Whee! Party time!

Pointless continued babbling about notations and such...

Just to keep talking about what the previous line of conversation was, I thought I'd clear up a little bit of what all was said for my own good thoughts and for everyone else's benefit if they care. Each measure in music is actually divided up into 96 "ticks"... what Rampage refers to as "notes." Each actual note, dependent upon its length, spans a certain amount of ticks. If a song is in 3/4 signature, the 96 ticks are divided into 32 ticks which comprise a "beat" in that measure. The same holds true for 4/4 measure, dividing beats into 24 ticks, and 6/8 measure dividing each beat into 16 ticks. These are the most common time signatures. Hypothetically, if you were to attempt to circumscribe Kilrathi notes based on the system you described to me into what programs we have to create music, you could do this simply, but it would require you to keep track of where you are in the ticks, seeing as how your 27 ticks in 3 beats would comprise only 81 total ticks per measure. It would be hell on earth to get that into MIDI format but with a little patience I'm sure you could master it. Still don't get how you divined such a system for a race that subscribes to a base 8 number system, but hey, it's your world squirrel.

En Addendum
Note Tick Length Table for 4/4 signature
Whole note - 96 ticks
Half note - 48 ticks
Half triplet - 32 ticks
Quarter note - 24 ticks
Quarter triplet - 16 ticks
Eight note - 12 ticks
Eight triplet - 8 ticks
Sixteenth note - 6 ticks
Sixteenth triplet - 4 ticks
Thirty-second note - 3 ticks
Thirty-second triplet - 2 ticks

Note Tick Length Table for 3/4 and 6/8 signatures
Whole note - 128 ticks
Half note - 64 ticks
Half triplet - Not utilized in 3/4 or 6/8 songs
Quarter note - 32 ticks
Quarter triplet - Not utilized in 3/4 or 6/8 songs
Eight note - 16 ticks
Eight triplet - Not utilized in 3/4 or 6/8 songs
Sixteenth note - 8 ticks
Sixteenth triplet - Not utilized in 3/4 or 6/8 songs
Thirty-second note - 4 ticks
Thirty-second triplet - Not utilized in 3/4 or 6/8 songs

* Note: Tick lengths for 3/4 and 6/8 are synonymous due to the increased number of beats in 6/8 time, producing the same length effect as 3/4 time and compensated for by tempo. Dotted notes were excluded for convenience's sake, figure them out yourselves for crying out loud.

And the more I understand, the more I realize what I don't know about music. I have no idea about all this techno stuff (I write music... well... in the classic manner you could say). This is something completely outside my range, and boy it is confusing at first. I'm starting to get it though.

To be even more pedantic, I still insist on calling them semibreves, minims, crochets, quavers, semi-quavers, etc. :p

After whiping clean my theory on how to divide Kilrathi notes by ticks...

I decided to say I'd prefer to call a Kilrathi note in music a "hath'zar." It's a rude combination of syllables which I think roughly outlines a note to be a "stroke of length." Anyway, just a thought. When I feel so inspired perhaps I'll retype the mangled mess of thoughts on how one might make Rampage's system work.

I never thoght that my theory about kilrathi Music were going to be consider by other ppl, BTW mi theory was just and Idea, but since, Needaham45 & Antix has help me to undestand some thin I did't consider I think the "hath'zar" can be posible wiht pasiens, BTW "hath'zar." is a cool name for music note, what is we call music "Gakhat", why don't we contact each other and develop a good theory of kilrathi music, sine we kwon little of the kilrathi culture, and I think Chirt rober will not develop more stuff of the Kilrahi culture, we might be able to fill some holes in the kilrathi history

Back