Sound in space

Hi

Two things firstly there is no thrusters at the front of a fighter because of the scoop that collects hydrogen partices from space to drive the engine. This scoop is also the explanation for the atmosphric carateristics of the fighter as mentioned in End Run

Secondly its conciveable that there is minute sound vibrations due to these particles hence the ship amblifies them and we get sound ala Tyrian

Sorry to sound annoying ;)

Originally posted by pendell
We DO like it for what it is, and part of the fun is
inventing scientific explanations for things! :D Explaining
apparent scientific anomalies is a fun mental exercise,
and can add depth to the game, making it more enjoyable
for all. That's why there's that huge section on the
Akwende jump drive in the Wing Commander book published
around the same time as the movie.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

[Edited by pendell on 04-06-2001 at 14:24] [/B]

I agree 100%. After all, for the most of us, Wing Commander is more than just a game. My opinion is that, although we have a Science Fiction game, there should still be some links to reality. So I want to have everything explained (I know that most things do not hold, still if we get explanations that hold in a certain degree, it increses the fun and depth of the game, as you pointed out)

Michael

Discussions are the key to new ideas and new inventions. There are things today that we have that just 30 years ago was science fiction. Everyone remembers the communicator in ST series, well that reflects todays cell phones and palm pc's. 30 years ago, a portable phone took up space that would take up half the room in a cadillac trunk! Today it fits in your hand and some are less than the size of a deck of cards! And to think that today you have more computing power in that cell phone compared to the computing power of the Apollo space craft! Who knows, in 10, 20, 30 years what is to come in the way of technology.

RFB

Originally posted by Quarto
(...) and I got through the SO1 Epee missions.
Wow... in how many tries?

Ehm, took me 6 hours to finish that Epees vs. Epee mission... :rolleyes:

Not all that many, mpanty. In fact, I think it might have actually been less than usual.

I'd like to place my vote that the Epee doesn't actually qualify as a fighter, but is more of a manned Capship Missile. After all, you'd swear the thing was designed to explode...

Originally posted by Quarto
Very well, you suck.
I guess I asked for it... ;)

But really, even the Hornet was better... I think it could take more damage than the Epee...

In an epee, the first enemy dual shots of particle cannons take down your shields, the second eats up your armor completely and damages one or two systems, the third... well if you're lucky you might just hear the ejection alarm in time... :rolleyes:

Back