Weapons of the marines/army

Aplha 1-1 said:
Heres one the thread seems to have skipped over...

More to the point would be that probably most people assumed that we were talking about guns... side arms or any weapon that could be carried by a marine.

As far as the tanks are concerned there's only one kind of tank shown in the FMV scene for Circe used by both confed and the Border worlds. In the Actual mission, IIRC there are actually three tank variants. Theres the BW ground tank, a Confed hover tank and a missile tank.

AD said:
In the Actual mission, IIRC there are actually three tank variants. Theres the BW ground tank, a Confed hover tank and a missile tank.
I don't remember if they had any insignia painted on them, but going by the storyline alone, I'd have to say all the tanks were BW - according to Wilford, we weren't fighting against Confed, but intervening in a Confed-inspired civil war.

Quarto said:
I don't remember if they had any insignia painted on them, but going by the storyline alone, I'd have to say all the tanks were BW - according to Wilford, we weren't fighting against Confed, but intervening in a Confed-inspired civil war.

Um.. yeah sorry. They were a faction of mercs thought to be backed by elements within confed... (just checked the vids...) And no there arent any insignia visible in the video, but the two sides are clearly using the same tanks in the FMV.

IIRC there are actually three tank variants.
Been a while then hasn't it. Never really noticed the first time around either, guess I didn't wait till the target filled my screen before opening up on the poor bastards.

the wcm rifle look like nothing more than a bolter from warhammer 40k with a prologned barrel.

as for the wc fps, i remember a discussion about the possibilities of a battlefront2 mod. i mean they've got starships, fighters, etc...
if we could get people for this it might actually be worth a look.

oh, one more. the black lance rifle looks very much like the one on the second book cover, with the blades added to the muzzle

AD said:
Um.. yeah sorry. They were a faction of mercs thought to be backed by elements within confed... (just checked the vids...) And no there arent any insignia visible in the video, but the two sides are clearly using the same tanks in the FMV.
Hehe, and it just occured to me that you were right in the first place... in a way. These are Confed tanks, simply because at this point in time, the BW hasn't yet had enough time to produce any equipment on its own. So, all the tanks would presumably be ex-Confed junk.

Dahan said:
Im a bit hazy about the weaponary used in the WC universer, but when did they used energy based weaponary to the customary ballistics based weapons??

Its been my uninformed observation that they have used them both interchangeably or in parallel to each other. For example I believe in WCP Dekker uses a 9m variant rifle while in other games and time periods we see energy based weapons. I would assume that both energy and ballistic based weapons are roughly equal in effectiveness and is something an individual or weapons master decides to use. I suppose an alternate explanation is that the 9mm was more effective against the bugs than it would be against Kilrathi.

Confed, UBW, Kilrathi, all used and continue to use ballistic weaponry otherwise there wouldnt be any Mass Drivers now would there?

Yeah figures, because I looked through the games and the movie and I would agree that they would use both ballistics and energy based, depending on the mission assignments they are assigned to.
I remember the end scence in Prophecy Blair picked up what looked like a ballistic - type rifle so I would assume they still use it, whereas in Wing Commander 4 when Vagabond died he used an energy base weapon, speaking of which, anyone have any information where did Vagabond did covert ops??

Aplha 1-1 said:
Confed, UBW, Kilrathi, all used and continue to use ballistic weaponry otherwise there wouldnt be any Mass Drivers now would there?
Mass drivers are tricky. Yes, you'd figure that they're projectile-based weapons. Yes, that's the conclusion we're led to when we read their description.

...Except they can never run out of ammo :p.

Dahan said:
I remember the end scence in Prophecy Blair picked up what looked like a ballistic - type rifle so I would assume they still use it...
Here:

Attachments

• prophecy pistol.jpg
    prophecy pistol.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 207
  • prophecy rifle 3.jpg
    prophecy rifle 3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 451
Mass drivers are tricky. Yes, you'd figure that they're projectile-based weapons. Yes, that's the conclusion we're led to when we read their description.

...Except they can never run out of ammo .

On the subject of the [Charging] Mass Driver, the Prophecy Guide says: "The Mass Driver uses energy as its ammo supply, so it is virtually unlimited. WHen the pilot holds down the trigger, the driver essentially knits together the raw material on a molecular level and supercharges it with kinetic energy."

