We Need You! (April 23, 2008)

just a thought: Can someone provide some tapes from the same era with useless data on them to practice on?

I do have some comments and suggestions, but I think the last few posts highlight another issue that needs to be addressed. Things have gotten to the point where LOAF and other folks are asking a number of technical and non-technical questions that span a wide range of issues. This is really a long term effort on the part of the CIC staff and a considerable number of volunteers, and I think a single thread is no longer sufficient. Have you given any thought to creating a sub-forum for this project or perhaps coming up with some other means to facilitate the discussion of these issues? If you had a sub-forum, you could, for example, create sticky threads where you might enumerate and update the hardware list you plan to take to the archive site, deal with manpower issues, etc. I think that a lot of good information was discussed in #Wingnut last night, but chat room discussions are too ephemeral and too private in a situation like this where you are trying to pull together expertise and resources from so many quarters.

Sure, that's a good idea - Kris, can you set one up real fast?

The folks who have signed up to go have been putting together a project bible via email, we could transfer that to the forums pretty easily.

Is there nobody else on that coast willing to take a few days out of their lives for a project this monumental? C'mon guys, lets see some love and dedication here!

FYI, I submitted a story about this at Slashdot and linked back to this forum, so hopefully the wider audience might add a few more people for the team.

PS Not looking for thanks, just letting ya'll know.

I'm so sorry to be the thread necromancer, but even after 11 years I'm still curious if something came out of the relicts from the past

This thread predates the Mythic trip, so we were able to digitize some of the exotic formats when we actually went down.

At the time we catalogued the trip here: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2008/08/11/mythic-briefing

And we've parsed out some of the material over the years, much of which is in our document archive: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2016/08/14/document-archive-revamp-continues

Back