Guys... isn't this a little?

TheFraix

Vice Admiral
Spooky.

I don't know how many of us are disappointed by EA (I estimate a 95-100%), but I'm beginning to understand the nature why EA is hampering Wing Commander so much and instead developing the Ultima Online worlds.

http://www.geocities.com/vigilante_321/EA_Truth.html

That link above might explain some things a bit, I'm just wondering. I've never played UO, and I heard from various sources that such a game can be heavily addicting.

I need your opinions about UO.

Send any e-mail to vigilante_321@yahoo.com

Whoa, whoa, whoa. First of all, if you're gonna try to do a proper essay with referencing, at least reference all the stuff that actually needs to be referenced - for examples, the reasons why Roberts left, and that "creative license" thing for the source code petition (that was certainly not what David Swofford's letter said).
And the 'thousands' you refer to were in fact mere 'hundreds'. If you want to persuade somebody about something, never ever make things up :).

Ultima Online is a game that fullfills Origin's slogan: "We Create Worlds" -- it also goes with the grand tradition of fun games that are *unique*. With UO, Origin created an entirely new genre -- we should *not* badmouth UO because we don't like the fact that it makes money: Origin took a risk and won, just like they did with many WIng Commander products. UO is, at heart, a very interesting, enjoyable game with a strong community... EA believes that the success of UO can be replicated, and so they have tasked Origin with the upkeep of UO -- keeping it new and fresh so that people will continue to join. There's nothing *wrong* with this...

A lot of your article is just plain wrong...

Electronic Arts didn't 'assimilate' Origin -- Richard Garriot, Origin's founder, *sold* the company to Electronic Arts. They funded and published every game from Wing Commander *2* Deluxe Edition on... were it not for EA, Origin would never have been able to afford FMV...

Chris Roberts left Origin because he'd spent far too much money on Wing Commander IV -- on completely pointless things: he bought a full-size mockup of the shuttle, for instance. He went so over budget that Origin couldn't afford to give the overworked WCIV team their Christmas bonuses... Origin was *not* a good place for Chris Roberts to remain working. Further, he believed that he'd impressed Hollywood with Wing 4 -- and that they'd let him come do what he'd always wanted to, direct movies.

The idea that focusing on MMP games is 'stupid' is... well, stupid. UO, the first MMP game in modern history, continues to make more money than any WIng Commander game ever did. Electronic Arts even told Origin they could continue to develop the single player Ultima and Wing Commander franchises, providing they could ship more than a million units. WCP and U9 did not. Even despite this, they kept on the Maverick team to develop Secret Ops... despite the fact that it was utterly impossible for said product to make any money (SO was a chance, just like UO... if enough people had downloaded it, it'd have been the unique new business model for WC games...).

How about I just go to EA and break down their door with my E-Frame Exosuit and smash everything to peices until they do another WC game.

Then Loaf can just fly over in an Excal or something equally as heavy and bomb the place to the ground with some IFFs and IRs.

If the music petition works out, maybe that will show EA how WC is still a potential money maker and that they should move to make a new one. If not, load up a flash pak into LOAF's Excalibur! I will stand by in my Centurion with full load of Steltek guns and Photon torpedos! Or better yet, we will get the entire WC community to get in their favorite ships, and we all just park in orbit right above EA's main office and light em up! :)

RFB

Hmm...

I was just curious... do you think that Wing Commander, as it stands, can survive another run? I liked Prophecy, but to be honest... WCIII was prolly the pivotal moment in Wing Commander and it kinda went downhill from there. Prophecy's storyline seemed a lil like "Damn, we shoulda listened to Tolwyn. Now we're screwed." and poof, a new "Kilrathi" ;) cept they're definately hairless and a whole lot meaner. Cornier too. "We are doom"?! So much for doom if they suck down tachyon guns and a pair of Pilum's.

What happenned to my beloved Dragons?

Well the war with the Kilrathi is long over, the "bugs" were defeated in SO, if theres going to be a new WC, it should have something totally new we have yet to see or deal with. That may be the sting thats holding a new WC game back, they (EA) has no idea on what to do next. They should monitor the CZ and see all these great ideas in these threads.

RFB

I want that bug thing finished, even if it was not such a great concept.
And what do you mean by "WCIII was prolly the pivotal moment in Wing Commander and it kinda went downhill from there" ?
WC4 was not worse than 3, rather better.

Okay.

Thanks for the comments (LOAF especially for his incredible knowledge and understanding of the reality behind WC and Origin).

Can you guys help find some references?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Chris Roberts left Origin because he'd spent far too much money on Wing Commander IV -- on completely pointless things: he bought a full-size mockup of the shuttle, for instance. He went so over budget that Origin couldn't afford to give the overworked WCIV team their Christmas bonuses... Origin was *not* a good place for Chris Roberts to remain working. Further, he believed that he'd impressed Hollywood with Wing 4 -- and that they'd let him come do what he'd always wanted to, direct movies.
Weeell... truth revealed...
I knew that many at EA complained about Roberts spending too much on the video part of WC IV... but to believe he actually went over budget...

Thats just really a pity... the man's got talent for directing... the scenes from WC IV are some really good material...
The problem is, when he finally got to direct a movie, he wanted to do too much with not enough... :(

[Edited by mpanty on 04-24-2001 at 17:23]

It probably *was* worth it... because 40 percent more people would hate the movie. And then I'd have to hire an intern.

;)
I guess you're right...

BTW, does Roberts consider working for Hollywood again?

[Edited by mpanty on 04-24-2001 at 20:23]

Back