Wing Commander Standoff: Episode Five Released (August 11, 2009)

holy crap it's intense! My entire right arm is twitching after four missions. Have to take a break - can't shoot straight anymore!

Ohh man! I'm excited, but you guys have some of the worst timing... I have to leave for Ohio for the week tomorrow! I just hope some of the remaining patches come during that time so that the wait was even more worth it...!
Heheheh... I'm sorry... I know our release was kinda unexpected, what with having been announced about four months ago :D.

If it makes you feel better, I got the impression the timing was bad for most of the team, as well. For most of the weekend, we didn't have even a single tester on duty :p.

Intel chipset...turn off Enhanced lighting...that should fix it. This is something Alex and I were working on the other day. Intel chipsets just suck.

Ah thanks, that worked. Yeah, these Intel chipsets are crap.

Heheheh... I'm sorry... I know our release was kinda unexpected, what with having been announced about four months ago :D.

OK, so actually it's my family with the horrible timing- you guys planned ahead, and they chose this week... well, considerably sooner :p.

Oh, well. Still can't wait to play!

Hey first of all congratulations on a great work and all :)

I'm really enjoying playing the game again with the new graphics and new cutscenes for the first chapters.

I got a suggestion for the complete pack with the 5 episodes though. If you still have the source material for the cutscenes maybe doing them in a better resolution would be a good idea. Of course is that is too much work, or if you don't consider it worhtwile, then no problem :)

Also, I still want to do that spanish translation. So if you can tell me how to extract the file/files with all the text for episode 1, I could also start working on that.

I haven't seen the new FMVs yet, but if they're a similar resolution to the ones in the first four episodes, I believe they're stored in a relatively low resolution in order to keep the file download size down.

Great game guys!
But in regards to the graphical issues, I've the latest directX, and latest graphics drivers (catalyst 9.7) and still get the no ships issues unless I turn off enhanced lighting.
Also noticed in the ship viewer however with those options off, green and blue lighting doesnt do a damn thing, and red only changed the overall brightness.
Could the hack used to improve the graphics be affecting the way the engine renders RGB lighting?
Also a minor thing, but sometimes in larger battles Kitty VDU's come up with Confed images?

Running on an intel dual core cpu and Radeon HD4670 card, hope this helps :)

:D:D:D:D

Thats was totally awesome....flee kind of sad though with it ended (granted their are several other paths I need to explore, but sad nonetheless.

Well, good luck getting the bugs worked....I'll probably wait for the additional fixes before trying the other paths.

I got a suggestion for the complete pack with the 5 episodes though. If you still have the source material for the cutscenes maybe doing them in a better resolution would be a good idea. Of course is that is too much work, or if you don't consider it worhtwile, then no problem :)
Unfortunately, we don't have the source material. It's hard for Eder to keep a backup of all this stuff over the years, uncompressed video takes a lot of space. Next time, we're gonna have to get him a second hard drive or something :p.

YEAH! Now I just have to get it working (read my post in the "Drivers" thread) and I am going to enjoy pure WC fun.
And just wait until we release WC Saga (probably early next year?). That will rock the house too.

Next time? :)

Standoff 2: Revenge of the Terrans!

They attacked Earth, now... it's our turn! (to attack Kilrah, not Earth...)

heh

Anyway getting serious :)

I'm sorry to hear you don't have the source material :(
But well, the cutscenes don't look that bad, just a bit pixelated in high resolutions. Also maybe it's me but scenes in later chapters look better anyway.

Also, about the translation? I know you probably are really busy searching and fixing the remaining bugs, but when you guys have the chance I really want to make this game avaliable for spanish people :)

Next time? :)
It's a disease. You can't cure it, man. I am tired, I really am - I also know that in a few weeks, I'll be missing it. And, there's all those ideas...

But, let's be clear about one thing - there will absolutely never, ever be a Standoff sequel. Bradshaw's story ends at the Battle of Terra - I'm sure he did many exciting things in the remaining months of the war, maybe he even survived to do less exciting things after the war... but we don't need to know about them. There are other stories to tell out there.

But well, the cutscenes don't look that bad, just a bit pixelated in high resolutions. Also maybe it's me but scenes in later chapters look better anyway.
That's correct - the earliest scenes were pretty badly compressed, compared to later ones. I'm not sure why - maybe back then we were more concerned about space? Or maybe Eder had better compression tools later on?

And of course, the Episode 5 intro is twice the usual resolution - it deserved it :).

Also, about the translation? I know you probably are really busy searching and fixing the remaining bugs, but when you guys have the chance I really want to make this game avaliable for spanish people :)
Well, once we're done with the great bug-fixing effort and we release the full Episodes 1-5 package, we'll certainly see what we can do to make the job easier for you... but make no mistake, it will be your job :). You'll get the tools, the files that need to be localised, and some basic info, but the actual job will be yours.

Well, once we're done with the great bug-fixing effort and we release the full Episodes 1-5 package, we'll certainly see what we can do to make the job easier for you... but make no mistake, it will be your job :). You'll get the tools, the files that need to be localised, and some basic info, but the actual job will be yours.

~~~, don't worry I wasn't planning on making you guys work more ~~~ :)
Well I keep waiting for that package to be released :)

One time period I think would make a good mod would be to have it set during those 10 years Blair was on that station (obviously I don't mean the focus to be on Blair but on some of the other pilots, it could even focus on Maniac :p). It would be interesting to see more of the war post-claw or even pre-claw. The war is so long there are countless stories to be told.

It's a disease. You can't cure it, man. I am tired, I really am - I also know that in a few weeks, I'll be missing it. And, there's all those ideas...

But, let's be clear about one thing - there will absolutely never, ever be a Standoff sequel. Bradshaw's story ends at the Battle of Terra - I'm sure he did many exciting things in the remaining months of the war, maybe he even survived to do less exciting things after the war... but we don't need to know about them. There are other stories to tell out there.

That's correct - the earliest scenes were pretty badly compressed, compared to later ones. I'm not sure why - maybe back then we were more concerned about space? Or maybe Eder had better compression tools later on?

And of course, the Episode 5 intro is twice the usual resolution - it deserved it :).

Mod sequels are usually unused ideas for the first game, but recycled. So yeah, keeping it without a 2 would be the right choice.

Back