What is with the Nephilim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He must go to the Quarto school of Spac sims. He's another mouse fan. As for Corvette's they weren't too bad if you could auto slide, just took some time. Their turrets were a bitch though. I think it's alos because you hated (or couldn't afford) to waste a torpedo on them.

The capship in the X-wing series were tough, though as mentioned elsewhere the ISD's were pretty easy once you figured out the trick of knocking out their shield generators and then (if you had ion cannons) diabling the ship. I always found the Neb's to be the tough ones to fight.

Yes, Cap ships were fairly easy to disable once they got thier shields down. You should have needed emp torpedos or something. A cannon shouldnt be able to disrupt enough. FS 2 ships were though, enspecially with their anti fighter beams, got hit by one of them and you got knocked all around and tore up bad. I always thought the phase shields were a pretty weak idea, although they were much better implimented in WC2 than prophecy. They were far to easy to eliminate. At least the WC2 ships had flak that could tear you up even if they missed you. And the plasma cannon on the heavy bomber in prophecy was the most unbalanced weapon ever. Cap ships became a joke if you used it.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

"Quarto school of space sims"... heh.
smile.gif
Seriously, once you get the hang of playing with a mouse, you'll wonder whyever you even tried a joystick. Or at least, you'll wonder until you try X-Wing. Then you'll remember the reason
frown.gif

Kilrathi corvettes are painful. I still haven't figured out a tactic that would allow me to always defeat them. But it certainly helps to take out that rear turret first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironically, the only "flight sim" I found is easier with a mouse is the MAME version of the Star Wars arcade game. The mouse is easier to use. Never been the case for anything else, imo.

Quarto, a mouse cannot keep up with the control of a good joystick, enspecially the button control. I used to have a Sidewinder 3d pro, i could control my throttle, rotate my craft and had 8 buttons at my control. A mouse cant turn as hard, but for really gentle stuff its about as effective as a joystick.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

I'm buying one of two controllers next, can't decide with. Either the Gravis Exterminator, or Interact's copy of it. There is so much you can do with either one of them. They both have mini-joysticks, (which if you've played on an N64 alot like me, is a godsend because it rocks
smile.gif
), tons of buttons, and usually costs a lot less than a joystick. Of course, I'm going to put a 'Y' cable on my gameport, so that I can keep my Logitech Wingman Extreme within reach and use
smile.gif

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Yeah, just keep deceiving yourself, Vondoom.
smile.gif
Actually, a mouse gives me more buttons - via the keyboard. And in most games, like WC1-P, you can make hard turns with the mouse just as quickly as with a joystick. And it's far superior for precision stuff...

First thing's first, I HATE using a mouse for space sims, and secondly, I'm not fortunate enough to spend all my money on little nick nacks like joysticks - I've always sworn by the keyboard, and shall continue to do so until I feel a joystick is the most important purchase to make.

Anyway, I find the Kilrathi corvettes simple enough with slides, but I didn't think it was possible to take out turrets on a corvette in Prophecy. Kinda unrealistic.

Not argueing with you quarto, but do have a few questions and comments. You use the keyboard with a joystick too, just not near as much. And how is a mouse more precise than a joystick. I'd say they are about the same. A gamepad now is imprecise as a keyboard. When you turn with either one of them, its either a full hard turn or no turn. There is no fine control like that of a joystick or a keyboard. Now, one could probably fly really well with one of the new optical mice. You can easily use your entire desk for a surface with one of those. That's on my Christmas list since I just got a Force Feedback Joystick since my MS Sidewinder 3D Pro died.

------------------

It hasn`t been here as long as you might think - July 11. It`s just been extremely active.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited August 26, 2000).]

<Cornholio>All shall bow down to the almighty Drift!</Cornholio>

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Vondoom said:
You use the keyboard with a joystick too, just not near as much. And how is a mouse more precise than a joystick. I'd say they are about the same. A gamepad now is imprecise as a keyboard. When you turn with either one of them, its either a full hard turn or no turn. There is no fine control like that of a joystick or a keyboard.

I do want to argue something, I can use my keyboard and joystick at the same time, have been for 3 years now. Right hand on the stick, left centered on the Tab button, or in that general vicinity. Also, you evidently haven't saw a Gravis Exterminator, nor played with one, let along an N64 controller. It has a mini-joystick, hense, it operates in the same fasion. Try it, especially in Half-Life or any FPS. And with as many buttons as it has, you don't need to touch the keyboard. Anyway, the mini-stick offers basically the same control, it's not just one way or hte other.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

I think the fact that all real aircraft and space shuttles use control sticks or yokes sort of indicates which is better for flying out of a computer joystick and mouse.

Just because they use joysticks doesn't mean joysticks are better. Note that only two fighters had a M/AM plant, even though it was markedly superior to the other types of engines
tongue.gif

If a mouse was better for flight control they'd fit them in the cockpit. Which they haven't. Powerplants are much more costly. Therefore even though the matter anti-matter engines are superior to anything else out there they can't fit them to every fighter around.

Knight, yes the new game controllers by companies like Nintendo and such finally realized that the gamepad is a horrible control for anything other than simple games so no add in a tiny little thumb sized analog control. But for FPS, a mouse and keyboard is far far superior than any type of joystick. Its just easier to look around with the mouse and move with the keyboard. You could do the same with a joystick but it would be awkward because of its size. And a N64 pad or Dreamcast pad do not have enough buttons to play a complex FPS like SS2 or Deus Ex easily. Until something like the keyboard comes into existance for consoles, they will always be limited. A computer game can easily have up to 102 buttons for controls and no console can match that yet.

------------------

Wedge009 said:
Sorry, two fighters with M/AM? I only know of the Dragon, what's the other?

Excalibur. See the WC4 novelization and script, where Blair talks about the Lance's heritage.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Yeah, I found that out after reading the other threads. Can't get the novel, but I don't recall reading anything about Blair talking about the Lance's origins in the script. That is the one in the Files section, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back