Sim Questions

Sternenwind said:
@Quatro
Are you telling me that there is only one way to beat my score? Cheating?
No, I'm saying the game keeps telling me I'm cheating, so I don't bother playing in the sim any more these days :p. The game checks the version of the files, and decides that it won't let me send the scores because the files I have here are different than the version it expects. Basically, some of the sim-related files have changed since episode 3... but the security mechanism hasn't been updated yet, so it still checks against the last released version, and therefore rejects my scores.

What Quarto means is: we're running Standoff with some Episode 4 alpha packages because we're working on it; since the sim can't find it's final "release" files it assumes they have been tampered with and blocks score sending. Quarto is pretty good actually... he unintentionaly made an high score for the Arrow in the confed gauntlet he meant to be beaten :p

I know that he is good^^

His Rapierscore was preatty good to^^

Only his Epeescore wasn't really hart to beat *okay it is MY Epee and will always do my best to get the Higscore there^^

but that is very sad....

Perhaps I really should fly the confederation gauntlet, but I do not like to fly against Humans... I don't really like WC 4 for that reason.....

PopsiclePete said:
What Quarto means is: we're running Standoff with some Episode 4 alpha packages because we're working on it; since the sim can't find it's final "release" files it assumes they have been tampered with and blocks score sending. Quarto is pretty good actually... he unintentionaly made an high score for the Arrow in the confed gauntlet he meant to be beaten :p

How come my scores are being sent? :confused: I am also using that alpha package, right? And there´s some recent scores of mine in the scoreboard.

Sternenwind... I prefer to kill kats also, but the Confed gauntlet is much much harder. You should try it more.

About your Sabre score... good hint... I´ll try to do something about it tonight :p

Starkey said:
How come my scores are being sent? :confused: I am also using that alpha package, right? And there´s some recent scores of mine in the scoreboard.
Because the version that reaches you testers is usually more acceptable for the security mechanism than the dirty unassembled version I use ;).

oh man
I flied the confed run again. And now I renember why I do not like to fly it.
You need luck to get realy good scores.
I flied the Wraith and at wave 11 there wehre 7 Epees and 4 rapiers...

So many darts... even with the Wraith aber i get 6 of them my afterburner where damaged by a lucky dart and than... happy exploding ^^

But it is fun to fly in a Epee against a ferret or a other Epee^^

The confed gauntlet is quite a bit harder...I feel like they are more likely to let loose their missiles. Killing kats just feels better, although I do enjoy the challenge of the confed side, but if you look at my scores you can see I'm much better at nailing kats...

Starkey said:
And I´m pretty sure that the Shoklar cloaking in Standoff can´t be done when the player is flying the ship.
Yeah, that was why I said I wouldn't mind too much if it (the cloaking) misses...

Unregistered said:
Never got the chance/computer to play Academy, nor Armada. I've missed out on those two, and a few WC1 & 2 mods. Not having the proper computer always killed me on that.
As far as the Standoff sim goes, I love flying the Arrow, as it's probably the best challenge in the game: Very light fighter, lightest armament in the game but with outstanding maneuverability and speed. It's a great challenge, and flying that fast and nimble gets addicting. My best sim scores I've recorded came in the Arrow.
Hm, now that I've come to fly the Arrow in the Sim too, I have to say I really like it - the only fighter I'm not screwed in once AB fuel runs out... ;)
(maybe besides the Wraith... Broadsword and Crossbow don't count as they were DESIGNED to work without)

Quarto said:
Huh? We haven't included any Kilrathi cockpits, so what makes you think our non-existent Kilrathi cockpits are Terran-like?
I meant seen from outside - I know there are no inside-views (...currently, as I hope). Examples for this point would be the Gratha and (sadly) the Shok'lar.

Quarto said:
By the way, please cut down on the smileys - one or two are fine, but when you include twenty of them in the same post, I get the urge to delete the whole post rather than reply, because they're so annoying.
Ok, I'll try. (and I hope you don't have a problem with a long post like this one...)

And about the top Sim-scores: How do you all get such high points anyway? Queue quick-kills all the time? I'm playing on nightmare, too, and was very glad to get one or two quick kills in a while... but then, I haven't practised very much yet.
Oh, and Confed gauntlet - will have to try that one, too...

MavS said:
And about the top Sim-scores: How do you all get such high points anyway? Queue quick-kills all the time? I'm playing on nightmare, too, and was very glad to get one or two quick kills in a while... but then, I haven't practised very much yet.
Oh, and Confed gauntlet - will have to try that one, too...

