WC Kilrathi Saga

My understanding is that, back then, there was no standard for video compression, so they were basically making it up as they went along. The grainy trails left behind by movement and the unrealistically static backgrounds were no doubt artefacts of this compression - by the time of WC4 (CD version, of course), you could see that the quality of the video compression had improved dramatically.

It's also why they went back to the masters and redid the compression for WC3 for the 3DO and PSX. I'm not sure the video is higher resolution but there's none of those "sticky pixels" and artifacting that plagues the PC version. Oh. and there's also full color comm videos in the VDU inflight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of. We've been saying that for a while now though, and DOSBox has gotten better at optimizing these things, so quite a few people should have computers fast enough to run it.

The forum alignment is also at http://www.crius.net/zone/faq.php?&faq=cicfaq#faq_cic_ranks

Corvus Corax/DocScorpio

Well, this is embarassing. :eek: I've just discovered I've been registered on these forums for many years under the DocScorpio user-name. It's been a while since I was interested in the WC series and I simply forgot I was registered here and re-registered a few months ago under the Corvus Corax user-name (using my other email address). Guess I'll use the original registration henceforth.

As for the ranks: In this case, I was looking specifically for the ranks badges themselves. Never could figure out the system when I originally played WC3. :)

:( it appears that the Kilrathi Saga hasn't got the add ons!! I was so hoping to finally play Cruesades!

Secret Missions and Special Ops are a free download for Kilrathi Saga and have always been. Check out the CIC's files section.

How the &%$# is it that a computer that is ONE HUNDRED times as fast as the ones that the original WC1/WC2 were designed to run on still isn't fast enough to run it on an emulator?

because dos doesn't work in windows.. just like windows doesn't work in dos

More specifically it has to do with the way windows talks to your hardware, and that DOS wants to try to talk to your hardware directly, but can't becauses a) windows is already doing that and b) DOS doesn't recognize all that newfangles USB and AGB, and PCI express stuff they put in computers theses days, not to mention multicore and 64 bit processors.

DOSBox requires a lot of power because it has to emulate an entire computer system (processor, graphics and sound card, modem, etc).

DOSBox requires a lot of power because it has to emulate an entire computer system (processor, graphics and sound card, modem, etc).

So basically you're downloading an older computer into your more advanced computer? ... I think I'll stick w/ the windows version...:p

So basically you're downloading an older computer into your more advanced computer? ... I think I'll stick w/ the windows version...:p

Kilrathi saga has so many bugs though that dosbox is often easier to get running properly and the end result is often better too

They have the right idea with DOSBox, emulating the entire environment is the only way to get the old software working right with modern operating systems and hardware. It might be a while before everyone has a computer that is fast enough to run DOS games from 1995 and after.

Back