End Run the movie?

Originally posted by mpanty
Au contraire, I think the time is ripe for another apocalyptic confrontation between furballs and Terrans...

The time is never ripe to be stupid.

But you and Weasel are welcome to insult us as well, not that it's gonna change your posting habits...

There's a difference between insulting you out of the blue, for no reason and persecuting you for being disruptive and annoying. Of course, if you'd just follow the rules, we'd have no material to insult you with, would we? :)

Originally posted by WildWeasel
The time is never ripe to be stupid.
If you are stupid, there's not much you can do about it...
On the other hand, acting stupid from time to time is a great way to let go and have a bit of fun...
There's a difference between insulting you out of the blue, for no reason and persecuting you for being disruptive and annoying. Of course, if you'd just follow the rules, we'd have no material to insult you with, would we? :)
I don't think we're being disruptive... just a bit annoying perhaps... :p
And anwyay... trying to be sensible with our posts "is not to say that we are to be serious 100% of the time" (dixit Kris)... ;)

If you are stupid, there's not much you can do about it...

Hehe. Is that a confession? ;)

I don't think we're being disruptive... just a bit annoying perhaps...
And anwyay... trying to be sensible with our posts "is not to say that we are to be serious 100% of the time" (dixit Kris)...

That's exactly my point. Nobody ever complains when you tag a little joke onto the end of a sensible post. The problems start when entire threads (like this one, for example) get taken-over by (and I'll put it nicely) silliness. Then things get out of hand and people get yelled at. You may not think you're being disruptive, but you may not even notice it until it's too late.

Now lads, play nice. Be gentle. :D

he, mpanty. Check out my new sig.

I don't find these threads disturbing at all. As long as ya stick to insults which have something to do with WC and you don't post to really hurt anyone. Maybe somebody should put up a poll on who likes 'em and who hates 'em.

Hehe. Is that a confession? ;-)
The only thing I will confess, is that sometimes my posts do get silly, but where's the harm? ;-)
Originally posted by Talyn 83
I don't find these threads disturbing at all. As long as ya stick to insults which have something to do with WC and you don't post to really hurt anyone.
That's my point, but the general uneasiness some people have with these threads is because the first one got out of hand at some point, when we ended up using Monkey Island insults (even though that proved to be one hell of a thread, and one hell of a laughing riot :D) instead of WC related ones...
And it goes without saying that is 100% for fun, and not meant to hurt anyone, even though Mekt really is a stinky and arthtritic furball! :D
Originally posted by Talyn 83
he, mpanty. Check out my new sig.
Eheh nice... more and more people quote me these days...
I'm honoured... ;-)

This is no insult to the fact that you're new, Talyn, but you really haven't been around long enough to have seen how bad some threads have gotten. You've probably heard rumors about the dreaded "insults thread." That one wasn't even serious to begin with. Its sole purpose was to disrupt and annoy, and that is why it had to die. Topic drift is normal, but when they drift down that path, blood will spill. I think everyone here agrees that it's best to avoid that, right? :)

(...) You've probably heard rumors about the dreaded "insults thread." That one wasn't even serious to begin with. Its sole purpose was to disrupt and annoy, and that is why it had to die.
I disagree. The purpose of the "Insults" thread was to have something some of you guys are too serious too understand, "a bit of fun". If you are annoyed by the fact that other people are enjoying themselves, then I feel sorry for you... :(
Topic drift is normal, but when they drift down that path, blood will spill. I think everyone here agrees that it's best to avoid that, right? :)
I agree to avoid blood spillage, that can get nasty...
On the other hand, I support thread drifting to insults, as long as only one thread at a time is "infected", as you might put it Weasel...

I read all the way through that thread. Highly amusing that was. At one point my dad came into my room to tell me to keep quiet. I was laughing so hard, they couldn't sleep.
:D

Whether you support something, on this board, is entirely irrelevant, pantyboy.

It seems that I've been away from the board for far too long, judging from the few threads I glanced at, just now. Occasional silliness tacked onto a legitimate/informative post is one thing; silly posts disrupting a legitimate, WC-related thread are another.

Guess which one is more likely to get people banned and/or threads closed?

I disagree. The purpose of the "Insults" thread was to have something some of you guys are too serious too understand, "a bit of fun". If you are annoyed by the fact that other people are enjoying themselves, then I feel sorry for you...

It's odd that you should say that, seeing how you're the one that brought this up earlier...

10) Please be aware of the fact that the CIC is limited in bandwidth & server space, and try to be sensible with your posts. Which is not to say that you are to be serious 100% of the time - but there are limits on "silly" posts.

There's the official rule. Now, tell me... Is an entire thread devoted to being "silly" sensible?

(I'd also like to point out that there's a difference between being silly and being stupid...)

Eheh... all I had to do was mention Death's name and *POOF*, here he comes... :)

It's odd that you should say that, seeing how you're the one that brought this up earlier...
I brought it up because you were desperately trying to resist "not... destroying... morons"... ;)

There's the official rule. Now, tell me... Is an entire thread devoted to being "silly" sensible?
Don't dare tell me you've never broken a rule in your life... :)

(I'd also like to point out that there's a difference between being silly and being stupid...)
Enlighten me.

I brought it up because you were desperately trying to resist "not... destroying... morons"...

So you expected to be able to hide behind a rule that you constantly break?

Don't dare tell me you've never broken a rule in your life...

Why would I tell you that? I stretch and break rules all the time. However, far and few between are the times when I've broken any of the Chat Zone's rules, and most of that happened back when I was new around here. If you're asking for advice on how not to break rules, then perhaps I can help you. Don't post for the sake of posting. Only post when you have something relevant to add to the thread and you should be fine. :)

Enlighten me.

One is at least tolerable at times. The other is not.

What's the difference between silly and stupid? Well, for starters, when an administrator or moderator says you're being stupid, that's usually what most would consider a hint. This thread has rather significantly drifted well into the territory of the latter.

That's a hint, by the way...

And, BTW, whether WW had broken any rules or not is irrelevant. Playing the "deflect the blame" game is not how one generally endears themselves to others, particularly if those others have the ability to ban people.

Originally posted by Frosty
You guys, nobody but you likes to see those little Kilrathi/Human rivalry in-jokes in every thread. You've done it once, you shouldn't ever have to do it again.

You and WildWeasel don't like it, that's obvious. And you don't get tired of telling us but that doesn't look like a problem to me. Most of the people here haven't complained and some expressed that they were (at least vaguely :p) amused by it.

The only probvlem I see ist that the Admins don't seem to be particulary fond of the idea...

And "in every thread" sounds a bit exaggerated...

It was Death who came up with the first (and original) 10 rules.

On the matter of starting another insults thread, it probably wouldn't last very long. It would be a waste of bandwidth, as it would be just the same as the original. There is an insults thread - go read it if you like that sort of thing.

As for making Human vs Terran in-jokes in individual posts, I personally think they make you look immeasurably stupid. If you don't have a problem with that, I don't either. Just don't overdo it.

Back