Wing Commander: Covert Missions (was: SM 1.5 (Working Title))

Humm, I just found where the Colonel called it a "secret mission" once a well. Since most of this is about the solo missions I still like Covert Mission.

Nice title change. ;)

After fixing the crashing bug I continued playtesting a little bit.
Flying the Dralthi works without problems :)

Is there a bug in the WC1XML binary?

No, I do not think so. These higher index values are present in the source SWC data.

As for the valid index values, well that depends. WC1 and WC1-SM1 have eight wingmen (index 0-7), but WC1-SM2 has additional "speaking" characters, Jazz and Doomsday, and additional indexes as well, 11 and 12.

These higher index values seem to match existing characters.

14 = 7 - Knight
15 = 3 - Bossman

I can't believe this hasn't had more attention.

Gentlemen this is amazing, and I'm glad you agreed with my suggestion about SM 1.5 DelMar :)

For many, if not most Wing Commander gamers, this is the chance to play a port of an official Wing Commander title for the very first time. How exciting is that? We're all desperate for new Wing Commander material, and to many people, that's exactly what this will be, and in the superior PC Wing Commander engine. Absolutely brilliant work.

No, I do not think so. These higher index values are present in the source SWC data.

As for the valid index values, well that depends. WC1 and WC1-SM1 have eight wingmen (index 0-7), but WC1-SM2 has additional "speaking" characters, Jazz and Doomsday, and additional indexes as well, 11 and 12.
Ok, I completely understand. Thanks for clarifying.

crashes during briefing after the line "nav 1" (skipping with esc works)
Hey, @UnnamedCharacter. Any idea why that could possibly crash?

Here's some data I gathered about the MapPoint.
Code:
      <MapPoint Format="0" TargetIndex="2">Proceed to Nav 1</MapPoint>
      <MapPoint Format="0" TargetIndex="3">Proceed to Nav 2</MapPoint>
      <MapPoint Format="4" TargetIndex="17">Destroy Fralthi</MapPoint>
      <MapPoint Format="1" TargetIndex="0">Return to Tiger's Claw</MapPoint>

TargetIndex 17 of the Fralthi refers to this ShipPoint:
Code:
<ShipPoint ClassIndex="18" Allegiance="1" LeadShipIndex="-1" OrdersIndex="2" Location="0,0,0" Orientation="45,0,0" Speed="10" Size="0" PilotCharacteristicsIndex="1" FormationIndex="-1" FormationPositionNumber="0" PrimaryTargetShipIndex="1" SecondaryTargetShipIndex="-1" Unknown1="0" Unknown2="0" Unknown3="3" Unknown4="0" Unknown5="0" Unknown6="0" />

btw: do you know why the first 4 entries in all the sections contain just crap data? Or is the data actually really used somewhere?

Another finding:
The broken briefing in Halcyon's office is really very likely to be caused by how the engine loads graphics. According to the game data files, those briefings refer to the same images as the "regular" cutscenes in Halcyon's office do. The engine just does not load them because at this point in the game they are not expected to be required. We won't be able to solve this by just manipulating data files. The game executable requires some love here.

My first gameplay feedback: Everything's working fine. I've noticed the Kilrathi don't seem as aggressive in combat, like they're shooting less. It could just be in my mind.

this is amazing im glad I can convert it back and forth between secret mission 2 and secret mission 1.5, can you still transfer your pilot to 1.5 and which order should I play them in, does it go secret mission 2 than secret mission 1.5, or does secret mission 1.5 actually replace sm2 as far as the storyline goes.

I've noticed the Kilrathi don't seem as aggressive in combat
Well, still good enough to seriously kick my ass :)

or does secret mission 1.5 actually replace sm2 as far as the storyline goes
Yes, SM 1.5 replaces SM 2. Quite some parts of the storyline are actually taking place in both of them (Bossman dying, Spirit's fiance being captured by the Kilrathi).
SM 1.5 mainly lacks the Firekka, but adds references to Tolwyn for example.

@delMar

For the data you quoted, I do not see anything out of the ordinary. But if you look at two entries past the Fralthi ShipPoint entry, there is a ShipPoint with a ClassIndex of 51, that is way outside the expected range; for the PC, I have not seen anything beyond 23. Maybe that is causing the problem.

Yes these four entries are important. In MODULE only, the first four entries for each block, except the last where it is the first entry only, they represent the four training simulator missions.

As for the briefing in Halcyon's office, that is unfortunate because it is a valid sequence, just in the wrong context. Maybe the sequence can be modified to use an "empty" briefing room instead.

Well, still good enough to seriously kick my ass :)

Yes, SM 1.5 replaces SM 2. Quite some parts of the storyline are actually taking place in both of them (Bossman dying, Spirit's fiance being captured by the Kilrathi).
SM 1.5 mainly lacks the Firekka, but adds references to Tolwyn for example.
thank you my good man can you transfer your pilot from secret mission 1. im on the last mission of wc1 again and I would like to play through 1.5 as an alternate universe/timeline and keep my rank and medals. if its not possible than no problem but it would be nice. by the way play tested the first mission worked like a charm, I got 12 and hunter got 3

thank you my good man can you transfer your pilot from secret mission 1. im on the last mission of wc1 again and I would like to play through 1.5 as an alternate universe/timeline and keep my rank and medals. if its not possible than no problem but it would be nice. by the way play tested the first mission worked like a charm, I got 12 and hunter got 3

I used this tool: WCSAV instead of the transfer utility. You can use it to edit your killscore and medals, to set them to just how they were at the end of SM1.

Place it in the GAMEDAT folder and use DOSBox to run it.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the story perspective it would probably be coolest if SM 1.5 could be integrated into SM 2 to form a SM2.5 that starts with hunting the sivar shipyards and ends with the firekka. But that would probably be far to compicated to achieve.

From the story perspective it would probably be coolest if SM 1.5 could be integrated into SM 2 to form a SM2.5 that starts with hunting the sivar shipyards and ends with the firekka. But that would probably be far to compicated to achieve.
Nice one, I thought about too already. But I guess we should just stick to get something "done done".
After that, we can always go on and make one "SM 1.5" release for those who want to play the original SWC campaign and some "SM 2.5" release for what you suggested.

Reactions: cff
Back