Navy / Space Force / Marine Ranks

Yep, with the Space Force largely replacing naval aviation. We do know that naval aviation still exists, e.g Tolwyn and Bear, but most planes operating off carriers seem to be SF rather than Navy.

Best, Raptor

...and because, if we extrapolate, the US would probably still be a superpower in 2600, hence in the position to impose their ranking system on the rest of the Confederation... :)

That one's debatable, actually. Very few powers in the modern world (and by modern I mean anything after the middle ages) have been able to maintain their power for more than 500 years. The next century will probably be very interesting in that regard, with China and/or a possible united Europe emerging as possible competitors to the US.

Best, Raptor

There seems to be three branches of the Confed military, Marines, Navy and Space Force. The Navy has officers and crewman who work on capships, the Space Force is the pilots on those capships and elsewhere that fly fighters and their support personnel on starbases and planets. Support personnel aboard capships (fighter maintanence and techs) are Navy.

It is relatively easy to move between Navy and the Space Force as shown by Bonderevsky in End Run, Hobbes in WC3, Blair in Prophecy and Tolwyn in Action Stations.

Originally posted by Raptor
Very few powers in the modern world (and by modern I mean anything after the middle ages) have been able to maintain their power for more than 500 years. The next century will probably be very interesting in that regard, with China and/or a possible united Europe emerging as possible competitors to the US.
Well yes... but we're talking about a MAJOR superpower here... both economically and military-wise. I mean ok, England was very powerful during the colonization and Imperialism period... but were they significantly superior economically to their fellow neighbors? Did they have nuclear weapons by the thousand? :)

I would expect this "500 year rule" you mention Raptor, to increase exponentially as time goes on...

But as always, the future is unpredictable... :)

I can't see countries "gang-banging" the US anytime soon. Sure, something could erupt with China or whatnot, but I don't think everyone is just going to call the US evil and attack. Especially since we have Nato and all that shiznit. And besides, if the US actually got invaded (as well as any country in the Americas), every other country in the Americas is supposed to help out from some treaty thing. I forget what it's called or if it's even still in effect today.

Even if the US were to be invaded, it wouldnt last long at all, since the US military has "Full Specrum Dominance" in all areas of military power. It would be very difficult for any country, even China, to inflict any serious damage to the US, unless they fired a nuke at us, even then the US would launch everything in its silos and wipe China off the face of the Earth, that is if anything is left of Earth afterwards. But any country intending to invade or start a war with the US, there has been a long standing policy since the end of WWII, and that is...Equal and mutual distruction.

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 05-14-2001 at 17:15]

however with this missile defence, MAD is no longer an option, if the US insist on this then there is gonna be all out war.

Originally posted by Madman
however with this missile defence, MAD is no longer an option, if the US insist on this then there is gonna be all out war.

I doubt Mutually Assured Destruction was ever an option. It's not like there was some kinda MAD button on the President's desk which is no longer fucntional for some reason.

I think you mean the Organization of American States, Ladiesman. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's still around, like any of those countries would be of help in an invasion. And even though MAD is gone with the START, SALT, and other alphabet soup treaties, it worked for 40 years. Personally, I liked the idea since there was no way in hell anyone could launch a preemptive strike without the retaliatory strike wiping everyone off the face of the planet. Now, with the reductions, some lunatic might think he (or she) has a chance. Oh, the president has that briefcase of his, it holds all the codes and junk for the US nuclear silos.

AP US History rocks!!!

Currently, no. In the future, though it shouldn't be taken for granted. For anyone who's interested in this, check out a good future thriller called "Invasion" by Eric. L Harry.

Best, Raptor

Back