Fralthi

Its easily possible that the Supercruiser was destroyed not long after the movie, and a new Confederation-class ship was coming online, and Tolwyn, continuing to have his flag ship being named Concordia, christened it such. The Tiger's Claw wasnt destroyed til three or four years after WC1 so thats plenty of time for that to happen.

Sorry, it takes five years to maze a ship that side (dont belive me? ask LOAF), so that does not make sense, besides the ship that Tolwyn was in the WC I was the TCS Austin, a Gettysburg(sp) Class Cruiser.
Again it does not make sense.

[Edited by Dragon on 02-24-2001 at 00:22]

i dont know what you said about Tolwyn and the Austin, but im not saying the supercruiser was destroyed and then tolwyn had a whole new ship built, im saying that the Concordia was pretty much finished being built, hadnt been given a name or assignment yet, or had but either way Tolwyn needed a ship and he took this one and made it his.

Also, I dont think that at that time Tolwyn had that much influence besides most of the big ships were finished before the war started, the confederation class is a good example of that, its too massive to be make, besides ConFed was building Destroyers and Cruisers to replace the ones lost in battles, new big ships like the Bengal and Confederation class were unlikely be be build during the war time.
Remenber that ConFed was at war with the Kilrathi well before Blair gets in the academy.

Originally posted by Dragon
Sorry, it takes five years to maze a ship that side (dont belive me? ask LOAF), so that does not make sense, besides the ship that Tolwyn was in the WC I was the TCS Austin, a Gettysburg(sp) Class Cruiser.
Again it does not make sense.

[Edited by Dragon on 02-24-2001 at 00:22]

Well, they seem to go through Enterprises pretty quickly :)

The Concordia in WC2 is a Confederation class dreadnaught.
All you need is for the original Concordia (nameship and hence first of the Concordia class supercruisers) to be destroyed before she is commissioned. Then they simply name the new Confederation ship the Concordia in her honor.

There is nothing that says Tolwyn has to transfer directly from the old to the new. In fact, he could well have several ships in-between) including the TCS Austin. He's an Admiral, not a ships Captain, so he will transfer wherever and to whichever fleet is appropriate. He will take command of a ship/fleet, not take 'his' ship with him.

I think Tolwyn had plenty of influence, enough to be in charge of an entire battle group and fleet operations of an entire sector. All classes of ships were being produced during the war, the big ones werent being produced as rapidly as the destroyers and cruisers. The first supercruiser came online in 2645, eleven years after the start of the war. Carriers are the most important part of the fleet so they were always in production. A replacement carrier for the Bengal was scheduled for around the time of WC1, so they were always building even heavy capital ships. That makes it easily possible a new Confederation Class ship came online intime for Tolwyn to take over after the destruction of the Claw.

The Concordia in WC2 is a Confederation class dreadnaught.
All you need is for the original Concordia (nameship and hence first of the Concordia class supercruisers) to be destroyed before she is commissioned. Then they simply name the new Confederation ship the Concordia in her honor.

. [/B]

thats what im saying!

I will just wait for LOAF to put the dates before going in to this again.
But the movie does colide with the games, Bossman dead, Angel-Blair love, Paladin is a member of ConFed intel (he is not yet, still a pilot in WC I time), battle of terra ?, and other things (hey dont fighters have shields).....

The movie DOES bring up lots of questions, i dont doubt that. Though in the movie, the Kilrathi ships being blown up one at a time as they come through the jump point i wouldnt exactly call a battle, teh Battle of Terra taking place after WC2 and before WC3.

Tolwyn's flag was on the Austin during part of WC1, according to Super Wing Commander.

The TCS Concordia (CVS-65) did not come on line until 2661 (Fleet Action) -- the Confederation class itself, because of the fact that it is based around the PTC recovered from the wreck of the Sivar and the fact that it takes five years to produce a carrier, could not have entered service in 2660. Thus, the TCS Concordia referenced in the transfer orders for Downtown, Shadow et al. in the Kilrathi Saga manual is the Concordia SuperCruiser! Presumably, the supercruiser was destroyed at some point between 2657 and 2661 -- and the name was re-used for the Confederation class ship (it fits with the naming convention, and it would seem to be tradition to always have a Concordia in service).

Timelinewise, the movie takes place several months before Wing Commander 1 -- almost immediately after the first episode of Wing Commander Academy.

The fighters do, indeed, have shields -- you can find their specifics in the Confederation Handbook if you're interested in seeing how they match up to the other craft of the era. As in any movie (WC cut-scenes included), combat must be much quicker in FMV to be entertaining. You do, indeed, see the shield glimmer during the combat in the movie, though... (except in the case of the enemy battleships, which had taken down their shields to fire their torpedoes).

Paladin has, apparently, *always* been a spy -- even when he was a pilot. Angel and Blair being attracted to eachother is not necessarily anything new in WC2...

its entirely possible that the space frame for the Concordia was built and then had the PTC incorporated into the design when it had been recovered and analyzed, bringing it online sooner than you projected.

Well, LOAF makes things fit.
Of course if the movie did not like to remake things all over again in a different way.....(why not the first stages of the war?)

Well if you think about it they did, according to the movie, Confed just had this major fighting action with the Pilgrims just years before the war with the Kilrathi.

The proton accelerator gun formed the keel of the Confederation -- but that's actually meaningless, since we *know* the Concordia entered service in 2661 (she'd been in service for seven years in Fleet Action) (G)

Do you by any chance know where in the book it says that exactly? Not that i doubt you or anything. That would seem rather foolish. Its just that im reading it now and am hoping i hadnt missed something important like that.

I think it's actually mentioned several times -- but the one I'm thinking of right now is Tolwyn mentioning that he'd commanded the ship for seven years during his speech to the Concordia pilots after Operation Red Three gets scrapped (before the treaty signing).

(But I'm not sure, I don't have my FA here...)

Page 23, he says "In the seven years ive been in command of Concordia," and he goes on to recite an impressive kill list.

Back