WC Kilrathi Saga

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Huzzah!!! I may have just secured myself a copy of WC the Kilrathi Saga, but before I seal the deal... I would like to know something: Will this game actually work on Windows? Also, I'm getting it for >$100 but aparently the 1st disk is scratched and won't read. Do I need all of the disks to play each of the games? Or is it more like WC1 is on one disk and WC2 is on another??

Do not buy Kilrathi Saga without the first disc. It contains WC1 and 2, which are the reason for owning the package in the first place - if you just want WC3, copies of the DOS version are readily available (and easier to run on a modern system).

Do not buy Kilrathi Saga without the first disc. It contains WC1 and 2, which are the reason for owning the package in the first place - if you just want WC3, copies of the DOS version are readily available (and easier to run on a modern system).

Gotcha, find a better offer 1,000 thanks for the heads up. So if I find a better one, will it work w/o DOS? Like on something say Win 98?

It won't work *with* DOS - Kilrathi Saga is a Win9x port of the games. Honestly, you're probably better off finding the original games and running them in DOSBox... it'll be a lot cheaper and easier.

Kilrathi Saga does have a great manual, though...

It won't work *with* DOS - Kilrathi Saga is a Win9x port of the games. Honestly, you're probably better off finding the original games and running them in DOSBox... it'll be a lot cheaper and easier.

Kilrathi Saga does have a great manual, though...

It's still very nice to have, I didn't care for the new sound effects or being forced to have digital voice activated, but I loved the updated music, and it was a lot easier to get running back in the late 90s when DOSBox wasn't available and computers were too fast to run them.

I've also had joystick trouble with DOSBox, but never had any issues with Kilrathi Saga. Probably not worth it, but it is a really cool package.

I'll second that. I'm just now replaying the WC series (currently at the start of WC2 SO2). I own Kilrathi Saga and it was my intention to use it to play the first three games. However, I discovered that trying to play KS under XP is a great pain in the tail. WC works OK, WC2 ran, but with horrible sound glitches, WC3 would not run at all. I tried every fix in the CIC tech support thread on KS WC3, but it was no go (some peeps can get it to run and some simply can't).

Back in Win98SE days and before the latest versions of DosBox, KS was a hot item because it was a sure way to run the first three WC games (and also WC4 with the Win95 patch), but these days you're taking a real gamble to lay out bucks for KS....if you hope to actually play it. If I'm not mistaken, the going price for KS has dropped considerably in the last couple of years probably for this very reason.

I installed my original DOS versions of WC, WC2, and WC3 and am using DosBox v .73 to play them. They all three run great. Also, it's probably more purist to play the original DOS games, rather than the KS versions. The KS WC improvements include the music and the addition of some features from later WC games (i.e., instant max acceleration and a cockpit toggle). OTOH, KS omits the feature that allows you to play any WC mission series at will. By all means use DosBox and play the original DOS versions.

It's still very nice to have, I didn't care for the new sound effects or being forced to have digital voice activated, but I loved the updated music, and it was a lot easier to get running back in the late 90s when DOSBox wasn't available and computers were too fast to run them.

I've also had joystick trouble with DOSBox, but never had any issues with Kilrathi Saga. Probably not worth it, but it is a really cool package.

Yeah, I've tried Dosbox, and honestly, I have too many problems getting it to work, so I thought I'd try something else. Hey btw, are the graphics at all updated? Like for example, are the graphics for WC1 the updated one like on the sega cd?

Say, aren't there a few minor gameplay changes as well in the KS version? Like Hell's Kitchen 1 being winnable in WC1 and a bugfix involving a certain Kilrathi prince in WC3?

AFAIK, it has always been possible to complete the first Hell's Kitchen mission successfully. Not sure what the problem was with Thrakhath in WC3.

I believe he is referring to the bug that could happen following the destruction of the Behemoth? It was possible to kill Thrakhath and make it back to the Victory, but then he would show up later, which wouldn't have made sense if you'd killed him after Loki.

Dundradal : Yep. ;)

Wedge : It is impossible to save the Drayman in Hell's Kitchen 1 in my old DOS copy of WC1 (the Drayman's death seems to be scripted and you can't save it even if you cheat), and I'm definetely not the only one who's had this problem. In fact, I believe I mentioned this before.

EDIT : Look here : http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=20416

Bandit LOAF said:
I believe this always happens in the original game. I'm not sure whether or not its a bug or if it's intentional... the intention may have been to show that you're in the losing system -- but at the same time, some later ports of the game change it so you can save the ship.

Oh well. It's been many years since I've played WC1.

As for Thrakhath, I'd call that short-sightedness rather than a bug, but I see your point.

I started replaying WC3 via DosBox .71 yesterday. When I do the CPU test, I get "Very Fast CPU (Excellent)." I'm running it on a P4 3.4 gig dual core, 2 gigs RAM, GF6800GT, Audigy 2, XP from images on a virtual drive.

The game runs perfectly except for a minor sound glitch. The sound skips a beat every few seconds.....annoying but not game-killing. Maybe I need to change the sound settings a bit.

The movies look downright awful by today's standards (and they looked so good back in '94 :) From the receipt in the can, I pre-ordered the Premiere Edition on 14Nov 94 and the game shipped on 8 Dec. Funny, I thought it was a '95 release).

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for the game so I can use some of its buttons. I used the mouse to replay WC and WC2 (just too lazy to reach behind my FPD and grab my stick), but I think I'm going to need a stick for WC3.

~~~, the movies in WC3 look a little funny to the modern eye at first but you get used to them quickly. Back when the movie Sin City came out and everyone was raving about how it was the first movie to be completely "CGI backgrounds with live action actors" I would just say "Pfft, WC3 did that ten years ago."

My understanding is that, back then, there was no standard for video compression, so they were basically making it up as they went along. The grainy trails left behind by movement and the unrealistically static backgrounds were no doubt artefacts of this compression - by the time of WC4 (CD version, of course), you could see that the quality of the video compression had improved dramatically.

It's also worth noting that monitors were smaller in 1994 - 13" and 14" screens were the standard.

It's also worth noting that monitors were smaller in 1994 - 13" and 14" screens were the standard.

I played it on a 15" CRT the first time, but, you're right, 14" was pretty much the standard for pc bundlers then.

I'm well into WC3 now. Once I got past Orsini 4 things started to go pretty fast (God! I hate skipper missiles). Hey, I'd completely forgotten that Josh Lucas played "Flash."

One thing that impresses me is what a quantum leap forward WC3 is compared to WC2. In those days, three years made lots of difference when it came to pc technology. There were some real changes, i.e., the Pentium chip and the CD ROM drive, to name a couple. I had a Pentium 90 on order when I got WC3. So I played it for about a week on my old 486 till the Pentium arrived. It chugged on the 486 (which was still a pretty powerful pc, in terms of speed and RAM, at the time), but ran smooth as glass on the Pentium.

I notice that these forums use the WC3 ConFed rank insignia to denote seniority. Is there some place on CIC that shows all these rank badges. So far, I haven't been able to find it. Thanks.

Back