Fleet Tactics comments threads

Thanks for the answer psych. I hope you don't mind me asking a few more questions.
Are there different versions of the Hellcat in WC3 and the WC3 novel (shorter range) ?
To me it seems that the Hellcat was a backwater fighter like the Stiletto in Privateer and the Rapier was the hot front line fighter. Confed put it only on the front line because they lost the whole Wraith programm during the battle of earth (the production facilities in N.Y IIRC). Is that a possibility or just too much fan fiction .
thx

Duke said:
Thanks for the answer psych. I hope you don't mind me asking a few more questions.
Are there different versions of the Hellcat in WC3 and the WC3 novel (shorter range) ?
To me it seems that the Hellcat was a backwater fighter like the Stiletto in Privateer and the Rapier was the hot front line fighter. Confed put it only on the front line because they lost the whole Wraith programm during the battle of earth (the production facilities in N.Y IIRC). Is that a possibility or just too much fan fiction .
thx

Personally, I got no clue. From the file that Wedge extracted from WC3, and the ship art that came with the "Making of WC3 CD-ROM", the Arrow was the Point Defense fighter and the Hellcat was a Medium Interceptor. This is the general idea what I went with. As for the multiple variant things, this is something where LOAF is better at then I am.

But I personally wouldn't call the Hellcat a backwater fighter though. In the WC4 novel, Paulson says "you cost us a . . . . top of the line Hellcat V". And same novel also says how the Border Worlds Rapiers and Ferrets were obsolete compared to the Confederation Arrows and Hellcats.

The Wraith project being at New York, I found out later that there was no anti-matter attack on New York. That's another thing that I've been meaning to resolve, but had no time lately.

So, more likely the WCA TV "Hellcat" is the Wildcat or Corsair from Action Stations ? Sorry but I had to ask.
The Lexington, by the way is very impressiv. I always thought that the Confed had a carrier to counter the Kilrathi Bhantkara.

Duke said:
So, more likely the WCA TV "Hellcat" is the Wildcat or Corsair from Action Stations ? Sorry but I had to ask.
The Lexington, by the way is very impressiv. I always thought that the Confed had a carrier to counter the Kilrathi Bhantkara.

Personally, I would lean to it as a Wildcat. But this is just my opinion.

And for the Lexington, you should really thank Eder, Lynx, and Starman more. I'm just the joe who asked the Saga team to work on it.

I really liked the site, and I noticed a few things... Isn't 8 days too short for the refit of the WCArmada Lexington? That's how long it took, according to the emails.

Also, weren't all the fighters types in the Victory supposed to be old (IIRC what LOAF and others here said before), older than several WC2 craft? I'm not argueing, just asking.

Hey, who was appointed the Cap'n of the WCArmada Lex? I think they wanted to hint that it was Blair, without making it clear, maybe to avoid clashing with later WC# games. Which would've happen with WC3. Sneaky. ;)

The Lexington timeline was based on the Kilrathi Saga manual, which said "following the attack on Earth . . . a heavy carrier was refitted . . . departs at 2669.018". So we have a definate departure date, but there's no set date on when the Battle of Earth takes place. I think LOAF says it was near the end of 2668, and to be frank, if it was in mid 2668 or near the end of 2668, it doesn't bother me anyway.

I leave the "is the WC3 older then WC2?!?!?!" issue up to the debaters. I take no sides in this issue, and hence I defaulted to the Joan's Listings from the Kilrathi Saga manual, which has "Arrow, Hellcat V, Thunderbolt VII, Longbow, and Excalibur" under 2669 era.

As for Armada, yes it does sound like Blair, but it isn't.

psych said:
I'm trying to find a way how I can put that in yet save ConFleet the embarassment of publically saying "yeah, the destroyer is old as shit. but it's on the front-lines now!" cause to do that would allude to the fact that Confed is losing the war (as I've mentioned, the page is supposed to be very biased).
It's not old... it's just got a great deal of experience ;).

Moonsword said:
Second, what's with the HTML reference on the Confed ship listings? The page jumps to the top of the listings anytime I click something.

Oh, missed that. It should be fixed now.

Bandit LOAF said:
The Rapier II thing predates the movie - it comes from the Kilrathi Saga manual. The movie Rapier just happens to fit well into that available, pre-Rapier slot (just as if the movie had had a 'Thunderbolt' or a 'Hellcat' in it).

The Scimitar II is something Bob made up, as best I can tell.

