Piloting Flaw

In WC1 and WC2 about 60% of the damage I incurred was due to collisions with Kat fighters. I too was just horrible about matching speed.

I get killed a lot by kamikaze Kilrathi in those games too... other than that though I'm pretty good at stuff like Standoff, I don't go crazy and suicidally follow one target while getting shot at or anything like that. But I've been playing Wing Commander for 12 years so it's only natural ;-P.

Btw I love the 1 hit missile kills in WC4. In earlier games I tended to just ignore missiles and let them bounce off my shields. WC4 though you spend half the engagement flying like crazy and screaming "oh frak oh frak oh frak running running running..." while the missile lock alarm is blaring in your headphones. You can get creamed pretty easily in even the slightest skirmish.

In WC1 and WC2 about 60% of the damage I incurred was due to collisions with Kat fighters. I too was just horrible about matching speed.

OI close range combat... its why I hated the Gothri... those damn rear guns always cut me to ribbons. I never had a collision problem.

Like I said earlier I tend to eject, but after practice I've learned the situations to eject. Like in Prophecy, getting nailed to the point where your ship says "Eject" is NOT enough to force me out. It is when I get to that point and I am getting crushed by gunfire and I got a missile lock is when I decide "time to go". OR I gather damage to the point of about 90-99 percent damage. Trust me, if you fight to the death and your near any of those spots, take the chance. Unless it is a strike mission on carriers, then go to the death. :p

And the other 39.2% was from your own wingman trying to shoot through your ship to get to the enemy.:mad:
Same with Prophecy. Even more so with Standoff, through no fault of the Standoff team. Many's the time that the last thing Bradshaw ever heard over his headset:

"Fox One!"

And the other 39.2% was from your own wingman trying to shoot through your ship to get to the enemy.
How true. My biggest problem in WC and the thing that pissed me off most.
Especially in wc2 in epees or sabres... What can i say, im an assault type of person :D

Strange, I can't seem to recall much in the way of friendly fire incidents in the older WCs. The worst I had was the Cerberus blasting me with its plasma cannon in WCSO. And they wonder why "Alpha One" is always itching to fire on them. :)

Oh yes, and more recently, the last two Standoff simulator missions: the wingmen seem to like "shooting through you, not around you". At least when they're not ejecting and deducting points from your score... :(

I constantly had my wingmen trying to shoot my target from directly behind me in WC2...

Happened to me as well, especially in those missions when you had three wingmen.

Still, I am certain that I have been shot down more often by the Cerberus.

Yeah, the "BFG" gunner on the Cerberus definitely needs to see an eyedoctor, pronto.

I have, though, actually had my wingman shooting at me to get at my target, though not get shot down by it. Hobbes and Maniac (both in WC2) were particularly prone to this.

I just noticed another piloting flaw I have... this doesn't happen a lot in Prophecy, but in the harder difficulty in standoff, I have kilrathi ships launching torpedoes at the Firekka left and right. I rush all over the place shooting them down only for more to keep coming (I forget what mission this was, but it also happened inWCs 3, 4, and a little in P). I'd wind up getting so mad and so sick of chasing these missiles down that (without even thinking about it) when it looked like I wasn't going to be able to shoot the missile before it hit the carrier, so instead i'd hit my afterburners and ram the missile (Air Force One style) and save the Firekka, but killing myself in the process. (BEST DEATH EVER)

I just noticed another piloting flaw I have... this doesn't happen a lot in Prophecy, but in the harder difficulty in standoff, I have kilrathi ships launching torpedoes at the Firekka left and right. I rush all over the place shooting them down only for more to keep coming (I forget what mission this was, but it also happened inWCs 3, 4, and a little in P). I'd wind up getting so mad and so sick of chasing these missiles down that (without even thinking about it) when it looked like I wasn't going to be able to shoot the missile before it hit the carrier, so instead i'd hit my afterburners and ram the missile (Air Force One style) and save the Firekka, but killing myself in the process. (BEST DEATH EVER)

If I'm remembering right I think capship torpedoes always got lauched in waves in at least some of the games. I don't remember ever having to chase more than 3 capship missiles in a row in WC3. My problem with them were missions in Secret ops where I didn't realize the first time why my ships were going down because I never noticed the capship missiles the first time.

The style differs, you know...
When fighting AI enemy - I am arrogant and really less than adequate dogfighter.
Burn towards enemy, shoot from flanks and tail, and repeat it again and again.
Looks like I can't have respect for AI :)

When fighting my friend (he's flying Phantom, me flying Dralthi) is a different story.
We both dive, turn, evade like crazy and it is really much fun :)

Though I've seen guys who even PvP do fly dumb frontal attacks again and again.
They may be very precise in aiming the target, but it is really no fun at all...

I've been killed more than a few times going head to head with the AI, guess I should have know better than to attack a wing of Vaktoh's head in my Arrow.

My gun accuracy is miserable. The target pretty much has to fly in a straight line for me to hit it, or I have to be right up its tail pipes. Especially in WC3 and WC4. WCs 1, 2, and P were a little different, because, oddly enough, timing your bursts, regardless of ITTS, was a little easier. Broader projectiles, too, I think.

I've also seen more than my fair share of missiles go straight up my nose in a head-on approach. Especially when I played UE and fought those Salthis in the third mission. The last sound I heard, usually, was the "fwoosh" of a dumbfire leaving its hardpoint.

I'm also horrible about getting picked apart by turrets, in pretty much any WC game. Flak, laser, missile, bubble gum, whatever, it didn't matter. It all seems to find its way to me.

Back