Wing Commander Movie

I remember being entirely shocked the first time I clearly saw the face of a kilrathi. "I thought you weren't supposed to see them!"

Sycorax said:
Rapiers are irrelevent, I didn't like the look of either. I was looking forward to seeing a Scimitar personally :).

I think Scimitar variants are mentioned in passing in the Wing Commander Confed Handbook but theres no picture shown.

Scimitars remind me of some of the military birds we have now . . . such as the A-10. Slow, somewhat vulnerable, ugly. The A-10, however, was built around that GAU-8 gun . . .

I was watching a documentary I have on VHS last night. "Wings Over the Gulf". . . one of the planes it details is the A-10, and they interviewed an A-10 pilot. He began telling a story about stumbling across a rather pissed-off Iraqi attack helicopter, and he couldn't lock onto him because of the heat of the background. So, he flies past him, pulls a neat immelman, and "I put about three hundred rounds through him . . . there wasn't much left after that."

Bandit LOAF said:
Actually, I feel even opposite-er... I think a *completely* faceless enemy would have been neat. You *never* hear from the Kilrathi in Wing 1 -- you just see the occasionally green and black cat face on your VDU. If the movie *never* cut to the Kilrathi plotting, it'd have been kind of neat.

It could have been cool too if the movie kilrathi would have never been really shown(though I somehow liked their appearence. The scene were they chase Blair and in the end get sucked nto the Charybdis anomaly made them seem a bit stupid because they never had an idea that they were flying right into this thing. I kinda liked the suits of the Kilrathi, but if they had helmets that you actually can't see their faces them in the boarding scene would have been cool maybe.

The kilrathi did not have the nav information that the terrans did. Therefore, the kilrathi did not have any idea about the anomoly, so they had no idea that they were flying into it. It is not that they are stupid, it's that they did not have enough information.

I always liked their uniforms in the movies. They were cool. But I don't see a point to them having to wear helmets on their own ship. If they did that it would just be another thing that people would nitpick about. I don't remember if they're shown when they go board the confed place to get the nav computer. If they were, did they have helmets then?

Balrog said:
The kilrathi did not have the nav information that the terrans did. Therefore, the kilrathi did not have any idea about the anomoly, so they had no idea that they were flying into it. It is not that they are stupid, it's that they did not have enough information.

Actually, looking back on it, I do have kinda a problem with the whole quasar thing. The beacon was probably broadcasting a warning message to keep away and a reason why, and I'm sure the Kilrahi ships have some type of translator on board, whether computer or cat. And even if they were too busy to notice the warning, I would think that they would notice themselves flying into a large gravity well. If a Rapier AI was smart enough to detect and make readings on the gravity, I would think a Snakier would be able to.

Eh, if *Maniac* can't figure out that the thing is broadcasting a *warning*, then it's doubtful that the Kilrathi could (G)

(It wasn't a quasar, though -- that was Charybdis. Scylla is just a... weird... thing.)

Hmm . . . Kilrathi VD . . . ooh, I wonder if Blair picked anything up from his night with his Kilrathi concubine in TPOF.

Yes. That's why his pecker fell off and he had no interest in females in Prophecy.

(Sigh.) He was such a player in WC 3.

I dunno . . . he and Patricia had a a certain hint of 'lovers' to their debates. I think he was hittin' it. He'd stopped messing with Rachael because she stopped giving it up when the sugar stopped coming during his farm days. She probably tried to get back with him once he was earning a Commodore's commission, but he told her to hit the curb for ditching him when he needed her lovin' the most.

I bought it roughly three years ago on VHS; i enjoyed it first viewing... it was an enjoyable film... just a poor one. It was not unwatchable unlike some other films, but i have to agree that the more times i have seen it, the more I pick holes in the film.

One thing i'd like to see is a couple more fan films popping up. Cam's "Raiders" does look pretty decent so far.

Poulton said:
I could not bring myself to watch it more than once

Do it as I do bro'. Skip the acting/talking scenes and jump directly to the space battles. That way it is bearable (somewhat)...

Is it me or are cadets popping up and bashing the movie becoming more frequent recently?

Back