Wing Commander Sprite Enhancement, Experimentation, and Information

Here goes.
Bengal_dithered9.gif
hornet_dithered.gif

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12X-K5cMV60F8Fq0fQ36Nz-JpUes-7j4w
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KOIMWuZyVUaZpknYmQ9GUFlqUhoGJnh5

OK, I've converted both the Exeter and Tolmacs for Kilrathi Saga. Here are screenshots of the Exeter:

exeter-1.png exeter-2.png exeter-3.png exeter-4.png exeter-5.png

And here are screenshots of the Tolmacs (I replaced the Tiger's Claw which is why it shows the Tiger's Claw on the VDU) :

tolmacs-1.png tolmacs-2.png tolmacs-3.png tolmacs-4.png tolmacs-5.png

And I've attached the files for people to use for Kilrathi Saga:

Updated_Exeter_for_Kilrathi_Saga_V1.zip - This has a replacement for file SHIP.V07 which is the Exeter in game. However, you can instead rename this file to SHIP.V08 and replace the Tiger's Claw instead so you can look at it right away rather than waiting for a mission with the Exeter in it.

Tolmacs_Replacement_for_Tiger's_Claw_in_Kilrathi_Saga_V1.zip - This is not a ship that appears in Wing Commander but is an awesome concept that @NinjaLA created back in 2007 (see https://www.wcnews.com/news/2007/03/19/our-own-tooner) and then @Howard Day created an awesome 3D model of. Since there is no ship counterpart in the game, I opted to replace the Tiger's Claw with the Tolmacs. The file name is already SHIP.V08 to replace the Claw. A side effect is that when you target the Tolmacs, it will still say Tiger's Claw in the VDU).

Attachments

• Updated_Exeter_for_Kilrathi_Saga_V1.zip
    328.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Tolmacs_Replacement_for_Tiger's_Claw_in_Kilrathi_Saga_V1.zip
    344.8 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I just wanted to post these images here:

v1.png
v2.png
v3.png

Well this looks like it's going to work; higher resolution images and the full 62 image set. Additional work needs to be done on the WCToolbox to enable this, but I will probably do a quick release with just this new functionality.

That looks great! @UnnamedCharacter What about the size and collision point? Can we make it look bigger in the game and if so can the collision point be adjusted accordingly?
Thanks for everyone's hard work. This looks great. :D

You can adjust the size of a ship by editing its radius and scaling.

Code:
<ShipItem ...
          Armor="240 200 250 250"
          Mass="10000"
          MaximumScale="4096"
          Radius="700"
          Shields="300 300"
          ShipClass="13">

For these experiments, I do not change the radius of the ship since I want it to be the same size, but I do adjust the maximum scaling to compensate for the larger images. If your images are at 200% the original size, then the maximum scale has to be at 50% the original value.

Normally, it's a 3d mesh surrounding the game world, used to display the sky textures. In this case, of course, there isn't any such thing, but the principle is pretty similar for the background. I assume ShadowArm is referring to the various planet and star sprites
yes, pretty much this

Hi all! I've been traveling so I've not had much chance to do much recently and will be unavailable until next week. I did quickly convert the Hornet but consider it a prototype as the scale is off and the thrusters aren't in the right place. But anyway, here are a few screenshots:

hornet1.png hornet2.png hornet3.png

The file "Updated_Hornet_for_Kilrathi_Saga_V1.zip" has the new SHIPTYPE.V00 file to place in the wc1/gamedat directory. Again, since the scale is off, don't consider this a proper mod but rather something for people to have fun with.

Attachments

• Updated_Hornet_for_Kilrathi_Saga_V1.zip
    183.4 KB · Views: 221
Hi all! I've been traveling so I've not had much chance to do much recently and will be unavailable until next week. I did quickly convert the Hornet but consider it a prototype as the scale is off and the thrusters aren't in the right place. But anyway, here are a few screenshots:

View attachment 10193 View attachment 10194 View attachment 10195

The file "Updated_Hornet_for_Kilrathi_Saga_V1.zip" has the new SHIPTYPE.V00 file to place in the wc1/gamedat directory. Again, since the scale is off, don't consider this a proper mod but rather something for people to have fun with.

holy cow :O

Freakin' gorgeous!

Stupid question, will this work on any installation of WC1? From the GoG version specifically?

Back