Sim Questions

Crazy J said:
Though, with that kind of speed and manuverability, the Arrow could outfight any Kilrathi light fighter in the game.
Oh, I doubt that. In a man-to-man fight (as opposed to a man-to-AI fight), I'd put my money on the Shok'lar.

Quarto said:
Oh, I doubt that. In a man-to-man fight (as opposed to a man-to-AI fight), I'd put my money on the Shok'lar.

Either would probably be a good bet. The trick with the Arrow is to do the "stick and move" routine, ESPECIALLY with heavy fighters like the Gothri, which are a pain in the rear to take out with an Arrow. It most certainly CAN be done...though I was kinda cursing the AI when it threw me five Gothri's in Wave 11. THAT was difficult, as the lightest fighter in that entire wave was one...ONE...Hhriss. And with my shield generator gone, it was a challenge and a half to clear that wave on Nightmare. I'm honestly surprised that I did it, though I bought it on Wave 12.

Crazy J said:
You normally only have a fighter in your sights for a second or two, and you have to kill it that time.

You should have played WC Armada... most ships there were that fast - Arrow of course being the fastest, but the medium/heavy fighters still weren't slow. ;) :D
(I found side-attacks to be near impossible - though, my aiming doesn't seem to be that good, judging by the few times I've played online so far :eek: )

...@Tigerhawk: ??? - WOW! Amazing :eek: . I just installed a few days ago and only flew about 8 campaign missions as well as giving the sim 4 runs or so (best: Sabre 1100 points) ... I'll definitely have to get back my feel for that episode of WC timeline... :( (i.e. DON'T attack frontally, stupid! :p )
Btw. , what was your highest accomplishment in the WC Academy gauntlet (if you have/had Academy) ? My best was getting to level 13 wave 3, with Sabre I think (and 13-2 with Morningstar, also quite high with Broadsword, but don't remember exactly where...) - though that was a LONG time ago... :( [edit: might have been 13-1 with Morningstar and 13-2 with Broadsword, but, as I said, I don't remember it exactly]
(Or in the WCP-Kilrathi Gauntlet... I got about 80 kittys with a Wasp, I think [on Nightmare] )

@the modders: I'd REALLY like to fly a Shok'lar in the Sim :cool: ... would you possibly include this at some point :) ? (with or without cloak - don't care too much; ... though, obviously... ;) ;) )
Oh, and... great mod :) :) .
A little criticism, though: I'd have liked the Kilrathi cockpits to look more like the originals and not that Terran-like... :( (just my personal opinion :) )

In order for them to put a ship in the sim they'd have to take one out, and it doesn't seem like that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Hm... seems so :( . Though I think I somewhere in a discussion about adding WCP- or Standoff-Multiplayer read something about "breaking the ship slots limit" or something like that.
But that might as well mean the total slots of ships in-game, and not the simulator-slots... :(

"suggestion: take out ship xxx ... *runs for life* "
- Yeah, I'd better not say something like this, should I? ;) ;) ;)

Oh, and btw... flying a Hhriss would also be nice... :)

Lt.Death100 said:
In order for them to put a ship in the sim they'd have to take one out, and it doesn't seem like that's gonna happen anytime soon.

And I´m pretty sure that the Shoklar cloaking in Standoff can´t be done when the player is flying the ship.

MavS said:
...@Tigerhawk: ??? - WOW! Amazing :eek: . I just installed a few days ago and only flew about 8 campaign missions as well as giving the sim 4 runs or so (best: Sabre 1100 points) ... I'll definitely have to get back my feel for that episode of WC timeline... :( (i.e. DON'T attack frontally, stupid! :p )
Btw. , what was your highest accomplishment in the WC Academy gauntlet (if you have/had Academy) ? My best was getting to level 13 wave 3, with Sabre I think (and 13-2 with Morningstar, also quite high with Broadsword, but don't remember exactly where...) - though that was a LONG time ago... :( [edit: might have been 13-1 with Morningstar and 13-2 with Broadsword, but, as I said, I don't remember it exactly]
(Or in the WCP-Kilrathi Gauntlet... I got about 80 kittys with a Wasp, I think [on Nightmare] )

Never got the chance/computer to play Academy, nor Armada. I've missed out on those two, and a few WC1 & 2 mods. Not having the proper computer always killed me on that.

As far as the Standoff sim goes, I love flying the Arrow, as it's probably the best challenge in the game: Very light fighter, lightest armament in the game but with outstanding maneuverability and speed. It's a great challenge, and flying that fast and nimble gets addicting. My best sim scores I've recorded came in the Arrow.

Unregistered said:
Never got the chance/computer to play Academy, nor Armada. I've missed out on those two, and a few WC1 & 2 mods. Not having the proper computer always killed me on that.

As far as the Standoff sim goes, I love flying the Arrow, as it's probably the best challenge in the game: Very light fighter, lightest armament in the game but with outstanding maneuverability and speed. It's a great challenge, and flying that fast and nimble gets addicting. My best sim scores I've recorded came in the Arrow.

Yeah, that was me. Stupid login memory went away for some reason...

Unregistered said:

Fortunately, they're both cheap and can be easily played in DOSBox today.

MavS said:
A little criticism, though: I'd have liked the Kilrathi cockpits to look more like the originals and not that Terran-like...(just my personal opinion)
Huh? We haven't included any Kilrathi cockpits, so what makes you think our non-existent Kilrathi cockpits are Terran-like?

