A few recent trends

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
I think a combination of the two is important. I like cutscenes and stuff, but I also like alittle bit of in-game stuff too. Makes for a more intresting game.
I agree... from WC2 onwards, I liked this feature very much.

A few in-game memories:

WC2
-Shadow's and Spirit's deaths
-Jumping in for that courier ship, who gets blown apart by a Ralatha, but manages to eject a data pod.
-Meeting with Paladin
-Talking with Jazz before fighting him
-Talking with Major Edmond before the K'tithrak Mang's navpoint

WC3
-Chasing Kilrathi bioweapons in Locanda IV
-Talking to Hobbes after his treason

WC4
-Eisen's directives to locate the pirate ship (mission 2)
-Choosing whether or not to defect
-Meeting the Cats after a long while
-Choosing whether or not to save Catscratch

It was kinda cool to be able to make script decisions in-flight... :)

[Edited by mpanty on 06-10-2001 at 18:42]

I'm another one who has to agree that a combination is good. I mean, Tachyon and Starlancer were pretty good games, even if they based most of their story in-game. But without the cutscenes (Especially the ones in WC where you could choose what you would say) it adds less depth to your character. I was pretty mad when at the end of Prophecy, for-while it was a good ending, I was really attached to Blair because I'd been able to "mold" him as I thought he should be. You don't really get to do that too often in video games, which is a shame.

Originally posted by Skyfire
(...) I was really attached to Blair because I'd been able to "mold" him as I thought he should be. You don't really get to do that too often in video games, which is a shame.
Wha...? You do it all the time in RPG's... :)

Originally posted by Dak
To be honest, I'm not all that keen on games with actual story lines, with a couple of exceptions (WC obviously and point & clickers for instance).

But please, try to keep the story telling away from the actual game playing:D

You don't get these problems with Championship Manager;)

Wow, that's one of the most important things to me when I play a game. With the exception of alot of the micro-managment games. But a game like an RTS, FPS, space-sim, or even fighting, a good story can make or break a game. I mean hell, if WC didn't have such a damn good story I wouldn't like it very much. The actual gameplay in most of them is pretty repetitive. But because the games have such a good story, it keeps me wanting more.

And hell, games with no storyline ala SimCity and such, I make my OWN story for it.

Originally posted by mpanty
Originally posted by Skyfire
(...) I was really attached to Blair because I'd been able to "mold" him as I thought he should be. You don't really get to do that too often in video games, which is a shame.
Wha...? You do it all the time in RPG's... :)
Yeah but when do you ever play as the same character a second time besides Ultima?

11 games, 11 different storylines and characters. The Fallout series(two of em) have different characters. None of Squaresofts RPG's have the same characters in the sequel. In fact i dont think I've ever seen that besides in the Ultima games.

Then you obviously haven't played very many RPGs, now have you? :) Trust me, games like Final Fantasy are an exception to the rule. Take AD&D games, for example. These days, there's only one or two, but in the late 80s and early 90s, there were tens of 'em, and in each series, you practically always had the option of transferring a character from the previous game. Sometimes, transferring FOUR characters :).

Zelda has different Links! You play a guy named Link in everyone but in about every other game you switch to a different Link from another time period.

There are Ultima games where you play different people, too... the Runes of Virtues for Gameboy, for instance.

*g* POKE... Even many different characters just the gamephilosophy isn't my thing. But I now read an article about ten year-old kids whom should play Disney-games....because playing the other games, many people here are afraid they could become violent (nonsense).

I agree with you there, but I don't think that the mods/admins want us getting into THAT argument.... :)

That's not so bad...every RPG I play, I name my character Nep...

And every fighting type game or FPS game I play, I name my character Baron...

And every space/airflight sim game I play, my callsign is Baron...

I liked the option to transfer your characters. The only problem is, you have guys who have been playing for about 10 year and are way past the "obnoxiously powerful" stage...

Originally posted by Fishbone [/i]
*But I now read an article about ten year-old kids whom should play Disney-games....because playing the other games, many people here are afraid they could become violent (nonsense). [/QUOTE]

Have you heard about the lawsuits filed against Nintendo, Sega, Eidos and loads of others by the families of the victims of Columbine because apparently the killers liked playing Doom (ID isn't one of the companies mentioned though)

Originally posted by Nep Parth
I liked the option to transfer your characters. The only problem is, you have guys who have been playing for about 10 year and are way past the "obnoxiously powerful" stage...

I know what you're on about here, like my Bards Tale characters who played through the whole trilogy and some of them were level 1500+. What does that make them in the D&D world?

Back