Navy / Space Force / Marine Ranks

How old do you guys think you'll live to be. We haven't even been out of our own solar system yet. The only planet we could possibly live on would be Mars and that is a long way off. But I do agree that it would be awesome to travel in space and live elsewhere.

i think i got another 50 to 60 years on me. Im only 20. We've been going slow right now, but as soon as we get going you'll be surprised on how fast things happen. We went from absolutely nothing to being on the moon in just nine years after all.

Good point , I'm only 29 but I still think we need a major discovery to launch us 'to infinity and beyond'. Who knows , I hope your right.

Either we need reusable rocket boosters or be able to takeoff from the ground like a plane and get into space. Buzz Aldrin has a great plan for that, commercializing space travel and making it accessable to everyone.

Originally posted by Ashman
How old do you guys think you'll live to be. We haven't even been out of our own solar system yet. The only planet we could possibly live on would be Mars and that is a long way off. But I do agree that it would be awesome to travel in space and live elsewhere.

Which is why I said "other planets in our solar system.", The current estimate is that we can land people on Mars by 2020 or so, at which point I'll only be 42 odd. With a little luck, I'll live to see the first colonies on Mars and maybe on a couple of other planets or moons.

Best, Raptor

Well, you will say that i'm stupid (no, no, i'm just french, and it's quite difficult to me), but who is part of Space Forces ?
I mean, when confed needs soldiers, they send Marines... Vessel's crew are part of the Navy...
So what are Space Forces ??

I guess the equivalent of today's Air Force.

Originally posted by Raptor

Well, the Terran Confederation *does* consist of more than just America. :) To be honest, I's surprised that the Confed system (not just the military, but the political structure, the location of the capitol ect.) is as closely modelled on America as it is. (...)
Best, Raptor

Probably that is because it is an American game. ;)

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 05-13-2001 at 13:13]

That's right. The Space Force guys are the pilots. Blair's part of the Space Force. They fly the fighters.

That's what you're wondering about, right?

Doesn't the Navy have fighters and such too? Like today aren't the fighters on a carrier Navy fighters? So wouldn't the pilots on carriers be Navy pilots? I'm not a crazy military person so I don't know if i'm 100% correct, but that's how I understand it.

But what you will use as an airfield in the space ???
Maybe there is Squadrons of SF and Squadrons of Navy in a carrier

Originally posted by NoRemorse
Blair is part of the Space Forces ? I thought he was in the Navy... help, I'm getting crazy !!!

While he was flying fighters he belonged to the Space Force(and a bit longer perhaps). Once he was made chief (or whatever) of the Midway project he changed to Navy. So in WC1-4 he is Space force and in WCP he is Space Navy.
That's how I figured it out anyway, not that it is necessarily 100% correct...

So, if I understand, Bear was part of the Space Forces on the Gettysburg, and join the Navy as soon as he become commander of the Tarawa ?

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

Probably that is because it is an American game.
...and because, if we extrapolate, the US would probably still be a superpower in 2600, hence in the position to impose their ranking system on the rest of the Confederation... :)

But yes, I think the reason you suggested makes more sense. ;)

My guess is that in Confed, the carriers are operated by the navy and the Space Forces are the equivalent of the Air Force (there's no colonel in the Navy). That's also probably why Blair said he was the equivalent of a Captain in Forstchen's "Heart of the Tiger"

Back