What I hate

I have a decent joystick for the desktop at my parents home. But down here at school, it isn't compatible with my laptop. When I get some money, I need to invest in one with a USB plugin.

The darndest thing is that WC2 CAME with a joystick, but I had to use a mouse because it didn't work... you REALLY don't wanna know how many times I got splashed... -_-;;;

My success rate with keyboards during WC3 was even worse, if that's possible...I had to punch out on my very first patrol. In comparison, I've used a joystick with WCKS and only died on one...okay, three missions. (Although one I kept having to play over and over...). Of course, I have had a great deal more practice. :D

Do you still have the box and name of that joystick? Trying to find out specific information about the version of WC2 that came with a 'stick...

Oh yes, right by my keyboard. The only joysticjk I ever owned... -_-;;;

It's a Gravis generic two-button. Can't find the model. Got it just before WCIII came out. :D

Eh, people don't bother learning to use the mouse properly and then talk about how the joystick has greater finesse.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Originally posted by Frosty
I prefer joysticks because they allow a greater degree of finesse...
Hmm, yes, but finesse means nothing unless you complete the mission. ;)
Silly! Finesse allows you to complete the mission...

The bad thing with keyboards, is that sometimes they get "locked" (I already explained this), meaning that you go in one direction pushing a button, and to change directions you have to stop pushing and push another button, you can't push more than two buttons at the same time...

I had many problems with that... couldn't steer the fighter while firing at the same time... the direction I was manoeuvering at got "locked" and my target got out of sights! :mad:

Using a joystick eliminates these problems, but learning to handle it requires quite some practice...

[Edited by mpanty on 06-05-2001 at 13:02]

Heh, you're just unco-ordinated, I've had little problem in WC using keyboards. :) Of course, if I actually bothered to get a joystick, things might turn out differently. I still remember making a fool of myself playing WC3 Sol system at my friend's place so long ago using a joystick - switched to keyboard and everything was easy. :)

Originally posted by redwolf
Mouse, double clicking, afterburn, hit Tiger's Claw hull, death...
You sloppy excuse for a pilot!! Do you know how much a fighter costs? :)

Ehm... ok LOAF... it was a rhetorical question, and I wasn't asking you, but good to know! :)

A fighter costs 100 mil? Isn't that a little high?

Let's look at this.

The best solid numbers we have are from Priv and Priv 2. The best ship for purchase in Priv is 200k, which is a heavy fighter/transport ship. Pretty big, expected to be considered expensive. In P2, the most expensive is 215k (I think, don't have the sheet with me at the moment). This one is a straight up fighter, no transport involved.

On each, to bring them up to a really nice level of useability, you spend at least 50k, usually more like 100k. But just to be generous, let's say you got really free with the credit card and spend 150k on upgrades, leather interior and all. So you're looking at 350k-365k.

Now: given that military fighters use mucho differentio systems, I can understand that they'd be a lot more expensive. Even a really really nice one like a decked out Excal, you know it's gonna be expensive. But 100 mil? I could see maybe 15 mil....

The number you listed was from Fleet Action, right? When they were in the meeting and the carrier cost 8 and a half billion and some change or something? Canon though it can be considered, it still seems wildly wrong...

The number is from Wing Commander 1 -- a fully loaded military fighter is *far*, *far* superior to a civilian transport ship like those we fly in Privateer... consider it similar to buying an F-18 versus buying a used car. <G>

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
A fully loaded military fighter is *far*, *far* superior to a civilian transport ship like those we fly in Privateer
You're not saying that a WC1 Hornet, or even Raptor is better than a fully loaded with Tachyons and Plasmas Centurion?

And if you aren't, well then... if the Centurion is better, how come it is as much as 500,000 credits cheaper than the value you suggested??

[Edited by mpanty on 06-06-2001 at 23:31]

Well this are the stranged things about WC Universe....*Twilight zone theme*.. lower prices, guns that don´t do the same damage in the same timeframe... IR missile that cost 75 Credits.. If buying an IR missile costs 75 credits how much costs a beer or scotch in any Bar of the Gemini Sector, maybe 0.0005 credits.. if an AMRAAM cost 1000000 bucks ??????

Originally posted by mpanty
You're not saying that a WC1 Hornet, or even Raptor is better than a fully loaded with Tachyons and Plasmas Centurion?

Well actually ...
Check out the damage capacity :
Centurion : 4xTachyon = 4x3.8cm/400ms = 38cm/s
Hornet : 2xLaser = 2x18cm/250ms = 144cm/s

Admittedly the Hornet has only 1/5th the armor of the Centurion, but the Arrow has 4x the Centurions armor while the T-Bolt is 6x the armor and deals 15x the damage.

Military (WC1-4) weapons do 5x to 15x the damage of civilian (Privateer).

Remember that Privateer takes place at around the same time as WC3, and is set in a backwater system, hence the antiquated Confed and Kilrathi vessels that are found there.

I'm saying that a Thunderbolt or an Arrow is far, far superior to a Centurion (similar era'd ships).

Originally posted by AzraeL
Remember that Privateer takes place at around the same time as WC3, and is set in a backwater system, hence the antiquated Confed and Kilrathi vessels that are found there.
Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I'm saying that a Thunderbolt or an Arrow is far, far superior to a Centurion (similar era'd ships).
Oh okay then. I thought Privateer took place at the same era as WC1 and 2.

However, the Stilettos and the Broadswords, i.e the fighters Confed pilots are flying in the game, are inferior to a fully armed Centurion.
But since Azrael said, the story takes place in a backwater system, I guess it's okay...

Though, LOAF, let me ask you a question. You said a fighter costs 100,000,000 credits... a fighter. What fighter are you thinking of?
And more importantly, do we have any figures for the costs of WC1 and 2 fighters (e.g. from Claw Marks)???

Back