A few recent trends

The multi-player campaigns are cooperative or one against another ???

And another thing... I just want to know if Tachyon:The Fringe is worth to buy. (graphics, ships,story)

[Edited by Ghost on 06-10-2001 at 00:06]

So you're saying I SHOULDN'T buy Starlancer? Damn...everyone keeps giving me contradictory answers!

As for Tachyon, well, it got solid reviews but I never played it so I would't know. That reminds me, there's an old Privateer-like game floating around called Ares Rising. Never got the chance to see it...

Ares Rising? Hmmm, tell me more...if you can that is.

I would REALLY like to see a game exactly like Privateer but based in the Star Trek Universe. I refer you to the old FASA board games. The Triangle supplement being a notable start.

I was basically a triangle of 120 systems wedged between Federation, Klingon and Romulan space. It has lots of opportunity to be turned into a Privateer style game.

Tachyon is a REALLY good game, besides the fact that it doesn't draw you into the story, but what game does that anymore? :)

Tachyon was okay... the problem with story-based games is that nobody is willing to spend money on them these days.

I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

So every software company should change their directions in order to please ME! :)

I can only speak from Germany: Most games, which are sold, are not story-based like Counter Strike for ex....I play it sometimes, but I really have to say there's no story behind it. But you're right...story-based games aren't 'in' at the moment. Maybe they'll be once again. Is it the same in the USA? Ego-Shooter and the like instead of a good plot?:(

well though, Nox had a story and I liked it, but I beat all of the branches too fast and now it's pointless for me to go back to it. Red Alert 2 is pretty nice also.

Red Alert...that was the game with the soldiers and atomic bombs, Russians invating the USA etc? In Ge. it is called another way so I am not sure...what you mean. Command and
Conquer: Red Alert 2? It really seemed quite well (didn't play it).

Next month a German company will publish a new game:
It has no cutscenes,but it has some aspects of
Wing Commander, Privateer, X-Wing Alliance and Homeworld. It is a mixture of them...it seems to have a good plot and you also fly your ship, but it can be a Civilian ship or a Military one. You can become miner,head-hunter, or found a squadron and earning money saving Civilian ships.. it's called Jumpgate. So you cannot say all is plot-less, but it doesn't seem to sell well then. It has its fans and they swear they spent 1000 or more hours in the cockpits. I'll look at it and make my own judge. But it won't be comparable with WC. That is clear.:)

Yep, you are right altough X-Wing alliance is a excellent game with a great story nothing compares with the inmesitive story of WC and her carachters.

I had the beta of Jumpgate for alittle while. I was actually pretty unimpressed with it. But I am a very picky sci-fi fan, so others may think it's very cool.

To be honest, I'm not all that keen on games with actual story lines, with a couple of exceptions (WC obviously and point & clickers for instance).

But please, try to keep the story telling away from the actual game playing:D

You don't get these problems with Championship Manager;)

Back