What do you think of Mark Hamill's acting?

What do you think of Mark Hamills acting?

• First rate, he can handle any role

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Hes good in certain roles

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • He was only any good as Blair

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • He was only any good as Skywalker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He was only any good as Blair and Skywalker

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Average actor

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I think he only belongs in day time TV soaps

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Pedro

Admiral
What do you think of Mark Hamills acting?

This came up in another thread I thought it would be intresting to see the popular opinion, maybe its been done before, who knows but lets see :)

I think it largely depends on who is directing him, not to mention the quality of the script. He was awesome as Blair. He wasn't to bad as Luke Skywalker either.
However after I saw Corvette Summer I was ready to light him on fire and put him out with a sledge hammer, then WC4 came out and I was happy again9 I know CS is an old film;)
Chris Roberts is a great director, and the writing in WC4 was first rate. I think Mark Hamill is the perfect Blair, a haunted veteran who's still able to be heroic.

Oh and just a recommendation to the other WC fans out there. Go out and rent Sliptstream. Mark isn't up to his WC best, but it's still a pretty cool show. Sort of a flying Mad Max film.:p

Shaggy I totally agree, but god imagine if they'd gone ahead and cast Blair as Maniac! :p Not his role at all I'd have to say.

That'd be almost as insane as the idea they originally had to cast Schwazengger as the good guy in Terminator and that comparativley weedy guy as the machine! :p

I´ve seen "other" movies with Hamill and he did not do well. I think he was really good in Star Wars and Wing Commander, though.

One think I do not think he does well is the way he acts when he is supposed to look "surprised", like when, in WC3, Tolwyn tells him to defend the Behemoth and that it will be the most important mission of his life. It happened again when, in WC4, Paulsen tells him that Maniac and Eisen have defected. He tried to act like he was "surprised" but he failed miserably... it did not look real.

Hi,

I think he is good in certain roles.

However, I think he is better (or more experienced) at the voice roles that he does. He seems to put far more effort into some roles than others - but he is a far better actor than I'll ever be.:)

Cheers

I've seen Hamill in Star Wars, in Wing Commander, in Hamilton, in... in... Uh... In something more, and my pretty limited expertise says that he's capable of many different acts. Not that I've seen every movie he's been in or anything, but I know he doesn't suck... At least, he didn't.

As much as I love Hamill, I can't say that'd be's one of the best actors I've ever seen. Seems a bit too reserved in his roles, but still, he can adapt his voice to cover any range of things. While his physical features may not show it off, he can at least hold the air of whatever emotion he wants. All in all, he's a pretty good actor, but I can't throw him up there with some of the other actors out there.

I'd have to say that he's good in certain roles, and I agree with your opinions. The most recent thing I saw him in was in an episode of 'Just Shoot Me', where David Spade's character, Finch, saw Hamill at a restaurant. He followed him everywhere and couldn't stop talking about SW. To Finch's surprise, Hamill then followed HIM around and did the same thing, which finally drove Finch insane. It was hilarious!

I love how in some of the TV show cameos Mark does, they make a bit of fun about how he was in Star Wars. At least that's the impression that I get - I too have not seen him much outside of SW and WC.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
That's not acting, Pedro. It was the move of a true master!
Hee hee! :D

Originally posted by panther
but he is a far better actor than I'll ever be.
Good point, that goes double for me.

One bit about Blair that amuses me, though, is the 'thoughtful mode' Hamill does, eg on the shuttle taking him to the Victory, after watching the news brief.

yea I thought he was the ideal man for the job considering the coincidence of him being the chosen one on Star Wars but he'll always be the heart of the tiger in my book
I still think he could have been more surprised in the scene on WC3 when he finds out that Hobbes is the traitor, because he flew with the cat for years

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

I think that scene was okay, whichever choice you made. He was either so enraged or so stunned to find his judgment was wrong all along.

I found that on the whole, Hamill's 'underacting' seemed to fit Blair quite well. He would have made a really lousy WC1 Blair, but WC2 and onwards, he's perfect.

...Except for the hair. His hair is clearly the wrong colour for this role :p.

A good example of Mark Hamill's voice acting is Adrian Ripburger from the computer game Full Throttle. Real sinister.

Hi,

If you have a dirty mind, check out IMDB.

It lists him as playing Flint in an episode of Buzz Lightyear. - I know I picked Flint, but iin the books he picked Rachel didn't he?

Cheers

Originally posted by Battler Hawke

he was a good JOKER;)

I think that was Jack Nicholson :D Hamill played a guy named the Trickster in one episode of the TV series 'The Flash' (based on the DC comic).

Aside from SW and WC, the only stuff I've seen him in is 'Mutronics', which is a fairly bad movie based on the anime comic Guyver, and doing the voice for Threshold in the Gen13 animated movie based on the comic of the same name.

Personally I think he comes across as fairly standoffish on the screen, in terms of facial expressions. However his voice REALLY gets the emotion across - Threshold sounded like one sick puppy (which he was.) As Penguin pointed out, Hamill can do a REALLY sinister voice without going over the top. ANyway that's my 5 cents worth (inflation, ya know:p )

Back