Laugh At Me For I Am Stupid OR Legal Questions Someone Has To Be Able To Answer

I think antman and Preacher had a lovechild.

And Bummblefuck Connecticut is where Frosty lives.

Nemesis said:
Sounds like Connecticut does it quite differently from, say, New Jersey then. There, you can generally mail in the ticket only if you mark “guilty” and include a check for the fine. If you choose to plead “not guilty”, the ticket states you must appear in court to defend yourself, and notes the specific date and time as well. I guess Connecticut’s process takes an extra, and probably much more time-consuming, step.

Good luck with it.

Nope thats CT. Unless it is a major infraction such as reckless driving then you have to show. Otherwise just send in a check.

LeHah just go to court on the day your told to and bring the registration. When the prosecuter calls you up to discuss the case, apologize to no end and show them the up to date registration. You will most likly get to leave shortly after.

Don't try to fight CSP, you will lose. I only know one guy who won and he was a dispatcher for Troop A in Southbury and knew that the cop f*ucked up by using the wrong charge. The cop wouldn't drop it and when it went to court the judge yelled at the cops for screwing over a medic and dispatcher. He won a good civil suit against em. But pretty much whatever the staties want to do they will do it and get away with it.

Jim

Yes, I think Erkle's approach is the best. If you show them that you have already registered again (and expeditiously, at that), they'll probably just let you go. I've seen it happen in the courts over hear more times than I can count (and I can count pretty high).

Ah, cut him a little slack. Poor guy has already screwed over his promotion aspects all he has left is his humor...singular though it may be.

Maj.Striker said:
Ah, cut him a little slack. Poor guy has already screwed over his promotion aspects all he has left is his humor...singular though it may be.

Which reminds me: What's up with the ranks these days. I seem to have been promoted and demoted quite randomly. Major->1.lt->major. :confused:

Sphynx said:
Yes, I think Erkle's approach is the best. If you show them that you have already registered again (and expeditiously, at that), they'll probably just let you go. I've seen it happen in the courts over hear more times than I can count (and I can count pretty high).

But if they want to be pricks about it, all they have to do is ask, "Was your registration expired when the nice officer pulled you over?" If you say yes, they can say "Guilty. Pay up." If you say no, then you get into all the nasty perjury stuff. Best is to show that you got it taken care of, (as others said), and absolutely do not give the cop or anyone else any crap. That's the only way you'll get off. :eek:

Dyret said:
Which reminds me: What's up with the ranks these days. I seem to have been promoted and demoted quite randomly. Major->1.lt->major. :confused:
I'm sure you're imagining things.

Ripper said:
Best is to show that you got it taken care of, (as others said), and absolutely do not give the cop or anyone else any crap. That's the only way you'll get off. :eek:

If they make me go to court, I won't see that day until September or October though.

Maj.Striker said:

That, and my rapidly fading youth.

If they make me go to court, I won't see that day until September or October though.

That surprises me. Are you sure? The “flow” in traffic courts is usually pretty efficient. (To take New Jersey again as an example, the time, date, and location of the court session is written on the ticket by the cop or trooper, and is typically no more than a month away.)

In any event, if and when you go to court, you need to try to speak to either the cop or the prosecutor before your case is formally called. That’s the only time they will have the discretion to decide not to go forward and let you off the hook (or otherwise agree to recommend to the judge that you pay only the least fine). Once the case is called and you’re in front of the judge however, only the judge can decide your fate, and I would think he or she will have to find you guilty, because on the facts that you’ve related you are.

As for “winning over” the cop and/or prosecutor, there are four things that can help you: 1) you came to court and so have been inconvenienced and so punished a bit already; 2) you have no–or alternatively, very few and hopefully “old”–points on your license; 3) you immediately got the registration renewed; and 4) your failure to renew the registration on time was not intentional or uncaring. Of course the first will be obvious to them and they’ll likely (in their preparation for court) be well aware of the story on the second, so that leaves the last two for you.

Good luck.

Nemesis said:
That surprises me. Are you sure? The “flow” in traffic courts is usually pretty efficient.

My friend Kostas got pulled over in October. He was finally served his appearance in court papers last week (for April).

Well what was he pulled over for...a DUI? Certain things can take longer than others. Anyway, Lehah, if you don't mind paying the money then just put a check in the mail to them and forget about it. If you really want to keep the cash then go to the police station and just talk to the officer on duty, show him that you had the car registered that day and see what he says. He'll either say, "Pay it." or he'll tell you what you need to do to get out of it.

The petty traffic stuff takes forever in CT. If it is something more serious you will not only get a ticket (citation) but a summons to show in court. A summons will get the ball rolling fast so the facts of the case are still fresh in the cops mind. A citation will not bring the cop in for the first court appearance. You will go in with a large group of other ne'er do wells, and talk to the prosecuter. The prosecuter will call you up, read the file ask if you have any record then ask if you fixed it (in cases of registration) then will tell you a fine or let you go. You have the option to plead when told the fine and if you want a trial then you stand before the judge later that day and plead. A trial date is then set and the cop will show up then. Plan on spending several hours there or show up very early based on your court district.

My wife got a speeding ticket when 8 mths preg. When our son was 6mths old, she had her court appointment. On the flip side I got a bogus reckless charge from a statie (and I mean a pissed off rookie cop kinda bogus) and had to show 2 wks later.

Just show up and show proof of registration and tell them you didn't realize it was expired and you know that that is not an excuse but it is the truth and you would never think of lying to the judicial system.

Good Luck

Jim

You will go in with a large group of other ne'er do wells . . .

Without question, local municipal or trial courts are almost always fascinating fish bowls, with personal histories that run the gamut of fantastic to funny to sad to tragic.

Back