What I hate

A laser can be more powerful when the laser is high powered and intense and the plasma cannon is low grade and weak. The lasers do the same amount of equivelent damage because they improve with the armor improvements.

In game, the WC2 Broadsword armour is rated at 50. What units and what material, I can't recall, but there's no way something as chunky as the Broadsword have armour as thin as a large fighter. Try comparing the Crossbow to the Broadsword, if you don't believe that the WC2 Broadsword has and armour of 50.

Maybe the designers wrote another scale of penetration, damage and others thing because they don´t have the others (WC1 or WC2), or another reason. i agree with you mpanty !!!!

Originally posted by Supdon3
The lasers do the same amount of equivelent damage because they improve with the armor improvements.
Whoa! The engineers at Confed really do things right! Taking into account the armour improvements, they managed to keep the Laser's penetration at exactly 18cm throughout the whole war!! :rolleyes:

Different types of metal/construction would have different kinds of results against different versions of beam weapons.

You could perhaps build a hull with an alloy to better withdstand a mass driver round, but at the same time a laser would have much the same damage as it did before.

If you made the hull in a way that it could handle the extremes of a heavy plasma weapon discharge, it may still be susceptable to good ol fashioned crap pounding from a mass driver slug =)

The hulls/armour/whatever may have adapted over time to adjust to threats.. ratings fluctuated accordingly.

CHart, thanks for finally some sensible arguments, and welcome to the CIC! :)

Though you must admit, that improving the alloy, as you say, of the armors throughout the 40+ years (not including Prophecy, where the laser penetration still remained unchanged!), but that never resulting in a penetration difference from the lasers, is a very big coincidence, don't you think? :)

Yet, the Laser example is not exclusive. Take a look at this:

WC1 Mass Driver, damage: 45cm
WC2 Mass Driver, damage: 45cm
WC3 Mass Driver, damage: 45cm
WC4 Mass Driver, damage: 45cm
WCP Mass Driver, damage: 35cm

WC1 Neutron gun, damage: 30cm
WC2 Neutron gun, damage: 30cm
WC3 Neutron gun, damage: 30cm
(BTW LOAF, this is nonsense! We know the Neutron gun is more powerful than the mass driver...)

WC2 Particle cannon, damage: 43cm
WC3 Particle cannon, damage: 43cm
WC4 Particle cannon, damage: 43cm
WCP Particle cannon, damage: 42cm

See the pattern?
Your theory, despite being sound, is not correct.

[Edited by mpanty on 06-08-2001 at 00:58]

Something Weird

I was playing RF and crashed-rammed a Paradigm with my Centurion and the weird is that my ship`wass repelled at almost 3000 kps ,i can´t change my direction until it goes to 500 kps, and had travelled from Pentonville navpoint until Junction nav. in 119C, in seconds (not autopiloted)..

Originally posted by Supdon3
If you're going to do something you do it right!
Right! :)

Tell that to the Privateer designers, who started this whole mess by deciding to change the penetration values of the weapons! :D

Re: Something Weird

Originally posted by Ghost
I was playing RF and crashed-rammed a Paradigm with my Centurion and the weird thing, is that my ship was repelled at almost 3000 kps.
I couldn't change my direction until it went to 500 kps, and I had traveled from Pentonville navpoint to Junction in 119C, in seconds (not autopiloted)..
You must be mistaken on the navpoint names. Pentonville and Junction are not in the same system! :)

Though what happened to you is funny! A similar thing happened quite often in WC1. I was afterburning around a Ralari, in a circle, while dogfighting with Grathas (I was trying to put the Ralari between me and the Grathas, so that the stupid AI Cats would shoot their own capship -works like a charm).

Well what happened was that the Grathas kept colliding with the Ralari (probably some bitmapping bug that didn't allow them to avoid the obstacle very well), and after three rapid successive bumps by a Gratha, the Ralari shot away at incredible speed!! And I failed the mission 'cause I didn't manage to destroy it: I couldn't reach it anymore! :)

Originally posted by mpanty
(BTW LOAF, this is nonsense! We know the Neutron gun is more powerful than the mass driver...)
That's what I said. I think B-Lo said that's the way it was in the KS manual, or something like that.

I've experience both collisions before as well. Paradigms will shoot you to 3000+kps (very funny), and I had to autopilot to get the Ralari back. :)

Grr... if you people are gonna debate this, do some research first :). Lasers, in WC1 and 2 do 1.8 centimetres (in-game in WC2, 2.5 cm) of damage - not 18 cm. A Mass Driver does 4.5 centimetres (in-game in WC2, 3 cm).

[H]ow can a laser cannon be more powerful than a Plasma cannon?!!

It isn't. You're misinterpreting and/or misapplying the so-called centimeter standard for the various games. Take a close look, for example, at the definition for gun "penetration" in the WC3 game manual, Victory Streak, page 33. The numbers are expressed in tenths of a centimeter, not centimeters.

Back