The WC3 'Heart Of The Tiger' Movie Project

Originally Posted by Queeg
Anyone else is free to change it if they want but I don't plan on doing any more work on it.

That's a shame...

I'll make the cuts and changes. I don't want any credit. It would be a work of pleasure.

Originally Posted by ChrisReid
Do you still have a higher quality/source material version of the movie?

If you do still have it, I'd like a copy too. Not just for the editing process but also so I can make a high quality dvd to go with my fancy case :D

ChrisReid said:
Do you still have a higher quality/source material version of the movie?

Unfortunately no, thats how the game looks on the pc. It's unlikely that I could get anymore quality out the source files, I had to delete them anyway for space unfortunately.

Good job Queeg! A couple of complaints though, at certain times i could hear background noise such as doorbells or birds but mostly pretty good. There was also the skipping in some parts of the conversations, that while annoying are probably pretty hard to fix. That stuff and some of the story suggestions mentioned before in this thread. Overall a good job though! Especially since it's the first of its kind.

Queeg said:
Unfortunately no, thats how the game looks on the pc. It's unlikely that I could get anymore quality out the source files, I had to delete them anyway for space unfortunately.

Hmm, maybe with the method you captured it, but the raw Wing Commander 3 video does look a bit clearer. I guess it's too late for this project, but just as a note for other projects, never delete your source files! :) If you need space somehow, we'll find a way to get these things off your hands.

ChrisReid said:
Hmm, maybe with the method you captured it, but the raw Wing Commander 3 video does look a bit clearer. I guess it's too late for this project, but just as a note for other projects, never delete your source files! :) If you need space somehow, we'll find a way to get these things off your hands.

Yeah, I actually would like to have another go from scratch now that you mention it, I do love video editing. Perhaps if I could get hold of the playstation version of the game I could cook up something pretty special. Since I've heard it has better video quality and it would be in theory quite good for ingame capture. I'll have a look around and I'll keep posting here. Perhaps there is hope for this project yet!

I still have the source video of the WC3 lying around on my other PC. It took me too long to create it for just deleting it. It was pain to extract it. First you have to extract the movie files from the CDs.
These files all contain single scenes but with all choices included as one continuing video stream. Therefore you have to split up this file with splitmve. You get a lot of smaller mve files with every camera angle change as a new file. These files you have to merge again, so that you get videos, where you have, for example, the beginning of the scene, choice A, choice B, end of the scene (sometimes more complex branching) as single video files.

The resulting mve files I have converted with HCls viewer to avi and encoded them with the lossless codec huffyuv. But still this results to a few Gigabyte of video data.

TomGaines said:
I still have the source video of the WC3 lying around on my other PC. It took me too long to create it for just deleting it. It was pain to extract it. First you have to extract the movie files from the CDs.
These files all contain single scenes but with all choices included as one continuing video stream. Therefore you have to split up this file with splitmve. You get a lot of smaller mve files with every camera angle change as a new file. These files you have to merge again, so that you get videos, where you have, for example, the beginning of the scene, choice A, choice B, end of the scene (sometimes more complex branching) as single video files.

The resulting mve files I have converted with HCls viewer to avi and encoded them with the lossless codec huffyuv. But still this results to a few Gigabyte of video data.

Yes I don't think I'm up for ripping all the pc CDs again. Good news though, I managed to get a copy of WC3 for playstation 1 on ebay. So I can record all video and in game sequences off of that. Hopefully this will result in much better video quality all round. The only thing that concerns me now is that it doesn't sound easy controlling ships with a playstation controller. I'll just have to wait and see what I can come up with. I've payed for 24 hour delivery after dispatch so hopefully it will arrive by tuesday.

Queeg said:
Yes I don't think I'm up for ripping all the pc CDs again. Good news though, I managed to get a copy of WC3 for playstation 1 on ebay. So I can record all video and in game sequences off of that. Hopefully this will result in much better video quality all round. The only thing that concerns me now is that it doesn't sound easy controlling ships with a playstation controller. I'll just have to wait and see what I can come up with. I've payed for 24 hour delivery after dispatch so hopefully it will arrive by tuesday.

