Raptors Firing Arcs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eder said:
The best WC fighter of fifteen years before our plot, anyway :p (which is also the reason for the Hornet's updated armament).

We're not making any changes to the Raptor... it's not my fault Origin drew a ship whose cannons are 10 meters above the cockpit and 20 meters apart from each other. :p

Wait, you're trying to tell him that you're not going to mimic what Origin did with their Raptor in the original WC1 game by making the guns converge in a manner that actually made them effective, because you're more interested in keeping the model physically realistic? I'm glad to see you think you know more than the original creators.

The question is? What are you more concerned with...trying to make a game that feels like the original Wing Commander (1/2) or a game that is physically realistic? If your answer is the latter then you're way off course. You need to implement newtonian physics, eliminate sounds of explosions etc.

Now, I'm sure the Origin game programmer(s) were saying the exact same thing back then when they implemented the Raptor's guns in the game. "Stupid designers, didn't make the ship right, no way I can fix the gun convergence...it doesn't make realistic sense! All the players will instantly recognize this and thereby hate our game!" By golly, if that programmer had just stood up to the higher ups and made the gun convergence like you seem to think it should be, the Raptor would be everyone's most hated ship from WC1.

Just fix the guns, and quite whining about how "realistic" your ship is. Make it like Origin's that all anyone wants to compare it to.

As i said beforce, maybe you could use those "pylons" for Missiles. :) I´ve now changed the mass driver with WCPEDIT, so they are (a little bit) more in center and (a little bit more) deeper. And yes, it works nicely. Now you really hit the enemy, and the Raptor aren´t just a great looking ship, she´s also a biting one.

Btw. Quarto: Your hint works very well. Thanks alot :)

Superhannes said:
As i said beforce, maybe you could use those "pylons" for Missiles. :)
No, I couldn't, because the pylons aren't used for missiles in WC1. They're used for mass drivers. Which are 20 meters apart. And which only hit something in WC1 because WC1's engine didn't have the ships in proper scaling at all. But I can't make the Prophecy engine use dimensionless 2d sprites.

Maj.Striker said:
Just fix the guns, and quite whining about how "realistic" your ship is. Make it like Origin's that all anyone wants to compare it to.
I doubt you're trying to seriously argue anything here since I've already covered all those points, so I'm just going to have to ask you to stop being stupid on my forum.

This thread is now closed, since I'm tired of explaining the same thing over and over - seems like you will have to quit whining.

Maj.Striker said:
Wait, you're trying to tell him that you're not going to mimic what Origin did with their Raptor in the original WC1 game by making the guns converge in a manner that actually made them effective, because you're more interested in keeping the model physically realistic? I'm glad to see you think you know more than the original creators.
What the hell are you talking about? We don't think we know more than the original creators - that's why we are sticking to the canon, and that's why the Raptor is 36 metres long.

Origin screwed up the scale in WC1, giving the fighers completely crazy dimensions on paper, and completely different dimensions in the game. That's not our fault, and we sure ain't happy about it - but as a fan project, we have a certain responsibility in keeping to the official WC stats. And I don't see where you get off yelling at us for trying to be faithful to the canon.

Now, if this was a WC1-centred project, where ships like the Raptor played a dominant role - then I'd be all for breaking the canon for the sake of playability. Sure, there'd be a big debate then about how we're screwing with the canon and how we think we know better than the original creators (...sigh)... but it would be worth it.

However, the Raptor is completely irrelevant to Standoff. It doesn't ever appear in any campaign mission. The only reason it's included in the game at all is because at some point, Eder felt like making a Raptor model. That's all. That being the case, I don't see why we should waste time creating useless controversy about how we think the Raptor should be 27 metres long or whatever. It would be worth it for a WC1 project, it's not worth it here.

Frankly, right now I'm thinking the best solution would be to remove the Raptor from the sim. I mean really, it's just not worth the trouble - we solve this one way and you yell at us, we solve it the other way and someone else will yell at us. And for what? A completely optional extra that's included in Standoff only because Eder likes to spend his time on WC models?

We appreciate reasonable feedback about how we can improve the game, but this ain't reasonable - this is the kind of bitching that seems to imply that you're taking our time and effort entirely for granted, and that you think we're making this project just for you. We don't ask for much - but sometimes, a little appreciation would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back