By the way, please cut down on the smileys - one or two are fine, but when you include twenty of them in the same post, I get the urge to delete the whole post rather than reply, because they're so annoying.

ChrisReid said:

True true...I just have to dig my copies out, get the DOSBox running and play 'em. I still have my 12 year old copy of all the WC1&2 (plus mods) on CD (I think...I have to find them, actually), plus my Kilrathi Saga set that I'd gotten from eBay a couple of years ago (same thing). Guess I've been getting a little too spoiled by the awesome playability of Standoff. (Damn that addicting Sim! ~~~)

ChrisReid said:

Grrr, Chris...thanks a lot, now you've got me cruising that EvilInternetSpace known as eBay for a new copy of the old stuff...

You may now laugh at my pain...heh

The sim is quite addictive I agree...I often find myself playing the fleet assault mission over and over again in different fighters trying to survive long enough to destroy at least the Ralatha on level 3

Dundradal said:
The sim is quite addictive I agree...I often find myself playing the fleet assault mission over and over again in different fighters trying to survive long enough to destroy at least the Ralatha on level 3

I couldn't even begin to touch the Ralatha with the Crossbow. The absence of afterburners is a serious handicap when fighters get too close, plus the fact that they're a real help when you're trying to duck and weave against flak cannons. I have too many fighters harassing me to even begin to think about taking the Ralatha, though the Kamekh's go down kind of quickly. In a Sabre, though, it's an entirely different story. I had no problems whatsoever clearing it...though I was the last fighter in the air when I took down the Ralatha.

Oh, have I ever mentioned the fact that I HATE trying to take down Broadswords with an Arrow on the Confed gauntlet?

Oh it is very easy to kill a Broadsword in an Arrow as long as you have your darts left^^ Otherwise it will be a long fight ^^

There is only one thing I am sad about. No one is trying to beat my scores.
I hadNt time fpr the game for a while but my scores wasn't beaten... really sad ;(

Sternenwind said:
Oh it is very easy to kill a Broadsword in an Arrow as long as you have your darts left^^ Otherwise it will be a long fight ^^

There is only one thing I am sad about. No one is trying to beat my scores.
I hadNt time fpr the game for a while but my scores wasn't beaten... really sad ;(

I'd actually tried that. Maybe the difference is playing it on Nightmare vs. any other level. A Broadsword takes a Dart hit and just smiles at you, laughing. Either way it goes, after Wave 5, the number of Broadswords vastly outnumber the two Darts that are hanging from your wingtips.

Well, then, apparantly most of us aren't as good. I'd reached Wave 14 in an Arrow, and I'm still roughly 3000 or so from your score. I'm happy enough that I have the (I believe) #5 score in an Arrow for the Kilrathi gauntlet.

The Arrow can outfly anything, but its attack strength is quite light. It's niche seems to be chasing down light and medium fighters, not bombers and corvettes. I can see why Confed chose to sacrifice some of the speed for a double load of guns and missiles in the interceptor version used in WC3/4. Against a bomber I would rather have a solid Rapier or Sabre, but against any light fighter I would definitely want the Arrow.

Tigerhawk said:
I'd actually tried that. Maybe the difference is playing it on Nightmare vs. any other level. A Broadsword takes a Dart hit and just smiles at you, laughing. Either way it goes, after Wave 5, the number of Broadswords vastly outnumber the two Darts that are hanging from your wingtips.

Well, then, apparantly most of us aren't as good. I'd reached Wave 14 in an Arrow, and I'm still roughly 3000 or so from your score. I'm happy enough that I have the (I believe) #5 score in an Arrow for the Kilrathi gauntlet.

I always play at nightmare;)
And I know that one dart can't kill a broadsword, but if you kill the schield of the brodsword and than fire Your dart, than it isn't very hard to kill the roadsword, but it is really hard to take tem out in an Arrow.

My Favorite Ship is the Epee, I liked it in WC2 and know the Epee is much better because now it is really hard to take out a tiny ship^^

And to my scors.

I only flied two the Sabre two times or so and I still got the Highscore, that is Something I can't belive.

My Wright, Epee, Mornigstar, Crossbow and Rapierscore are really High, also the Raptor Hornet ect.

But if you look at the Sabre. It schouldn't be too hard to beat that score^^

And to the Arrow, It is funny, It was my second try in the Arrow and still no one was abel to beat it, Okay Jarmok was preatty near the score but he didn't beat it^^

I hope the day will come, when we can fly against each other.
Or the Day when Episode 4 is realeased^^

Sternenwind said:
And to the Arrow, It is funny, It was my second try in the Arrow and still no one was abel to beat it, Okay Jarmok was preatty near the score but he didn't beat it
Hehe, I've been meaning to take a stab at that score for quite a while now, but alas - the stupid anti-cheating mechanism keeps telling me I'm not allowed to send my scores because it has doubts about my Standoff installation (since obviously, I've got some ep.4 stuff in there that the security mechanism hasn't been programmed to recognise) :p.

@Quatro
Are you telling me that there is only one way to beat my score? Cheating?

That can't be true...

But I tried several times the Arrow again and I was only by 4000 or so.... I have no Idea how I got the points. It was so easy at the first run, but than...

Same for the Crossbow. No idea how much luck I had to get this much points^^

But that no one can beat my Saber score... it is reallly really sad ^^

Back