Where did Bandit get the Vesuvius Specs?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

This rule would make no sense in the face of the numerous things created by the Kilrathi first -- particle cannons, the phase transit cannon, torpedoes, cloaking devices, etc.

Just a question to refresh my knowledge, but didn't the Kilrathi get their cloaking device technology from the Utari?

Originally posted by BlueClaw

Just a question to refresh my knowledge, but didn't the Kilrathi get their cloaking device technology from the Utari?

You're thinking of jump drive technology.

This rule would make no sense in the face of the numerous things created by the Kilrathi first -- particle cannons, the phase transit cannon, torpedoes, cloaking devices, etc.

Not arguing that the Kilrathi didn't come up with the torpedo first (since I read it in I believe it was Action Stations) but doesn't one of the manuals we're given (Victory Streak, or something) have the story the other way around? That we invented the torpedo and the Kilrathi soon copied it?

oops, just found it. Confed invented the "phase shield" penetrating torpedo, not the original one.

C-ya

Yup, the cats invented the *first* torpedo. Confed was the first to build one that could penetrate the WC2 style phase shields.

Originally posted by Concordia

Is there anything to say that the Sivar's main gun is the same thing as the PTC? It was mentioned that it was captured of a Kilrathi Dreadnought; but that may not have been the ONLY Kilrathi-Dreadnought in existance (maybe there was a different class that was also a dreadnought).

The Kilrathi weapon was called a Proton Superaccelerator, it was also referred to as a Graviton Gun. In both cases, the gun did bypass the shields of the planet... but the damage was not caused predominantly by the impact. In fact the impact produced a small explosion followed by the planet's gravitational field going up 137 fold. Everything just got crushed.

And when did the PTC hit a fighter?

Joan's gives enough information to recognize that the PTC is based off of the salvaged main weapon of the Sivar, which was wrecked by Blair in SM1. It also makes it clear that the PTC isn't the same weapon, but is a refinement of it.
And the PTC hits fighters in Special Ops 1. IIRC, the first time you face Gothri fighters, there is also one or two Kilrathi cap ships present. When I played this mission, after the Concordia destroyed the Kilrathi cap ships, it turned its PTC on the Gothris, and started taking those out. I was quite shocked when I realized what was happening.
As I said, its used against fighters, although I'm a little dubious about the "realism".

Originally posted by junior
As I said, its used against fighters, although I'm a little dubious about the "realism".
LOL. Sorry I have to laugh at that. It's all fictional anyway.

oops at my use of "disentegrate" i DID NOT mean that :D sorry i said it hehe, as for not being able to destroy matter. matter is merely a FORM of energy, so whilst energy cannot be destroyed MATTER CAN, simplyy by combining its anti-matter with it there is no other way of destroying matter other than in this process, hence my original question HOW do you destroy matter without anti-matter!?

Originally posted by junior
...after the Concordia destroyed the Kilrathi cap ships, it turned its PTC on the Gothris, and started taking those out.
I've never seen that before, I would have liked to, though. I've only ever seen the PTC being fired on capships (and never missing either).

Originally posted by Wedge009
I've never seen that before, I would have liked to, though. I've only ever seen the PTC being fired on capships (and never missing either).

Correct me if I'm wrong but we never see the PTC fired in a game sequence. I think the only time we see it fired is the cut scene where Tolwyn orders Angel to fire it even though it might blow them to smithereens. I thought the only thing we get to see fired while gaming is teh Concordias impressive arrays of AMG's. These shoot those little blue-white balls of energy at capships and at fighters. IF one hits a Kilrathi, they are usually as good as dead (even by their own hand. I'm usually a skin the fighter cover off before a torpedo run kindof guy, but thee is one mission where you're in a Sabre and have to fight about 3 or 4 waves of Medium-heavy fighters and take out 2 capships in WC2, SM1, or SM2. On that mission it's a thank god for afterburners mission and if the Kilrathi fighters follow you, more often than not they get hit by their own capships AMG bolts. Kitties making kitty litter, almost as funny as seeng 2 fighters hit each other at teh beginning of an engagement :) )

I'm sure someone will call me down if I'm wrong about the PTC/AMG usage.

C-ya

The PTC does, indeed, fire in-game... it looks like a big PTC round.

I assume you mean "big AMG round". Ok, my mistake :)

IIRC it even had a special in-game sound when fired... some kind of wheeeaaaaiiiiimmmm

:) lol How's that go again Pete? lol

C-ya

Err, actually, I meant big *particle cannon* round. :) (The AMGs look like big neutron gun rounds, the PTC looks like a big particle cannon...)

Err, actually, I meant big *particle cannon* round. :) (The AMGs look like big neutron gun rounds, the PTC looks like a big particle cannon...)

Oops, my mistake. :)

C-ya

AFAIK, all the sound effects in the original (DOS) version of WC1/2 used FM, ie MIDI. The KS version would probably have wave sound FX.

Back