What is with the Nephilim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vondoom said:
But for FPS, a mouse and keyboard is far far superior than any type of joystick. Its just easier to look around with the mouse and move with the keyboard. You could do the same with a joystick but it would be awkward because of its size.

Yeah, a full size joystick is awkward for FPSs, and I used a mouse for a long time with all games, until I played with that Exterminator. The damn thing has almost as many button options as a keyboard (there's a shift key, so there's really twice the buttons that you see), and each key can do a single action or be programmed to do a complex series of actions in sequence, such as a long jump in Half-Life, just set the code in the software, and when you push that button, you long jump (assuming you have the proper equipment
smile.gif
). Also, with the analog stick, it's basically just like having a mouse, you use it to look around, and set buttons to move, just as you'd do with a keyboard. If you've never played Goldeneye, then you can't understand the ease of this. While it was slightly different in that game (you had to hold a key to look around, but no big deal), it made looking around while aiming a snap, and more precise than I could ever be with a mouse/keyboard combo. Just try a pad with an analog stick for a good FPS that lets you program buttons, and, while it may not turn you to them forever, it will change your opinion of this arguement.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
In all the WC videogames made, I have beaten them all using standard controllers with outstanding scoring. The only time I wished for a keyboard was when I'd have to do the password typing -- searching & clicking letters is slow.

how is it easier with looking around and aiming. Goldeneye blows because you cannot easily move and aim at the same time. I can easily sidestep and jump and run while easily running. Every Quake or Unreal player knows this. They have gotten much better with the combo controls like you mentioned. But check out what the top Quake3 and UT players use. I bet most of them are mouse/keyboard only.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

If I didn't say it was easier with a computer FPS, it was a typo. Think of the analong joystick on the controller as your mouse, and the entire rest of the buttons, widgets, and gizmos on that thing as your keyboard. Not only is it just as precise, it's also a hellva lot more comfortable for extended periods of time
tongue.gif
That and having my hand dancing around a keyboard for that one special command just doesn't suit me. I want them all within fingertip reach. Liek I also said, you can program each button to do multiple things in succession, like perform a long jump, etc.

------------------

Heh, heh. I wana have the final word in the longest thread so far. Unless someone can think of something interesting to keep this going...

Fine, fine, you win...

As I mentioned somewhere else, if we wanna find out about the Nephilim, we should do what they tried to do to us - namely send in a scout force, then follow up with fleet if necessary. Maybe a cloaked fighter (I know there's anti-cloaking technology, but Major Washington did something similar as described in ICIS manual), "lob a few nukes" if needs be, and find out all sorts of interesting stuff.

Of course, this would be for the next WC game designers do decide, but I'm dreaming cos there won't be any for quite a while
frown.gif

Yes, but Washington was the 7th pilot to attempt it. A 14% survival rate doesn't seem very good to me...

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

You wouldn't even get to use the cloak. Without a working wormhole of our own it's impossible to find out anything more about the Nephilem.
I also seriously doubt that Confed has the tech to build a wormhole.

It's like any beach head. Getting in can be very bloody, and tring to hold it could be bloody as well. Confed does seem to have the upper hand in the fighter department, however, I don't know if they have the numbers they would need. Reading the SO fiction it does seem as though the bugs are scouting more wormholes. If they can open enough, Confed may not be able to hold them off, particularly if they are spread out.

No one said that going through the wormhole would be easy. But you can always send some nukes like Maestron sugested, set up a few mine fields and turrets around the wormhole so that only small capships could get through, and send a small, and stealth, scoutship to check out what's out there.

Lob a few ukes? That would be like ringing the biggest fucking doorbel imaginable
smile.gif

It's safe to say the Neph's will probably have the same kinds of defences on their side. It would be unbenificiary (sp?) for either side to send anything other than probes through it. Or a doomsday device guaranteed to wipe the entire area of space around it clean, so the invading fleet has a few hours till the enemy's reinforcements can arrive.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Fear of the unknown, isn't it? It'd be worth the risk to at least try, wouldn't it? Although, on second thought, Confed will probably be pouring resources into repairing colonies and the like, before thinking about setting up a task force to check out Nephilim side of things. No, defence and maintaining control on our side of the wormholes seems like top priority for the moment.

No Regret said:
Lob a few ukes? That would be like ringing the biggest fucking doorbel imaginable
smile.gif
Offense is often the best defense. The Nephilim don't need something to provoke them, they'll be back, and in larger numbers then before. All Confed can do now is prepere and offensive that would set the bugs back by a few years and give themselves a little breather.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who dies for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Surrender your Beer, or we'll take it by force.

Earthworm: Quite true. However without the tech to open it's own wormholes any offensive or reconnaissance that Cofned sends through any existing wormholes is destined for defeat. Defending such gateways is infinitely easy, as the Wing Commander Movie showed when the Concordia battlegroup wiped out the Kilrathi fleet as it jumped through at the end. Being able to open our own wormholes would make any entry into the bugs spaces vastly easier.

But the Kilrathi were jumping through a standard jump point were it's unsafe to send several ships at the same time. The wormhole is a different thing, because there's no danger of the exit point moving somewhere else or whatever. The wormhole isn't a natural creation.

AH, but it is. We've done argued this to death. It's an artifical structure induced over a natural anomaly, or somethign liekt hat. I'd recall it and quoteit, but I'm ready for bed now. Laters.

------------------

Jump points & wormholes may be of a different nature but what I'm getting at is that once you've just come through you're vulberable to attack. In the movie Tolwyn's aide (name escapes me at the moment) states that the Kilrathi didn't have time to charge weapons or shields before being blown to bits after they'd come through. The same would happen to Confed if they sent any ships through a known wormhole.
Besides even if you could send several ships through simultaneously it wouldn't make much of a difference if the enemy has an entire fleet waiting for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back