The actual video and the 3d ships will look better, but the HUD and user interface will look like crap because they were redone to be readable on a TV

AD said:
The actual video and the 3d ships will look better, but the HUD and user interface will look like crap because they were redone to be readable on a TV

well I guess I shall use the PC version for some of it afterall, the HUD, that means the cockpit view right?

Sorry to double post but....

BrynS said:
Your first post in this thread suggested that you had already
completed the project and only recently discovered the CIC at the time, so I'm assuming you didn't use HCL's movie player to extract the WC3 FMV? The latest version of DOSBox (0.65) allows for video recording (which could be used to capture WC3 gameplay), but this version was released some time after you started the thread.

Thank you very much for the tip about dosbox :). The ingame recording works flawlessly and the video quality is perfect as far as I can tell. Now I can really get stuck in, the movie awaits.

Looks good, Queeg!

The improvement in visual fidelity is quite significant now that you're using the PSX version for the FMV and DOSBox for the gameplay via the PC version. The composition of gameplay shots is also improved. :)

Cheers,

Bryn

I agree.
I hope the final version will also be available in a format, which makes it easy to make a regular DVD from. Or better: A DVD image file.

Glad to see the samples are up to scratch. I could supply a DVD image file, the trouble is where would it be stored.

Hmmm, can't edit my old post.

Anyway...

1: How did you get the in-game footage widescreen? Matted it?

2: You might want to consider turning the music off, so you can edit the mission footage and add in music later that will blend better. It would give you more control and stuff, and you can even do multiple 'takes' on the missions from the other angles and stuff to really refine the whole thing. Time-consuming, but it's just a suggestion.

The PSX in-game stuff looks better than the 3DO. Even the sharpness of the HUD and stuff.

Beckmen said:
Hmmm, can't edit my old post.

Anyway...

1: How did you get the in-game footage widescreen? Matted it?

2: You might want to consider turning the music off, so you can edit the mission footage and add in music later that will blend better. It would give you more control and stuff, and you can even do multiple 'takes' on the missions from the other angles and stuff to really refine the whole thing. Time-consuming, but it's just a suggestion.

The PSX in-game stuff looks better than the 3DO. Even the sharpness of the HUD and stuff.

1. All I did was crop the video, thats why the ships look quite high on the screen, since I wanted to display the lower part of the HUD.

2. Actually that was exactly what I did, the music is from this site, I realise it's a little hard to hear, perhaps turning the sound effects down would help?

Multiple takes would certainly open up a lot more possibilities, merging them together sounds challanging but entirely possible. It would be interesting to have more camera shots from the kilrathi's point of view.

I'm not sure where the 3DO comes into this, I captured from the PC version of the game. To me the PSX in-game looks kind of, too large. Like seeing a PC at a low resolution, although I noticed the models and certain graphics looked better. Recording PSX in-game with fraps would be easier to edit, however I find it difficult to control.

Thank you for your comments though, you have great ideas here.

PS: Oh yes and I will definately go with the torrent idea, that is best for such large files. According to my calculator it will take 24 hours to upload a 4gig dvd image, wow. I guess I can always limit the speed and just let it go on for a few days.

well I have been making the most of my spare time in the summer and I just can't stop working on this project. Now the offical sample is ready, along with a nice little trailer now that almost all the videos have been captured from the playstation.

Final Sample (Megaupload)
Final Sample (Rapidshare)

Trailer (Megaupload)
Trailer (Rapidshare)

I have decided there shall be 3 versions of this film: Standard, Extended Edition and alternative ending.

Since there are a few small gaps in the story and some old favourite clips will be cut from the standard movie to keep the length down, I decided to put the clips back in and add more missions so that people that don't mind watching wing commander for over 2 hours can see more. Also I thought why not make an alternative movie where the story takes a dramatic turn and has a whole different ending.

These movies shall be uploaded to torrents for everybody to download, in two different formats. One format shall be a DVD image iso for people that wish to burn straight to DVD and watch the movie on TV perhaps. The second format shall be Xvid Avi for those who wish to download a smaller file and such.

Sorry to go on but I have carefully thought this through and wanted to let people know how well the project is going :) I really think this movie will be much better than the original. Oh and one last thing, I did manage to get a copy of the wing commander III novel so the Movie will be closer to the book than before.

Back