Mmm, I just thought it might have been used it to justify the Scimitar's operational date, since it's listed as coming online later than the TCH lists it. I can certainly understand if psych feels his time would be better spent on other things than trying to reconcile that (as well as the conflicting designations), though.

Bob McDob said:
Mmm, I just thought it might have been used it to justify the Scimitar's operational date, since it's listed as coming online later than the TCH lists it.
It certainly would make sense. It would especially nicely reconcile the WC1 situation (lots of Scimitars all over the place) with what the TCH says about them (that most Scimitars, especially in frontline ops, have already been replaced by the Rapier I).

I'm not sure the movie stuff should actually be canon considering how different the ship designs are. Capships are not refit the way the Tiger's Claw would have to be to look the way it does. Ditto for the Concordia.

Also, weren't all the fighters types in the Victory supposed to be old (IIRC what LOAF and others here said before), older than several WC2 craft? I'm not argueing, just asking.

In a sense, they are (the Arrow, Hellcat and Longbow show up on the WCA TV show). That said, most of the WC2 ships show up even earlier (Broadsword, Ferret) or at the same time (Epee, Sabre, Rapier II). All that can really be said is that the ships don't necessarily enter service at the exact same times as the games in which you fly them (with, of course, another list of exceptions - Morningstar, Excalibur, Thunderbolt (~6 months), Crossbow, Rapier II, etc...). From an operational standpoint (which is how Psych's site is done), it makes sense to have them in 'game order'.

I think LOAF says it was near the end of 2668, and to be frank, if it was in mid 2668 or near the end of 2668, it doesn't bother me anyway.

My most recent skeleton puts the Battle of Terra at 2668.365... and that could certainly be off by +/- several days (I'll take another whack at the skeleton at some point in the future). It can't really be much earlier, given the amount of time between End Run (roughly a year) and then the amount of time that's actually taken in Fleet Action itself. My specific reasoning for the noveldates can be found here: https://www.wcnews.com/loaf/skeleton.htm

Hey, who was appointed the Cap'n of the WCArmada Lex? I think they wanted to hint that it was Blair, without making it clear, maybe to avoid clashing with later WC# games. Which would've happen with WC3. Sneaky.

I've often heard this claim, and though I can see why it's made, it just plain doesn't make sense. WC3's film shoot was finished long before Armada... so there's no way they had actually *planned* for the character to be the 'WC1/2 Guy'.

(Closest possible name is 'Jacorski', who's referenced once in a Captain-ish style in Voices of War.)

Mmm, I just thought it might have been used it to justify the Scimitar's operational date, since it's listed as coming online later than the TCH lists it.

Is it? I'm not familiar with another, later date for the Scimitar. Inventing a whole new class of fighter just because we don't 'feel right' about a single reference in the TCH is going overboard, IMO.

It certainly would make sense. It would especially nicely reconcile the WC1 situation (lots of Scimitars all over the place) with what the TCH says about them (that most Scimitars, especially in frontline ops, have already been replaced by the Rapier I).

Well... we see two squadrons of Scimitars in Wing Commander (1), and within months they're removed from service entirely. It doesn't really seem like they're Confed's finest front line fighters as of 2654.

I'm not sure the movie stuff should actually be canon considering how different the ship designs are. Capships are not refit the way the Tiger's Claw would have to be to look the way it does. Ditto for the Concordia.

Well, the definition of canon is a whole nother can of worms - suffice it to say, it isn't really something *we* decide.

The movie 'style' isn't the first 'redo' of the Tiger's Claw... it has different designs in half a dozen different places (Super Wing Commander and Wing Commander Academy being the most drastic... but the ship isn't even consistent between the game sequences and the endgame cutscene of WC1!).

The Concordia in the movie, however, isn't the one in the games - the movie takes place seven years before the WC2 Concordia enters service.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also not consistent with the design of the 'original' Concordia from Action Stations either, which is a heavy carrier and deliberately tries to stay away from capships.

Moonsword said:
It's also not consistent with the design of the 'original' Concordia from Action Stations either, which is a heavy carrier and deliberately tries to stay away from capships.

It's not a carrier ... it doesn't even carry half a Connie's fighter complement. It's a supercruiser.

(And if you want to get technical, the original Connie is a "fleet carrier" :) ).

The Concordia in Action Stations was destroyed at the end of the book... so there's no reason to expect it to be the same ship.

(The ship in Action Stations was a Concordia-class carrier, like those seen in WC4. It's even described properly at one point (when Tolwyn mentions the white coat of paint)).

Back