we reported about it several days ago...

That said, IMO, Origin isn't dead -- yes, they're just developing UO right now... but they're not *gone*, and their offices haven't closed or anything. This 'wake' is, IMO, more of a PR stunt on the part of Richard Garriott... who is, coincidentially, about to announce his new development plans. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
No, this was real, we reported about it several days ago...

That said, IMO, Origin isn't dead -- yes, they're just developing UO right now... but they're not *gone*, and their offices haven't closed or anything. This 'wake' is, IMO, more of a PR stunt on the part of Richard Garriott... who is, coincidentially, about to announce his new development plans. :)
Even though that might be true, Origin's situation got worse and worse during the last years, and without Garriot, Chris Roberts and so on, I really doubt whether there will be sufficient creative "heads" left in order to continue development of revolutionary games.

Sounds to me like they are just going round and round. But with those recent cutbacks and all, maybe, just maybe they might get their six in gear and do something. But I think all this is just like a broken record. Skipping on the same old issue over and over. Please someone up there at EA get off their duff and move that needle to the next song!

RFB

I was encouraged by Richard Garriott's quote in a related story where he was talking about creting a new company and he now has a whole bunch of old Origin people he can bring on. I'm not hopeful for a WC game from that venture, I doubt EA is ready to sell the rights, but it may be we as consumers will get some new well thought out, inventive cutting-edge games.

Agreed. If they pull in all those people previously from Origin, they may put some feel of WC in their new game since EA wont let go of the rights. Guess we will all have to wait and see what happens.

RFB

This is pretty much an entirely Ultima thing... the UWO:O people got layed off, and they're the ones getting picked up by RG.

The WC people were laid off long, long ago.

Too long ago.

I wish one of them would make like RG and try to compete or something.

Maybe that will be what is required to create that inovative new WC type game. They worked on UO, they have the knowledge for MP, might be some good in all that. I for one hope they do produce something to take up where EA is leaving off. If EA decides to continue the WC universe, perhaps they will get the hint about how good the game really is when a group previously working there, makes one of their own and does excellent.

RFB

Chris Roberts *did* try to compete. But he ended up selling DA to Microsoft...

Richard Garriott is already trying to find a major corporation to fund his new company.

LOAF, with all due respect StarLancer was not very good, it was just a shoot up sim without a good story behind it (Sorry but the evil comunists against the good western nations is real old).
Parts were good but overall its was not.

StarLancer story was bad, some things I dont like (the ship selection for example) but other, like the graphics were very good.
Its not WC IV but its still a O.K. game.
I dont know why it was made in that way, since it turn out that way, perhaps next time it will be better...

It doesn't matter if it was good or bad. In a sense, every game innovates, from the best of the best to the lowliest little first year C++ student's crap. You may not think they're important, but they help in some way or another. That guy that made that little game learned a bit, and he comes away from it a little better, with better skills. Or some other guy in his class sees what he made, thinks he's a dork, and tries to make something better, thereby sharpening his skills... and on and on. You think Starlancer wasn't any good, well that's fine. But it's one more step in the evolution in games.

I always thought CR had something in the works at DA to bring back the WC universe or other with whatever came out of that company (DA). I was shocked when I read that article about MS buying it out. I thought to myself, "well hell there goes any chance of WC seeing the light of day again". Although I dont have SL, I read some good reviews about it. But I would have to say that if its simple shoot and die thing w/o storyline or the like, I would still get it since CR created it. Guess I need to head over to Hastings! :D

RFB

Besides, Dragon, what's wrong with western/eastern storylines? James Bond wouldn't be too much fun if it weren't for the russians. Even after the cold war was over they kept some of them around for him to fight. Hell, the Cold War was for a bit an intricate part of the history of WC. Or was that battletech... The CICs timeline and one I saw for battletech looked very much alike so I often get them mixed up. =)

I think you all know now that I work at ComUSA. Well, today we put on the shelf, the new Ultima Online game. It's called Ultima Online Third Dawn. Don't you think that it is kind of fishy that Origin would lay of the UO people right as a new game comes out?

Well, the main reason East/West storylines are dumb is because anybody who's been awake at some point between 1989 and the present day should know that there's no such possibility any more. Contrary to what the American far right would like us to believe, communist Russia is *not* going to make a comeback :).

Back