Promotions in the WC Universe

Originally posted by Quarto
Well, you can't really blame Maniac for the demise of the Wild Eagles :).

No, I guess not, but Maniac has such a run of bad luck with his commands (the Wild Eagles, getting demoted after being made WC of the Kiev, the squadron he gets in Prophecy) that you're left with the impression that command isn't really his thing.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Raptor
True. First she's hanging Angel out to dry on a mission and then moving in on Blair. Although, TBH, Blair didn't seem all that reluctant to be moved in on. :D
Actually, first she came onto Blair (and he looked quite surprised... I don't think he was really all that interested in her), and then she hung Angel out to dry - and that was where her evil plan failed ;).

My impression from Maniac's bio in the WCP guide is that he turned down the position on Kiev because it threatened to take him out of the cockpit.

Originally posted by pendell
Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Well, Blair graduated in '54 and was a Lieutenant Colonel in '56 -- but that was wartime, and he'd proved himself to be an exceptional leader, something Confed was *desperate* for.

And such a jump is not unheard of in wartime. During
the US Civil War, ISTR Sherman started the war as a
Captain and finished up as a Major General! Custer,
Chamberlain made similar jumps. That war was only
four years long.

[Edited by Iceberg on 04-06-2001 at 09:01]

Originally posted by Nep Parth
BETTER PROGRAMMED.

Frankly, my wingmen did pretty well until I was promoted to a Scrimitar...which I loved at first (my fondest memory of WC was my first mission with a Scrim. I was bearing down on a Dralthi, it on me, and I unloaded a full load of mass drivers on it. It was killed before it could fire on me...all the rounds hit! I loved the damn thing. Now, I hate it...time flies, eh?). After the Scrimitar missions when I started racking up the kills, my wingmen began to, well, drop like flies.

Well, compared to the lasers on the Hornet, the Scimm's mass-drivers rip, both in terms of damage and rate-of-fire.

The Rapier sucked... Well, at least in WC1... Never got the chance to play it out

Mhmm, I was never all that impressed with either. I mean, sure, the Rapier's a pretty good ship, but it's not really anything to write home about. I almost died in that asteroid belt in Gimle (the need for speed ;)), and of course the first Rapier mission of WC2 is quite a traumatic experience. No, Hobbes! Don't leave me alone with Kur and his Grikaths!

I quite liked the Rapier in WC1. While the Raptor was my definite favorite, the Rapier's combination of speed, agility and hitting power made it a good dogfighter. The big drawback was the weak armour, but the same could be said about the Excalibur. By the time you got to WC2 though, the Rapier was starting to show its age.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Quarto
Mhmm, I was never all that impressed with either. I mean, sure, the Rapier's a pretty good ship, but it's not really anything to write home about. I almost died in that asteroid belt in Gimle (the need for speed ;)), and of course the first Rapier mission of WC2 is quite a traumatic experience. No, Hobbes! Don't leave me alone with Kur and his Grikaths!

Kur... well I think this was one of the hardest ever missions I played in Wing Commander. What I really hated about the Rapier were its laser guns. They were much too weak, and I remember in WC 2 that the guns didnt take that much time to be destroyed...

In WC1, it certainly was inferior to the Raptor, but it still was a good ship.

I liked the WC1 Raptor way more. I was actually kind of dissapointed when I moved up to the Rapier. For one thing, as I tend to do my shooting at close range, the Rapier's lasers didn't do much for me. Now Mass Drivers and Neutrons were much more fun!

Originally posted by Icedagger
I liked the WC1 Raptor way more. I was actually kind of dissapointed when I moved up to the Rapier. For one thing, as I tend to do my shooting at close range, the Rapier's lasers didn't do much for me. Now Mass Drivers and Neutrons were much more fun!
Especially as one direct hit from the Raptor could kill a Sahlthi... Very funny. In WC1, however, the Rapier with its great maneuverability was ok, too, it just sucked in Wing 2

The Raptor was my fav in WC1 too, but I found the Rapier almost her equal. What I liked about her was that she was no super ship like the Excal or the Dragon. She had her strengths and weaknesses.
And I liked the Rapier in WC2 very much. Mostly because she evoked sentimental feelings, but I also found her a potent medium fighter. Fast,maneuverable and heavily armed with aedequate protection.

Ehm nah, i have to disagree on this one...

The Rapier in WC1 was way better than the WC2 version, despite the latter had better weapons...
The WC2 model simply did not have enough protection... its armor really sucked!

Okay, its armour was weak (about the Ferret's, only a little stronger on the sides, non?) but so was the armour on the WC1 Rapier, which had less than the Scimitar.
And the shields of the WC2 rapier were just 2cm weaker than those of the Sabre. I do not say that the Rapier had good protection, but she had adequate protection. Her speed and agility enabled her to avoid enemy fire (only with the right pilot of course ;) ), and her heavy weaponry, with good range and enough energy to fire a couple of salvos, was more than enough to hold off any Kilrathi fighter.
Plus, it hadn't that ITTS so it was a fighter for a real pilot, not a lamer who just had to follow that red dot.

For me, the best fighter in WC2 simply was the Broadsword... a FLYING FORTRESS!! Amazing shields and armor, heavy firepower, and mostly, oh boy: THREE TURRETS!!

I even prefer the Broadsword to the Crossbow... :)

Its incredibly thick shields and armour, more than compensate for the lack of afterburners... :)

Back