Promotions in the WC Universe

Originally posted by mpanty
(...)
Ok LOAF... :)
But you know what Mekt meant...

In WC I and II, you can't press more than two keys at once, or the first keys will get "locked" until you stop pressing them.
For example try moving the fighter in two directions at once (e.g. up+right) and firing at the same time... if you continue to fire, even if you release the direction keys, your fighter will continue going in the up+right direction.
Happened to me all the time, and that's why I had to stop using the keyboard in WC III... just didn't work out anymore... [/B]

Thanks mpanty(uahrggh ;)). That was exactly what I meant.

Originally posted by Nep Parth
Maniac had a squadron in SO2. He WASTED it, and, let's face it, noone wanted to use the Morningstar because NOBODY WANTS A THERMONUCLEAR MISSILE HANGING ON THEIR REAR END, waiting for the enemy to shoot it off! Which is precisely what happened everytime I shot the damn thing off. Maniac made Major in SO2, by the way...so he's been a major for even longer!

Maniac was a major before SO2 -- he made Major when he destroyed a pair of Ralatha in Deneb.

As for no one wanting the Morningstar -- it was considered the premiere Confederation anti-capship weapon in 2668, according to the Academy manual.

(...) no one wanted to use the Morningstar because NOBODY WANTS A THERMONUCLEAR MISSILE HANGING ON THEIR REAR END, waiting for the enemy to shoot it off!
Well you see... even now A-bombs have security devices, that enable them NOT to blow up if you just drop them...

Hence I think these devices are enough to prevent the bomb from detonating (e.g. due to a direct hit) if you don't want to... basically, you're in control! Until you fire it od course... :)

Originally posted by NoRemorse
Yes, you're right, I forgot it... since SO2... well, really poor guy... crazy but unfortunate... Even Bondarevski is more lucky...

Not lucky?! You're calling a guy who can take out a destroyer in a Hellcat unlucky!? :)

...let's face it, noone wanted to use the Morningstar because NOBODY WANTS A THERMONUCLEAR MISSILE HANGING ON THEIR REAR END, waiting for the enemy to shoot it off! Which is precisely what happened everytime I shot the damn thing off.

I remember talking about on the CZ how weapons won't explode until you arm them, hence if you crash into your carrier your torps won't go off. :) I guess that wasn't the case in SO2 (I never finished it...though I did play it).

(...) no one wanted to use the Morningstar because NOBODY WANTS A THERMONUCLEAR MISSILE HANGING ON THEIR REAR END, waiting for the enemy to shoot it off!
Well you see... even now A-bombs have security devices, that enable them NOT to blow up if you just drop them...

Hence I think these devices are enough to prevent the bomb from detonating (e.g. due to a direct hit) if you don't want to... basically, you're in control! Until you fire it od course... :)

From a technological point of view, nuclear bombs are by far the safest bombs that exist, as they cannot explode unless the critical mass is reached. Even a direct laser hit cannot ignite an a-bomb (unless it is constructed so that it detonates when hit, which seems to be the case for the WC mace, a design that would NEVER be approved today).

Me, I'd rather have a nuke in my ship than a dumbfire or starburst that explodes nearby

Besides which -- a nuclear explosive is NOT a chemical
explosive! It is NOT triggered off by sudden shocks!
Heck, you could probably drop one off the top of the
Empire State Building and nothing would happen. The only
thing (I think) that will trigger a nuclear explosive is the specific ignition sequence. If the neutrons don't
go into the nuclear material in just the right way, at
just the right time, fission doesn't happen. Without
fission, it can't multistage to fusion. You're
left with a pile of radioactive material.

Heck -- a solid enough blow might actually *prevent* a
nuclear blast by deforming the shape the nuclear
material is in enough so that it can't sustain a reaction.

Awaiting correction by anyone who know more.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I'd say the Mace is 'armed' as soon as it leaves it hardpoint on the fighter. That's why it can be hit with weapons...

What exactly is a shipkiller torp made out of if its not nuclear?

Originally posted by redwolf
I'd say the Mace is 'armed' as soon as it leaves it hardpoint on the fighter. That's why it can be hit with weapons...

What exactly is a shipkiller torp made out of if its not nuclear?

I think the shipkiller is made out of antimatter. QUITE
a kick.

As to the Mace -- anyone who'd design a rocket like
that has to be crazy. But it was a Maniac design, so
I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Ironically, the Mace has already *been* built and used.
See
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/arm/arm16.htm
http://www.danshistory.com/nuke.html

for a description of the AIR-2A, an unguided Air-to-air
nuclear missile used by the USAF. It was intended
for use against massed bomber formations, but was never
used in combat.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

[Edited by pendell on 04-17-2001 at 14:07]

In WC I and II, you can't press more than two keys at once, or the first keys will get "locked" until you stop pressing them.
Pff, you guys just have cruddy keyboards. :) I've never had and such 'locking' problems.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Maniac was a major before SO2 -- he made Major when he destroyed a pair of Ralatha in Deneb.
Funny how High Command supposedly wanted to make him a colonel. :)

Originally posted by Wedge009
Pff, you guys just have cruddy keyboards. :) I've never had and such 'locking' problems.
Well good for you... ":)"

Originally posted by Supdon3
pfff, i could toast a destroyer in an arrow. Thats no big feat.

Yes, but what difficulty setting? Anyway, unlucky or not, Maniac has a bigger kill score than most squadrons...:)

Besides, which Maniac are we talking about here? If it's the Maniac from the games, then okay. If he's the one from the book, don't bother, he's invulnerable. :)

Originally posted by Madhouse
The next WC should have the option to arm all your missiles, set course for a target at top spead and then eject. Of course, if it didnt blow up what you were trying to kill, you'd get tractored in and killed, but it would be nice to win a mission by kamikaze. Just as long as you eject so you can enjoy the victory :).

Originally posted by pendell
Ironically, the Mace has already *been* built and used.
See
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/arm/arm16.htm
http://www.danshistory.com/nuke.html

for a description of the AIR-2A, an unguided Air-to-air
nuclear missile used by the USAF. It was intended
for use against massed bomber formations, but was never
used in combat.

What do these two have in common? They've both been designed! The Germans were working on a rocketplane at the end of WWII, with a warhead nose and loaded with missiles. It was also developed for use against bomber formations (smell the Irony... :) ). The idea was to go up, fire off the rockets, ram the nearest B-17 and then eject. However, it never got off the ground. :)

[Edited by Bob McDob on 04-21-2001 at 01:33]

Back