I'm thinking it's easy as pie to get quick kills with a Wraith...the ease came with it, but I just never took very well to the ship itself, as it seems (to me) a bit wobbly. Or maybe that's just after I've flown the Arrow so long that it seems that way. But for my quick kills in the Arrow, I'll go around and damage a fighter up until it reads either yellow or red in the core strength, then go and find the next one, wear it down to yellow or red, and so on. If you have a bunch of Sartha's, though, forget it...the chances for getting a dumbfire bolt right in the face by that or an accompanying Drakhri gets too high on Nightmare mode, and shooting it down with twin lasers is problematic at best. I usually blow a string of quick kills if a Sartha is in there, seeing as how it can twist around and end up pulling maneuvers before you can straighten out...that usually makes you overshoot. (That's when I morph the dying claim of, "I have been cheated of my victory!" and turn it into, "I have been cheated of my quick kill!") If you're careful, there's still plenty of afterburner fuel left. And btw, it doesn't seem to matter if you're flying at the full 800 kps after the burner fuel runs out, as the cats are all too willing to pour on their own burners and come right up after you anyway.

The combo trick with killing a heavier fighter, I've found is, if you're low on laser energy and are running out of time for the quick kill limit, pull the Nephilum trick: Ram 'em. It causes more damage than you think, and only being able to put one burst a second in is more than compensated for the ramming.

MavS said:
I meant seen from outside - I know there are no inside-views (...currently, as I hope). Examples for this point would be the Gratha and (sadly) the Shok'lar.
Well, you really can't tell anything about the cockpits looking from the outside :p. As for the inside, we have no plans for any Kilrathi cockpits - we've only got one Eder, and he's already running at full capacity.

Tigerhawk said:
I'm thinking it's easy as pie to get quick kills with a Wraith...the ease came with it, but I just never took very well to the ship itself, as it seems (to me) a bit wobbly.
I've always found it relatively hard to get quick kills with the Wraith. That is to say, it's still much easier than with most of the ships in the gauntlet... but compared with a true artist's ship like the Rapier, the Wraith's quick killing abilities are disappointing at best.

Quarto said:
Well, you really can't tell anything about the cockpits looking from the outside :p. As for the inside, we have no plans for any Kilrathi cockpits - we've only got one Eder, and he's already running at full capacity.
"running at full capacity"? Interesting formulation... You'd better let him have some life, too ;) .
About the cockpits: Well, I don't want to over-stress this, there might be others who like the ships as they are. But right now the "glass"-part of the Shok'lar reminds me of a F-16, which it didn't in Armada...

Tigerhawk said:
I'm thinking it's easy as pie to get quick kills with a Wraith...the ease came with it, but I just never took very well to the ship itself, as it seems (to me) a bit wobbly. Or maybe that's just after I've flown the Arrow so long that it seems that way.
Looks like it (the ease) just came to me, too - upped my score from 3,3k to 7120 (and it should be improvable...) . Just - the cockpit of the Wraith seems to block an annoyingly large part of view to me... (I'll call it an "balancing aspect" and let it be done with that)
And those old scores I had in my sig got mostly crunched, too:
Sabre: 1100 -> 1850 (can surely be improved...)
Rapier: 1600 -> 1850 (not so sure about improving this one)
Only the Stiletto still remains... dunno how I got those 1750, especially on my first try...

Quarto said:
I've always found it relatively hard to get quick kills with the Wraith. That is to say, it's still much easier than with most of the ships in the gauntlet... but compared with a true artist's ship like the Rapier, the Wraith's quick killing abilities are disappointing at best.
Rapier + quick kills?? Seems I'll have to practice VERY much with this one...

Tigerhawk said:
But for my quick kills in the Arrow, I'll go around and damage a fighter up until it reads either yellow or red in the core strength, then go and find the next one, wear it down to yellow or red, and so on. If you have a bunch of Sartha's, though, forget it...the chances for getting a dumbfire bolt right in the face by that or an accompanying Drakhri gets too high on Nightmare mode, and shooting it down with twin lasers is problematic at best.
A rather strategic approach... So well, I should try this - but in other fighters I wouldn't really have the nerve for it. In an Arrow, on the other hand...
And yes, Drakhris and Sarthas are quite annoying. Most problems I had so far with (in descending order) : H'hriss, Drakhri and Krant.

Tigerhawk said:
... (That's when I morph the dying claim of, "I have been cheated of my victory!" and turn it into, "I have been cheated of my quick kill!") ...
Right - those AI taunts can be quite unnerving, can't they?
But it's a big plus to me that, like the warriors they should be storywise, the Kilrathi AI can now (especially in higher waves) accept that you won.
(something I wouldn't expect the Nephilim ever to do, but then... there's lots of plot undeveloped there...)

Tigerhawk said:
The combo trick with killing a heavier fighter, I've found is, if you're low on laser energy and are running out of time for the quick kill limit, pull the Nephilum trick: Ram 'em. It causes more damage than you think, and only being able to put one burst a second in is more than compensated for the ramming.
Nice idea... but one'd better have more or less full shields for that ;) .
And what do you mean with "burst"? A ramming, thus making 1 ram/sec?

Sternenwind said:
But that no one can beat my Saber score... it is reallly really sad ^^
So then - I'll try my best to help you. Especially as the Sabre was my favourite ship in WC2+WCAc ...

Back