... from the makers of the Sonic Accelerator Gun.

there's still the stormfires

Ah, the Stormfire. From interesting backstory (Wing Commander IV) to funny excuse to include them (Wing Commander Prophecy) to over-blown entire-game and physics model based around how everyone loves machine guns in space (StarLancer). It's really a model for the essentially problem with the space sim genre as a whole.

(... did somebody say nobody likes cockpits? Nobody make a game with cockpits!)

Im a bit hazy about the weaponary used in the WC universer, but when did they used energy based weaponary to the customary ballistics based weapons??

The claim has been at various points has been that ballistic weapons are prefered for fighting on a ship (because the rounds cause less damage to the surroundings and pose less of a risk of decompression), while energy weapons are prefered for ground combat where collatoral damage is less of a worry.

(... now, I'm sure this has been contradicted in *practice* many times, but that's supposedly the military doctrine in Wing Commander.)

Hehe, and it just occured to me that you were right in the first place... in a way. These are Confed tanks, simply because at this point in time, the BW hasn't yet had enough time to produce any equipment on its own. So, all the tanks would presumably be ex-Confed junk.

I've always wondered if Wing Commander IV's mercenary tank squadron was lifted straight from Hammer's Slammers...

Bandit LOAF said:
The claim has been at various points has been that ballistic weapons are prefered for fighting on a ship (because the rounds cause less damage to the surroundings and pose less of a risk of decompression), while energy weapons are prefered for ground combat where collatoral damage is less of a worry.

(... now, I'm sure this has been contradicted in *practice* many times, but that's supposedly the military doctrine in Wing Commander.)

"Behind my captain’s advancing bulk I was able to draw my gun, an old-fashioned laser that worked well on flesh without damaging a bulkhead." (Privateer manual, p. 30)

Death said:
"Behind my captain’s advancing bulk I was able to draw my gun, an old-fashioned laser that worked well on flesh without damaging a bulkhead." (Privateer manual, p. 30)

Wasn't he a civvie? :D Still, they did specify the mag-pulse rifles were used in False Colors due to their ability to punch through flesh without blowing holes in bulkheads or equipment, and if we drag 'real life' into things, we have such things as Glaser or other frangible rounds which splatter on really hard surfaces without doing (too) much damage to walls. Of course, that's the Landreich's military doctrine... which may not be the same as what Confed follows. Remember that we do see them using energy weapons in WC4 as well during Vagabond's Last Stand in the Orestes Comm Station.

I suppose it all depends on the delivery of the energy as much as damage depends on the type of rounds used now (and presumably 2650's - 2680's :p ). We see laser and neutron bolts bunch holes through the armour of enemy fighters yet also see energy blasts that spread upon impact - Vagabonds death scene the perfect example. And I'm sure that as long as it doesnt punch a hole in the bulkhead of a vessel then weapons doctrine would consist of 'whatever you got we'll take it'

On a side note, ever wondered why it takes forever to shoot your way through the hull of a destroyer or even a corvette with a fighter-sized laser, but boarding parties are worried about punching though the hull with handheld munitions?

Aplha 1-1 said:
On a side note, ever wondered why it takes forever to shoot your way through the hull of a destroyer or even a corvette with a fighter-sized laser, but boarding parties are worried about punching though the hull with handheld munitions?
Well, nobody ever said that the armour itself forms the hull, or that it is pressurised. For all we know, it may be possible to create an air leak by puncturing the hull from the inside without the armour being affected. Don't ask me why this would be the case - but if people are worried about punching through the hull with handheld munitions, then presumably they have reasons to be worried :).

Crowley said:
Say, wasn't there once upon a time at least the beginnings of a fan-made Wing Commander FPS?

I made a couple of Wing Commander themed levels for Jedi Knight like six years ago, hope this helps!

Seriously though, I remember there being concept art of different weapons somewhere on the CIC fan projects page.

Vinman said:
Seriously though, I remember there being concept art of different weapons somewhere on the CIC fan projects page.
There was no less than two FPS fan projects (IIRC, both were called WC Marines), as well as several smaller projects aimed at simply producing one level or something along those lines. None of these projects ever came to fruition, however - it seems as though WC FPS projects are cursed :p.

Back