Spirit

ViolentAJ

Swabbie
Banned
I think that she's a quite interesting character, actually. She's also realistic to Japanese women, since she hates Knight.

I like Spirit when she's know where near my wing.

I swear the Gwynhevar(sp?) mission in SM1 would be a LOT easier with Hunter or Iceman on your wing.

...As opposed to this thread, which is most certainly the least intelligent subject I've seen here in a long time. I don't know what's stupidest in this thread - the notion that Japanese women uniformly hate blacks, the notion that Spirit hates Knight because she says he's poor company (do you even know what that phrase means?), or finally, the fact that you thought that Spirit's supposed conformance to your silly stereotype makes her an interesting character.

If all Japanese women hated blacks, and if Spirit hated Knight because he's black and she's a Japanese woman... wouldn't that make her a very, very uninteresting character by virtue of being a walking stereotype?

(...though, of course, that's exactly what she was - oh, she's Japanese AND a pilot? Well, let me guess how she's gonna die... :) )

Well, she's interesting because she's a realistic character in a sea of fantasy. That makes her quite interesting. She did die in a kamikaze attack too, which was rather interesting.

I can't really remember Spirit being much of a character. She never really had anything interesting to say in WC1, and in WC2 she decided to go kamikaze because something blew up on her fighter. She also said lots of things in Japanese for whatever reason.

I think she's pretty forgettable, but a lot of people seems to think she was the greatest character ever.

She's not the greastest character ever, but I think that she was truly interesting. I would like to know more about her. She is the most realistic character in Wing Commander IMO. Real Japanese women say random stuff in Japanese too whenever they feel like it.

It's true though. There's proof in the game. She says that Knight is poor company.

Err - no. Knight is "poor company" to Spirit in that scene because he's fuming about the rumors going around about him; Knight and Spirit seem to drink together fairly regularly (I count six missions, without checking for more). Knight is, IIRC, the first person to console her after she learns her fiance has died. (And isn't Knight her wingman in the movie's shooting script?)

Now drop the gimmick or the axe you're grinding or whatever stupid neo-internet crap is going on here before I drop you.

I think she's pretty forgettable, but a lot of people seems to think she was the greatest character ever.

Wing Commander II is what does it; the transition away from two-dimensional sweetheart to her various WC2 roles is what makes her character great. Her story is nice, stereotypical suicide aside -- seeing her as an older woman who has lost what she was fighting for forced into an immoral choice is cool... but her real value is her effect on the other characters. Seeing Angel have a best friend and Blair have a "little sister" (his words) in the middle of everything adds a whole lot of unexpected humanity to everything.

...and in WC2 she decided to go kamikaze because something blew up on her fighter...
Er no, it was because of a lot more than that.

And from an out-of-universe perspective, I'd say that Meron was killed off in that explosion on her fighter so that she could go and commit suicide without dragging someone along with her. Not that the explosion itself caused her to go on a kamikaze run.

I'd say that Meron was killed off in that explosion on her fighter

I always wondered about this. Otherwise, that would be an awful way to go - your pilot suddenly decides to ram the target and you're helpless to resist!

I always wondered about this. Otherwise, that would be an awful way to go - your pilot suddenly decides to ram the target and you're helpless to resist!

I'm pretty sure the gunner would have their own eject lever rather than have to rely on the pilot to eject. I mean what happens if the pilot is killed but the gunner is still alive and there's no eject system is controlled by the pilot? I'm don't think they'd want to lose a trained gunner because they were unable to eject cos the pilot is dead? I'm sure Confed wouldn't be that cruel

I'd think that the eject level that the gunner pulls would probably eject both pilot and gunner and vice versa, similar to the ejection system in two-seater fighters.

I've always wondered about automatic ejections. I figure if you are a pilot and focusing on other things, you wouldn't want to have to worry about pulling the eject lever too. I do remember reading in "End Run" Bear talking about a system like that, which activated when the shields disappeared (or something like that). Apparently, pilots would forget to de-activate the system and smear themselves on the flight deck roof when shutting off their fighters. Hmm, not too bright. I can see where this kind of system would be prone to malfunction, but wouldn't it have also prevented Hunter's death?

Hunter died in an area of space where he had exactly 0 chance of getting picked up by the confederation. I think he chose to die rather than be captured in some kilrathi backwater.

Back