Lost fighter?

Viper61 said:
Hellcat carried Neutrons and Ions, more powerful combination than the Arrows Lasers and Ions.

C-ya

Don't talk dirty. The Hellcat was seriously upgraded after the war, to Particle guns and Ion guns

During the war, however both Arrow and Hellcat had the same combination of guns up front: Lasers and Ion guns... :p

Fruitcake said:
During the war, however both Arrow and Hellcat had the same combination of guns up front: Lasers and Ion guns... :p
Go play the game, then come talk to me (to save you the trouble, the Victory Streak/Ships database doesn't mesh with the Hellcats armament in-game :D)

C-ya

I'm not kidding, I don't have to play the game to know...

Here you go "One Hellcat V, locked loaded prepped and ready to kick some ass" :rolleyes:

WC3 Hellcat V

Class Medium Fighter
Manufactured By Douglas Aerospace
Length 27 meters
Mass 14 metric tonnes
Max Velocity 420 kps
Acceleration 225 k/s^2
Max Afterburner Velocity 1200 kps
Max Afterburner Acceleration 900 k/s^2
Max Y/P/R 60/60/60 deg/s
Guns Laser Guns (2), Ion Guns (2)
Missile Hardpoints 2x3 (3IR/3IR)
Missile Decoys 24
Front Shield 250 cm
Rear Shield 250 cm
Front Armor 100 cm
Rear Armor 100 cm
Right/Left Armor 80 cm
Jump Capable No

Viper61 said:
Go play the game, then come talk to me (to save you the trouble, the Victory Streak/Ships database doesn't mesh with the Hellcats armament in-game :D)

C-ya

Damn... are you sure? :(

I remember lasers and ions though but maybe that's a hole in my head. :mad:

Viper's right.

From what I remember LOAF telling me a long time ago, the original plan was to have the Hellcat with lasers and ions, but in the last minute, someone said "hey, wouldn't it be cool to throw in neutrons?". So the change happened in game but too late to change the manual.

And the Hellcat had 220 cm shields during WC3. It was upgraded in WC4.

They actually planned to give Hellcat the same gun loadout as the Arrow? :eek: That'd made her then really useless. Or would she carry more lasers and Ions than the Arrow, respectively the Arrow less armament?

McGruff said:
Didn't the traitor in the first cartoon episode take off from earth in an Arrow?

You're right. There are a some of WC fighters that seem to be atmosphere capable which you couldn't tell from the looks.

The Hellcat is supposed to be useless, it's the "intro" ship... the bland fighter that the player gets used to playing the game in at first.

But yeah, everyone is right - the manuals all list the wrong loadout for the Hellcat. In the actual game, it has more powerful guns.

overmortal said:
Also, I think WC3 spoils the player by allowing them to choose what ship they want to fly. I prefer WC games where you're told what ship to fly, and you're just thankful to be cruising the vacuum in something that'll defend itself.

In a game where you're not IN CHARGE, that may be more realistic. If I'm the Colonel, I'm flying whatever the hell I want to fly because I'm IN CHARGE of the planes. And if you go off doing your own thing, I'll ground your ass. :D

That's what I'm saying. All the people who can't hack it in a Hellcat will go for the other ships. If you were a regular pilot, and got assigned to a Hellcat squadron, then you like the Hellcat (like it or not!), cause you're stuck in it.

Ripper said:
In a game where you're not IN CHARGE, that may be more realistic. If I'm the Colonel, I'm flying whatever the hell I want to fly because I'm IN CHARGE of the planes. And if you go off doing your own thing, I'll ground your ass. :D

That's very true. Still, I think for the game balance/fun they should have made the Hellcat a bit more usfeul (increas it's speed to 450, increase it's agility a bit etc..., it wouldn't have diminuished it's value as a generic spacecraft in which to learn the basics) so that the Player has an actually choice between all fighters. It's a bit like in Priv2 where you have a wide selection of fighters to fly but only 4 or so are actually worth it.

I never looked at it the way Overmortal implied (if I understood you correctly), though: using the Hellcat as a challenge. Beaten WC3 on Nightmare? Well, try to beat it on Nightmare only with a Hellcat.
I pretty sure too that I wouldn't have liked the Hellcat if I were assigend to it.

Mekt-Hakkikt said:
They actually planned to give Hellcat the same gun loadout as the Arrow? :eek: That'd made her then really useless. Or would she carry more lasers and Ions than the Arrow, respectively the Arrow less armament?

You're right. There are a some of WC fighters that seem to be atmosphere capable which you couldn't tell from the looks.

Sorry but the cartoons have really nothing to do with the game... I mean in the cartoon ships die by 1 or 2 laser hits. That never happends in the game.

Yeah, they really just called it 'Wing Commander' and used all the same ships, characters and actors by accident.

The Fly said:
Sorry but the cartoons have really nothing to do with the game... I mean in the cartoon ships die by 1 or 2 laser hits. That never happends in the game.

Oh yes, it happens: especially with Salthis, Sarthas and Strakhas (WC2) :p

Isn't the main difference between the Arrow and the Hellcat that only the Hellcat is capable of Space AND Atmosphere flight and the Arrow can only fly in space?

Err, not sure what you mean:

As already someone pointed out in this thread, we see in the WC Academy TV series (1st episode) how an Arrow takes off from a planet, thus it quite seems to be capable of flying in space and atmosphere, like the Hellcat,
And of course the Arrow and Hellcat are completely different ships, in terms of weapons, speed, maneuverability, protection and looks.

The Fly said:
If you have a problem with that, look at it the way I do. There are very few instances when ships go down immediately with a confirmed 'single' hit. There are tons where the camera goes in for the 'death shot' on both Kilrathi and Confed fighters. Whos to say they hadn't taken shield damage before the camera cuts to them?

C-ya

Darkets are the only WC3 ships that give me any trouble on Nightmare (as far as tracking them down and hitting them). Even in an Arrow, you spend most of your time on the afterburner, chasing the suckers down. It's just very time (and fuel) consuming.

The Fly said:

Haven't watched the Privateer intro lately, have you...

yeah, the first laser shot takes out the pirates front shields, the next one or two take out the armor and destroy the ship. be aweome if that could be done ingame.

Back