Tom Dan vs Lance Casey

TheFraix

Vice Admiral
Just an interesting idea about the earlier draft of the Prophecy storyline.

In my humble opinion, Dane's character and story would sure have an added complexity and a bit more somber than the established Prophecy story.

Any comments here?

I agree. This Tom Dane character sounds more intersting (to me) than Casey (not that he's a bad character - Mr. Dane just seems to have a more complex background). It would have been intersting if it was revealed towards the end of Prophecy (the "Dane" version) that Cadet Dane's real father was Iceman.

Just a thought.

Ehhh... there seems to be a lot of implications of Blair ultimately being Dane's father....

So I'm kinda' glad they went with the craptacular Casey.

I'm pretty sure thats not the secret that Blair gives him a hard time about, think more along the lines of WC4 :)
I like Casey's story, gives him a big chip on his shoulder and something to prove. The original storyline? Pretty much the only thing that changed was the fact that Blair took Maestros place in being captured by the Nephilim (and of course Maestro biting the big one). Maybe the fact that Blair was the head of the Academy would have been a better "father figure"-type scenario and would have better justified how much his capture bothered Lance. Other than that I like Prophecy the way it is.

C-ya

I too think Dane would have been a much more interesting character than Casey turned out to be. In fact, I think the original story for Wing Commander V had much more promise than what it eventually became.

The only thing I don't like is the guy's name. Tom Dane? I mean, sure, Lance Casey isn't that great either, but...

Col.Dom said:
... Dane's a product of the GE programme :confused:

That was the original idea, yeah. It seems dangerously cheesy in the wrong hands, but it could have been good if pulled off right - help bridge the gap between WCP and the rest of the series a bit better. The whole "new beginning" concept with Prophecy kind of turned me off, and its link with previous games seemed to rely too heavily on subtly spin-doctoring old characters; at least in WingIII you're still fighting the kat war.

Yes, the "revelation" at the end of the script is that Dane is an abandoned GE experiment. Personally, I think that sounds pretty fanficcy... but I *do* like the original idea of having Maestro tortured to legitimize the war for Casey.

(I *like* Casey's background in WCP... but 'Lance' is the worst name ever...)

I like Casey's background fine, I just think the way he turned out in the actual game was kinda meh. Maybe it was just the actor; I dunno. I agree with you about the torturing of Maestro, and I think it would have made the war that much more meaningful to Casey if his best friend also ended up dying at the end, as the original story synopsis said.

I do prefer the "son of Iceman" concept over the "abandoned GE experiment" one, though, that's for sure. Still not a big fan of "Lance;" couldn't they have come up with a better name? What does the R. (his middle initial) stand for?

Bandit LOAF said:
. . .Maestro tortured to legitimize the war for Casey. ..
Good point, Blair's capture didn't quite pull it off do to a lack of development of a father/mentor-son/student bond. Maestro being tortured and then living would have been a good plot device for later games.

C-ya

Bandit LOAF said:
Yes, the "revelation" at the end of the script is that Dane is an abandoned GE experiment. Personally, I think that sounds pretty fanficcy...

HAHA! I thought the same exact thing!

... but 'Lance' is the worst name ever...

'Lance' was the pilot of the red lion in Voltron, though :(

'Lance' is a type of torpedo and a class of fighter in WC... and in both of *those* cases it's a good fit.

Yeah, it'd be much better if he were named Iggy or something instead of one of the few names people can share with weaponry. Iggy is much more manly and cool.

Come on, Lance is just a really lame name. I mean, Tom isn't that great either (too common and thus boring), but Lance sounds more like a prissy rich civilian boy's name than a gung ho fighter pilot's name...

Well just out of sheer, unbridled - and possibly masochistic - curiosity, what sort of name would you folks, O Lords of Coolness, have chosen for him?

Back